PDA

View Full Version : Out of state title registrations, taxes & emissions... its cobra time!

Nickerz
04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
So I think I found the car I want in MI. The car is running an offroad setup and I'm interested in registering the car in Wisconsin and to avoid having to go for any kind of BS with emissions. What is the easiest and best way to achieve that?

Also, how do taxes work? Do I pay them in MI or WI?

I guess I don't even understand how to do this and don't want to mess it up.

Dr.Buick
04-19-2011, 06:37 PM
you pay taxes in wisconsin. make sure the ses light is off and it will pass. even if it makes the 600whp you want

73MACH
04-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Register it as being kept up north somewhere with your mailing address at your house. I have NEVER registered a vehicle down here and have NEVER had to take emissions....Hope this doesn't get me in trouble!!

Dr.Buick
04-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Register it as being kept up north somewhere with your mailing address at your house. I have NEVER registered a vehicle down here and have NEVER had to take emissions....Hope this doesn't get me in trouble!!

State is cracking down on this HEAVY this year. Just registered a car and had to have proof I owned the house were it is being kept.

KidCougar
04-19-2011, 07:41 PM
why do you have to register it out of state.? arnt there counties in Wisconsin that dont require emission.? If so.Register your car into that county at ur local DMV and just say that the majority of the time its parked there for family,work,travel or w/e.My pops did it for me 5 years ago or so when i had my prelude..

KidCougar
04-19-2011, 07:43 PM
try and pass emission 1st, i had a car pass with no rear o2 sensors,an H pipe, and the CEL on.Plus it had engine mods like bigger injectors and all and it didnt have a tune..

PureSound15
04-19-2011, 08:02 PM
^^^

Definitely take that advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waver
04-19-2011, 08:13 PM
I just switched the county that my car was kept at (from Waukesha to Jefferson) and I havent had anything come back to me. The title's address is my place in Cedarburg. I dont know if they didnt question it since I once lived there or not. Anyhow, all taxes are paid to the state that you are registering the vehicle in. As far as emissions testing, like Jim said, make sure the CEL is off. I have heard that if you have that if you have the cat monitors turned off (the 2nd o2 sensor for each bank) with a tuner they can tell it has been turned off. MIL eliminators work well since they have the monitors send a false signal to the computer all the time, and it wont show up as anything is wrong. Last but not least, pray that they dont do a visual test.

JC70SS
04-19-2011, 08:18 PM
They don't even test emissions. If it has an ses light on take it to marv, have him tune it out then take it to the test.

Waver
04-19-2011, 08:19 PM
They don't even test emissions. If it has an ses light on take it to marv, have him tune it out then take it to the test.

I believe that he turns off the sensors that are causing the SES light....They check for that.

05caddyext
04-19-2011, 09:06 PM
How are they cracking down on it? The form you fill out at the DMV doesn't ask for an address its kept at. It specifically asks for the county only. If the person at the DMV gives you a hard time, just go to a different line. They have never asked me a single question about registering in a different county, and I have registered 18 vehicles in Jefferson county.

73MACH
04-19-2011, 11:02 PM
how are they cracking down on it? The form you fill out at the dmv doesn't ask for an address its kept at. It specifically asks for the county only. If the person at the dmv gives you a hard time, just go to a different line. They have never asked me a single question about registering in a different county, and i have registered 18 vehicles in jefferson county.

^^^ this.....

^^^

definitely take that advice!

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

^^ lmao!

Nickerz
04-19-2011, 11:55 PM
I believe that he turns off the sensors that are causing the SES light....They check for that.

How the fuck can a car with no cats pass an inspection?

Cryptic
04-20-2011, 12:11 AM
if you have no codes (no SES light), then they won't check beyond that. They just plug into ODBII port and make sure your car's computer says everything is ok. The dont actually do a physical inspection like some states.

Z28Envy
04-20-2011, 12:15 AM
if you have no codes (no SES light), then they won't check beyond that. They just plug into ODBII port and make sure your car's computer says everything is ok. The dont actually do a physical inspection like some states.
YEP!!!! My car has no cats and I passed easily. My car smells the whole place up while they are checking it too and they don't say a word.

KidCougar
04-20-2011, 07:36 AM
with MIL eliminators or a tune it sends false signals to the computer so that it wont flip the CEL, theres alot of info on the net like GOOGLE if you take a quick search.Some of it gets really techinical but you will find all you need to know.And when my car passed i was in shock,i thought it woulda never passed but a few people told me to try anyways.I might be wrong but maby some counties inspect more than others, you could have just looked under my car and been able to tell it was ozone rappist.My cougar now has a 2.5in true dual with no cats or rear o2 sensors and some bolt on upgrades, i didnt have to take it to emissions this year becuase its a 1997.But next year im going to, who are some people or venders on this site that provide tunes,i plan on getting an Xcal2..

JC70SS
04-20-2011, 07:55 AM
My WS6 had no cats and I went right through. They don't even look under the car.

Want_Notch
04-20-2011, 07:55 AM
^^^^^^^
these posts make my brain hurt!

damn....beat me to it.

not yours JC

Waver
04-20-2011, 10:34 AM
How the fuck can a car with no cats pass an inspection?

My car has MIL eliminators on it. It tells the computer that everything is ok. They plug into the cat monitor and the factory harness. It is run off of a resistor. I have put on about 20,000 miles on it since I did the x pipe on my car (offroad bassani) and I havent had any problems.

The DMV checks to see if any of the sensors are turned off, and can tell that when it does the plug in test as one of the things to look for.

Moparjim
04-20-2011, 11:02 AM
State is cracking down on this HEAVY this year. Just registered a car and had to have proof I owned the house were it is being kept.

Hrmmm I did an S10 a few months ago and it was fine?

WickedSix
04-20-2011, 11:55 AM
idk about ford but with gm you set the sensor to monitor but ignore so they show as active but dont throw a code to make the cel illuminate. I have never once had the emissions place even so much as glance under the vehicle to see if all systems were present. Unless your local emission place has a greenhouse gas hating hippy car nazi.... ur gonna pass if the cel isnt on

GTSLOW
04-20-2011, 02:07 PM
try and pass emission 1st, i had a car pass with no rear o2 sensors,an H pipe, and the CEL on.Plus it had engine mods like bigger injectors and all and it didnt have a tune..

Horrible idea. This would mean he would have had it registered in a county that requires it. Then if it fails your shit is flagged in the system.

Moparjim
04-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Yes it is very hard to convince them to change it after you have registered it in say Milwaukee, failed emissions, then want to change it to a non emissions county lol.

Just "keep" it in a non emissions county per the line in the middle of the form.

GTSLOW
04-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Yes it is very hard to convince them to change it after you have registered it in say Milwaukee, failed emissions, then want to change it to a non emissions county lol.

Just "keep" it in a non emissions county per the line in the middle of the form.

With a failed test it's pretty much impossible unless you buy or rent a damn house somewhere else.

Nickerz
04-21-2011, 11:48 AM
With a failed test it's pretty much impossible unless you buy or rent a damn house somewhere else.

So we're talking about "vehicle is stored in" section right?

Moparjim
04-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Correct.

Nix
04-21-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm glad I live in Jefferson County so I don't have to worry about this type of bullshit anymore.

Nickerz
04-21-2011, 02:53 PM
If everything goes to plan by next weekend there will be 10.5" stripes appearing in random intervals in and around Waukesha county. If you hear what sounds like a cow being pushed off a cliff its probably me.

73MACH
04-21-2011, 04:17 PM
yup, thats all you have to do!

Nickerz
04-24-2011, 08:43 PM
OK so how do I handle this title business.

The title is MI title, and its currently has a lien.

So I go down with a sellers contract\bill of sale, fill that out, go to the credit union with them and hand them a cashier's check and they give me the title with a lien release right? Then I bring that up to Wisconsin and have it registered in Wisconsin at the DMV.

I should know this but its been a while, and I feel Leary any time I have to hand someone I barely know a ton of money. :durr

Feature Pony
04-24-2011, 08:54 PM
as long as you do it through the bank you should be fine. Just make sure you get a bill of sale and have the bank notarize it to make it offical if they are a title holding state.

Reverend Cooper
04-24-2011, 08:59 PM
turning off the cel usually means shutting off the monitors,it WILL NOT pass that way.register it outta a emission county

KidCougar
04-25-2011, 12:43 PM
lol, im registering my car to your house next year Nix, it didnt need emissions this year but will next year.lol then ille be re reading this post...

GTSLOW
04-25-2011, 01:12 PM
lol, im registering my car to your house next year Nix, it didnt need emissions this year but will next year.lol then ille be re reading this post...

If you do that id recommend changing the location before the time comes for re-smogging. They may be dumb but they're not stupid.