PDA

View Full Version : Can I cut window tint on the car?

1320PNY
04-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Just had my windshield tinted at the top (4") since I have a base Subaru that doesn't have the sun shade built in. I think it's a bit low and wanted to cut it with a razor blade now that it's installed.

Is that the proper way to trim? Should I just take it back and ask them to trim it?

Thanks.

LEWETHETIGER73
04-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Use a new blade and remember you can only cut once. Then peel away. You may need to use the blade to "filet" the tint off. Good luck

pOrk
04-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Yup you can cut it, don't free hand it though I would run tape across where you want to cut as a guide at the very minimum. Good luck

KidCougar
04-16-2011, 10:05 PM
If you insist on doing it your self, use a strait razor that you would use to shave with, just the blade part..Nothing gets as sharot as that trust me..And Pork is correct, id also use tape or some kind of guide,since you it will be in view at all times you will want it to be nice..But give the shop a call, they may just do it for free or a small fee of like 5 bucks...

lordairgtar
04-17-2011, 11:06 AM
If you insist on doing it your self, use a strait razor that you would use to shave with, just the blade part..Nothing gets as sharot as that trust me..And Pork is correct, id also use tape or some kind of guide,since you it will be in view at all times you will want it to be nice..But give the shop a call, they may just do it for free or a small fee of like 5 bucks...

Nobody really has straight razors anymore. Use an X-Acto knife with a number 11 blade that is new out of the package. Number 11 is the common one you see all the time. If you built models, you are familiar with it. And yes, use a guide.

03Seville
04-17-2011, 11:58 AM
As everyone else said, the guide is the most important. If you dont use it, you'll regret it.

Tape off the line you want and then take a ruler or something with an actual hardened edge and use that while you are cutting to guide yourself.