PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment info needed

rally_scort
04-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Is there any resources avaliable online, with the ground rules of unemployment eligibility? I'll be honest, i plan to leave my current employer with just cause, but id like to know what guidelines need to be followed to be eligible for unemployment. I was told you cannot voluntarily quit, and cannot be fired for attendance purposes in order to receive unemployment. I do plan to pursue another job, before i end this one. I just want to try and ensure i have unemployment to fall back on if need be. Ill try and explain more about the situation, if its relevant to get the answers im looking for.Thanks in advance :D

awsomeears
04-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Your best bet is to call them............

Yooformula
04-20-2011, 07:38 PM
if you have actual documentation supporting your claims for "just cause" then you would win an ue case. If I were you, I would call them and explain to a case worker and get the "official" opinion, dont base your ue benefits on any of our opinions!

rally_scort
04-20-2011, 07:56 PM
if you have actual documentation supporting your claims for "just cause" then you would win an ue case. If I were you, I would call them and explain to a case worker and get the "official" opinion, dont base your ue benefits on any of our opinions!

Just cause, in this case, is hinged on a refusal to acknowledge my 90 day review.This review would come with a mandatory raise, as well as a performance review.Ive been with this company for just short of 6 months.Ive been as far as chatting with the CEO of the company about the matter, and ive gotten the runaround.Im at a point where im realizing that im loosing money for every hour that im working.I feel that 3 months of hounding management has gotten me nowhere.To add to the stress, ive been moved to 3rd shift for the past 3 weeks.I was hired for 1st shift, and i realize that this shit happens and i shouldnt act high and mighty, since i do lack any real seniority with the company.The main problem with me being pushed to 3rd shift, is that i will not be able to progress with the company.Nobody on 3rd shift is able to train me to be more versitile, and essentially get more experience with the job.I was turned down, when i asked if i was able to come in early, or stay late into 1st shift to get the training i need.Basically, i think that ive hit a dead end, and the fact that im being turned down for the money im owed, has gotten ridiculous.It may seem like some whining to some, but money is money and i feel entitled to it. Ill try and call to explain my situation, and see what happens.

Korndogg
04-20-2011, 07:57 PM
You can look around here too..

http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/uiben/

05caddyext
04-20-2011, 08:07 PM
I thought there was a certain amount of time you had to be with your current employer before you even become eligible for unemployment benefits. If you haven't been there for long enough, the employer you had before this one is actually responsible for paying unemployment for you. As far as the 90 day review, is this company policy? Is it on anything you signed? Like an employee manual or handbook? In most cases the employer will end up having to pay you unemployment, even if you were fired for just cause. The law is definitely on the employees side 99% of the time.

fivonut
04-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Wisconsin is an "At will" employment state. Basically it means you can quit for any reason you want and they can fire you for any reason they want. Sounds like you've already thrown up a few red flags around there, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they decided to fight any claim. In which case all they have to do is provide documentation of any company policies you violated and UE will rule against you. You cannot under any circumstance receive UE for voluntary termination (quitting/ attendance). If you're worried about them firing you, the only thing you can do is make sure you get a reason, a copy of the exact policy you violated, and as much other documentation as you can in writing. I've even gone as far as to wear a hidden mic, it can't be used in court, but there's ways around that. Either way, prepare for a battle. If it were me, I'd just move on.

-stew-
04-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Have you talked to your unio------- Nah. I won't even. I'll just sit here and wait for the people raging how public employees are a parasitic drain on the taxbase come in and offer you advice on how or if you can scam unemployment. Oh my! They're here already...

rally_scort
04-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Have you talked to your unio------- Nah. I won't even. I'll just sit here and wait for the people raging how public employees are a parasitic drain on the taxbase come in and offer you advice on how or if you can scam unemployment. Oh my! They're here already...

Not asking how to scam, im asking how to cover my ass.My employer pays into unemployment insurance already, so the money is there.If you would read my post, i said i will be searching for employment, but id like the unemployment eligibility as a "crutch" if things dont go smoothly.I feel im being fucked by my employer, so would i be wrong to return the favor? Obviously, i havent used unemployment benifits before, or this post wouldnt exist.Your right though, i shouldnt be anticipating the benefits, but i gotta cover my ass if this place does indeed fire me.

xxsn0blindxx
04-20-2011, 09:09 PM
No, he's suggesting that if you had a union at this job you wouldn't have this problem with your 90 day review, which is probably correct. Of course you'd also be required to contribute part of each pay check to the union and since you're new you'd likely be forced into 3rd shift hours automatically because the guys with more seniority would gets first dibs at the 1st shift hours. Oh and you would be discouraged from trying to excel at your job because the senior guys, who are stroking it to keep the average low so they don't look bad, would discourage you from taking on any extra responsibilities to try and increase your value as an employee. Eventually you'd learn that increasing your value as an employee would be completely useless since the union dis-empowers you as an employee to improve you situation because the only way to improve your situation is for the union to negotiate for you. Meanwhile you will watch the more senior guys (who may not be as good as you) continue to make more money than you simply because they've been there longer.

05caddyext
04-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Doesn't take much to win a UE case in court. I had an employee that got fired for violation of a company policy. I had his signature on his employee manual, as well as 2 separate written notices to him stating that if he violated said policy again he may be fired for it. He violated it again, and was fired. He won his UE case with the judge saying that the company policy wasn't "clear enough" on what it meant. Trust me the court is almost always going to side with the employee. Had it happen so many times for stupid reasons. I had documentation that he signed, with a specific penalty, and he still got it. Not even worth fighting.

73MACH
04-20-2011, 09:40 PM
You absolutely will NOT get ue if you quit, no if's ,and's, or but's about it.

Also, as far as a raise goes, there are still alot of companies that are on pay freezes. Don't know if your's is one of them or not but it could be part of it...and what snoblind said about more senior employees stroking it to keep the average low is also absolutely true, not always, but it does happen pretty often.

SSLEVO
04-20-2011, 09:42 PM
I can talk to my wife, she works with UE every day for a staffing service. From what i've heard her say i'm not sure how they would take this. Like 05caddy said she does loose cases every once in a while where they have signed documentation and everything. Most of the time the person never shows up for the hearing and they keep accepting their appeals and set new court dates.

Do you have any of your contacts with management documented? Even a personal log may help, ie, contacted so and so on this date...

Thinking about it, your loop hole may be the 3rd shift thing, if you can prove you were hired on 1st and are unable to work 3rd you may have a better chance, i'll ask the wife though.

With all of this said, i took a nice pay cut and have not seen a raise since 08, A job is better than no job at this point.

Why not wait until you have something else lined up? Working 3rd shift allows you to interview all over during the day, not a bad deal really.

wikked
04-20-2011, 09:49 PM
I thought there was a certain amount of time you had to be with your current employer before you even become eligible for unemployment benefits.

6 months.
Also, in that 6 months you need to have made something like 4 or 5 times your base quarterly wages, or you don't qualify either... something like that.

HITMAN
04-21-2011, 01:14 AM
You absolutely will NOT get ue if you quit, no if's ,and's, or but's about it.

Wrong. Because I did it back in 2000. I worked for U-Haul for 3 years doing engine rebuilds for the GH line of trucks. They moved all of their rebuild programs to Kansas City, KS and our department was supposed to be flown down and offered jobs but the shop manager, it turns out, didn't want to lose the man-power and he fucked the deal up. I was offered a job fixing the heating and air conditioning for the trucks and turned it down. A) I already had my engine take down/assembly tools and I wasn't about to invest in a whole shit-load of new tools I for a job I didn't want to do. B) I was hired for the engine rebuild program, not as a mechanic. C) I had been working a 6:00am to 2:30pm shift and this worked very well for me, coming from Waterford. I would have had to work a 8:00am to 5:30pm shift and this would have put me right smack in the middle of rush hour traffic. Not interested. So, I took my leave, applied for UE, U-Haul tried to fight it, I explained my case, emphasizing why I was originally hired, and the tool cost situation, and won my case. You absolutely CAN quit a job and receive UE compensation, under the right circumstances.

rally_scort
04-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the insight guys. The shop i work at is a non-union shop, which is wierd because it has several sister companies which are all union shops.Im going to try and stick it out for a little while longer, aquire my 6 month mark and work from there.I plan to stop in tomorrow morning, and have one last shot at getting my raise.I talked with a guy at work last night, he said that if i wanted to rely on the unemployment benifits, that the best way to cover my ass is just to start slacking and lower my production.Sooner or later, they will notice the loss in production which will do one of two things.Either ill be questioned on my lower efficiency, or they will ask what they can do to raise my production.The co-worker said he dealt with the same bullshit at his last job, he let his performance fall off the map and they ended up firing him becuase he could not do the job adequately.He had no problem receiving the benifits.I thought long and hard about the situation, and i really DONT want to quit the job.I like everything about it, but im just feeling like im getting screwed out of money that ive earned.Im out-working the other shifts, and both guys have 6+ years of experience.Im going to state my case, and see what happens tomorrow morning.I guess either way, at least i gave this job a shot.

73MACH
04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Wrong. Because I did it back in 2000. I worked for U-Haul for 3 years doing engine rebuilds for the GH line of trucks. They moved all of their rebuild programs to Kansas City, KS and our department was supposed to be flown down and offered jobs but the shop manager, it turns out, didn't want to lose the man-power and he fucked the deal up. I was offered a job fixing the heating and air conditioning for the trucks and turned it down. A) I already had my engine take down/assembly tools and I wasn't about to invest in a whole shit-load of new tools I for a job I didn't want to do. B) I was hired for the engine rebuild program, not as a mechanic. C) I had been working a 6:00am to 2:30pm shift and this worked very well for me, coming from Waterford. I would have had to work a 8:00am to 5:30pm shift and this would have put me right smack in the middle of rush hour traffic. Not interested. So, I took my leave, applied for UE, U-Haul tried to fight it, I explained my case, emphasizing why I was originally hired, and the tool cost situation, and won my case. You absolutely CAN quit a job and receive UE compensation, under the right circumstances.

Ok, I stand corrected....but that is a more extreme situation and to quit and be able to receive benefits is a very rare thing and there is no way I would rely or make my decision based on the small possibility of it. But that's just me..

Want_Notch
04-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Why do people feel they are entitled to things?

Where does it say that after 6 months you are guarenteed a raise? Just because you were told that at an interview doesnt make it for sure.
Letting your production slip would be stupid. In my opinion work harder. Let them notice your work ethic rather than hounding them about something you feel you are "owed".

Just my .02

Waver
04-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Do you have in writing that you will get a review after 90 days and thus a raise? Do you have something that says you are suposed to only work first shift? If not, than suck it up. You shouldnt get a raise by sucking at your job. For that matter, you shouldnt have a job even if you do intentionally suck. If you dont like it so much and you feel that you should be getting paid more, instead of looking to get unemployment and taking it from those who actually deserve it, do the following:
Look for new job.
Keep up the job performance you are doing or work harder even.
Keep old job till you have new job offer.
Quit Job, start at new one.

Easy enough. If that was your plan, then you shouldnt have to worry and this thread has no real merit because you wont have to even file for it. Sounds to me like your employers feel that your job performance sucked on first shift, moved you to 3rd shift, and is ignoring you because they want you to quit so they dont have to pay for your unemployment insurance. A lot of companies do that, either terminate you before 90 days or make you hate the job that you are in so that you have to quit.....Just a thought.

tommyt5078
04-22-2011, 11:58 AM

After reading this, IMO you didn't quit. Which IMO is why you got EU.

-stew-
04-22-2011, 12:14 PM
No, he's suggesting that if you had a union at this job you wouldn't have this problem with your 90 day review, which is probably correct. Of course you'd also be required to contribute part of each pay check to the union and since you're new you'd likely be forced into 3rd shift hours automatically because the guys with more seniority would gets first dibs at the 1st shift hours. Oh and you would be discouraged from trying to excel at your job because the senior guys, who are stroking it to keep the average low so they don't look bad, would discourage you from taking on any extra responsibilities to try and increase your value as an employee. Eventually you'd learn that increasing your value as an employee would be completely useless since the union dis-empowers you as an employee to improve you situation because the only way to improve your situation is for the union to negotiate for you. Meanwhile you will watch the more senior guys (who may not be as good as you) continue to make more money than you simply because they've been there longer.

Sounds like you described the very situation he is in. Also derp...

Rally_scort's thread has me thinking again. (which is dangerous) We are working less hours due to no work coming in. I want to get in there and get whatever job I'm assigned finished and move to the next one. A department Supervisor told me I should slow my pace so her workers don't have to keep up with me. WTF! .

And I don't think he works in a union shop...

Waver
04-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Union or not, I think that is pathetic that someone has to lower their job performance to cover up another's mediocrity. What ever happened to the cream rises to the top and the junk sinks. These days it seems that shit floats and the treasure gets buried on the bottom.

xxsn0blindxx
04-22-2011, 01:22 PM
The difference between lordairguitar's situation and a union shop is that lordairguitar's shop is going through a period of reduced work and the guys want to eek out as many hours as they can get, but at a union shop it's just business as usual. Even at the busiest times the old guy's tell the young guys to slow down so that they don't lower the average job time. The old guys know they make more money than the young guys and can't keep up with them so they tell the new guys to slow down so they don't make the old guys look bad and don't set the bar higher where the old guys won't be able to keep up. Unions are great for promoting mediocrity and keeping older slower employees making more money than their younger counterparts who may be better and faster. Why would a union member want to work harder and increase your productivity? The employer can't give individual raises or bonuses to top performers because the union is in between "protecting" the slackers and making sure they get their "fair" share. The end result is that the union workers aren't incentivised to do work harder resulting in reduced productivity, making the employer less competitive against their foreign and non-union counterparts. As a result outsourcing becomes an appealing alternative because if you can't be competitive you go out of business.

-stew-
04-22-2011, 02:10 PM
The difference between lordairguitar's situation and a union shop is that lordairguitar's shop is going through a period of reduced work and the guys want to eek out as many hours as they can get,

Individuals doing this collectively seems ok to you. You claim this to be union "policy," and all of a sudden it's bad. Why? What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander?

but at a union shop it's just business as usual. Even at the busiest times the old guy's tell the young guys to slow down so that they don't lower the average job time. The old guys know they make more money than the young guys and can't keep up with them so they tell the new guys to slow down so they don't make the old guys look bad and don't set the bar higher where the old guys won't be able to keep up. Unions are great for promoting mediocrity and keeping older slower employees making more money than their younger counterparts who may be better and faster. Why would a union member want to work harder and increase your productivity? The employer can't give individual raises or bonuses to top performers because the union is in between "protecting" the slackers and making sure they get their "fair" share. The end result is that the union workers aren't incentivised to do work harder resulting in reduced productivity, making the employer less competitive against their foreign and non-union counterparts. As a result outsourcing becomes an appealing alternative because if you can't be competitive you go out of business.

Can you tell me about what experience you have working as a union employee that has given you these insights?

Korndogg
04-22-2011, 02:14 PM
People get paid over scale in my union.....or are we just solely talking shit about manufacturing and not the trades?

-stew-
04-22-2011, 03:10 PM
All unions are bad, mmkay?

xxsn0blindxx
04-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Individuals doing this collectively seems ok to you. You claim this to be union "policy," and all of a sudden it's bad. Why? What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander?

Nowhere did I say that is ok. However, my point is this behavior is not typical in a non-union employer, whereas it seems to be commonplace in union shops.

Can you tell me about what experience you have working as a union employee that has given you these insights?

I will freely admit I have not worked for any union, however this is the experience expressed to me by multiple friends who worked for unions.

xxsn0blindxx
04-22-2011, 03:31 PM
People get paid over scale in my union.....or are we just solely talking shit about manufacturing and not the trades?

My opinion is that this is more manufacturing/warehousing issue and not as much the trades. Trades tend to be a job where experience is important and there is often a link between seniority and capability. A worker's ability to move boxes around a warehouse or screw widget A onto thingamabob B over and over doesn't improve with years of experience. However I would venture to guess that you have come across guys in your union who aren't as good as you are and still have a job making more than you because the union is protecting them.

Korndogg
04-22-2011, 03:36 PM
They don't really get protected, the guys that are worthless pretty much sit on the bench even during the busy times because nobody wants them. (yes I am laid off right now but its slow as fuck lol)

-stew-
04-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Nowhere did I say that is ok. However, my point is this behavior is not typical in a non-union employer, whereas it seems to be commonplace in union shops.

I will freely admit I have not worked for any union, however this is the experience expressed to me by multiple friends who worked for unions.

How can you say it seems common place if you've never work for any union? If you don't have any experience with the topic maybe you should not chime in about it? The reason I don't discuss what it's like to be an x-ray technician is because I don't know anything about being a fucking x-ray technician. I got a lot of friends, some of their opinions i value more than others; but I don't take any of them as gospel. I believe what I see. You should always thing before you speak; and never forget to think after you listen.

Korndogg
04-22-2011, 04:06 PM
My fiance is an x-ray tech so I can talk about it... :p

PureSound15
04-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Awesome. Another thread ruined.

Leave the union garbage in the politics section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Power
04-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Look for new job.
Keep up the job performance you are doing or work harder even.
Keep old job till you have new job offer.
Quit Job, start at new one.

This. There are plenty of people without jobs that would take yours I'm sure. There are also lots of people who haven't gotten raises for the last few years or have had to take paycuts. Suck it up until you find something better, leave unemployment for those that deserve/need it.