PDA

View Full Version : Test drove a 500 Sport

TheRX7Project
04-19-2011, 09:48 AM
So yesterday I was getting off the freeway by the condo I'm buying, and saw that Bergstrom Fiat is now open. I've been looking forward to the Fiat invasion for some time now. When the car was introduced in 2007 I figured it would be one of those "Unobtainable in the US" cars and I'd just have to think it was cool looking from across the ocean. I'm glad I was wrong.

I'm a big dude- a really big dude, both tall and wide- and my main concern was if I would even fit in the car. Well I do fit. Actually, I had the seat all the way back and had to move it up 2 notches to be comfortable. The one I drove did not have a sunroof but I sat in one with it, and there was plenty of headroom in either. It was a little bit tight width wise, about on par with my RX7. Not "relax" comfortable but not uncomfortable either.

So we got out on the road, and I'll admit I was very happy with the steering and handling, the sport suspension feels firm but not overley harsh- definitely daily drivable. The short wheelbase took some getting used to, especially since I've been driving a friend's Pacifica the past couple days (long story).

I didn't want to beat the crap out of it because the dealer came along so I didn't really get to give it a real workout. The two things I didn't like about the car was that it's 1.4L engine is pretty slow. I wasn't expecting much, and they did a good job with the gear ratios to make it work, but my Scion has about 60 more HP (and a whole extra liter) and the difference is more the evident. The other thing is the clutch. It's way too light and has NO feeling whatsoever. I even stalled the car taking off from a light because I can't "feel" the clutch.

The Sport model I tested was priced at 18,500. It comes with a 4-year 48k bumper to bumper, 3-year 36k roadside assistance, and also a 3-year 36k maintenence plan (which according to the dealer includes wear-out parts?)

Overall I like the car, I'm probably going to buy one in a couple years (after the wedding) but I'll look for a used one first for sure. I really am waiting for the convertable which is coming out next year. If they'd give us the turbo version as well, I'd be pretty much sold.

nismodave
04-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Congrats on the Condo! Milwaukee or Falls?

TheRX7Project
04-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Technically Milwaukee. But it's "right there".

Prince Valiant
04-19-2011, 10:25 AM
I would be interested in an abarth when they come...160 or 180hp in those tiny things would be a blast.

FoxStang
04-19-2011, 10:42 AM
I would be interested in an abarth when they come...160 or 180hp in those tiny things would be a blast.

This. Hopefully they give Mini a run for their money since the Mini's aren't so Mini anymore.

Looks like times might be changing for the good, 500 coming over here, global chassis Focus (maybe even an RS variant?), and a smaller more affordable Alfa sports car (besides the 8C).

TheRX7Project
04-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Yeah I'd love to see an Alfa. I'd be hard pressed not to buy an Alfa.

VroomPshhTsi
04-19-2011, 06:44 PM
On a related note, anyone know if/when the AWD turbo Focus hatch is arriving here?

FoxStang
04-19-2011, 07:03 PM
On a related note, anyone know if/when the AWD turbo Focus hatch is arriving here?

I think your referring to the RS, that was FWD. I don't believe there's any plans for an AWD variant, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna do a turbo hatch.

stealthy1ss
04-19-2011, 08:47 PM
I don't think that we are getting the RS but we are getting the ST Focus.

VroomPshhTsi
04-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Ahhh, yeah I was never 100% on the details on that car.

TheRX7Project
04-20-2011, 06:36 AM
The closest you'll get to an AWD Focus is the rumored Volvo C30 Turbo AWD. If they make it. It's the same chassis, and actually I kind of like the looks of the C30 over the new Focus.

pOrk
04-20-2011, 09:13 AM
18500 is grossly over priced for a car of that size imo, prolly barely gets 30 mpgs city too

Prince Valiant
04-20-2011, 01:28 PM
prolly barely gets 30 mpgs city too
rated 30/38 and 33 combined...

I agree that it's more than I'd pay for one, but I'm sure they'll sell pretty welll even at the price they're asking.

TheRX7Project
04-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Base model is $15,500. The one I test drove had "Sport mode" suspension which firmed it up, special wheels and a body kit.

FoxStang
04-20-2011, 02:47 PM
The closest you'll get to an AWD Focus is the rumored Volvo C30 Turbo AWD. If they make it. It's the same chassis, and actually I kind of like the looks of the C30 over the new Focus.

The AWD C30 was a one off by Polestar, Volvo doesn't make an AWD variant. Which is a shame, cuz the C30 is a sharp car. That and Ford is no longer connected to Volvo (now owned by a Chinese company), so parts sharing will probably stop in the near future.

TheRX7Project
04-20-2011, 03:37 PM
That blows. The C30 was on my "Top 5" list of cars to buy when the Scion is past it's time. Did they change the name to Vorvo?

WhatsADSM
04-20-2011, 05:07 PM
The 500 seems like a really cool car. That and the FT-86 (or whatever the final branding will be) are IMO the most interesting/fun/affordable cars coming out.

VroomPshhTsi
04-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Did they change the name to Vorvo?

:rolf