PDA

View Full Version : Work slow downs

lordairgtar
04-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Rally_scort's thread has me thinking again. (which is dangerous) We are working less hours due to no work coming in. I want to get in there and get whatever job I'm assigned finished and move to the next one. A department Supervisor told me I should slow my pace so her workers don't have to keep up with me. WTF! I know times are difficult, but the boss figured cut hours was better than laying off people. Since my work sometimes means I stay a couple of hours later than the rest of the shop, they, I think, are jealous. I'm in the middle of making video camera boxes for another company's QC program and it's fiddly work involving soldering LEDs, chips and wires to a circuit board, then assembling the camera into an aluminum box. The other department is just cutting and crimping cables. On top of this, I must also inspect other department's work before the items can be boxed and shipped. Question...should I ignore this supervisor's request and continue on with the way I do my work? I'm going to do what I do in the manner I've always done it. It bothers me that someone in authority (not my immediate super) would have me "dog it". I usually answer only to the main floor manager or the owner.

Crawlin
04-21-2011, 06:40 AM
look out for number one.... YOU.

in this economy if you feel that this may endanger your future prospects within the company, or just your job in general, I wouldn't do it and I would raise a question TO your supervisor in a descreet way(if possible) to bring up what their ideas are in regards to this economic climate. You don't have to say it point blank. Maybe...

"I have heard and been advised to reduce productivity in an effort to allow others to keep up. Is this a corporate policy or something that is a job saver, etc.??"

I mean you can think of better wording, but I definitely wouldn't be looking out for anyone else but yourself. It will always come back on you.

lordairgtar
04-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Luckily, some more camera work came in that is in my area. I don't have to deal with the other department for now. I've been told by the owner he knows people are "doggin' it" to keep the hours up. Since everyone has to scan jobs in and out when complete, he can see what jobs are moving slow and which are getting done on time or under allotted time. The bunch in the back who are slacking right now are usually fast and efficient, but I think they are getting tired of the half days we are going through and they think that by working slower, the hours will come back. I am getting used to the three day weekends. It's going to be hard to get back to full time, but I would rather have the hours.

Prince Valiant
04-21-2011, 06:51 PM
You're always paid for your best work...the value of that might change from time to time, but always remember...you're always paid to do the best you can.