PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft ?

03Seville
04-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Has anyone on here ever been through anything identity theft related?

Going through hell right now since some lowlife piece of shit decided to use fiancees identity and drain our joint checking account last night.

Any tips or anything, just looking for information. I already canceled out the debit cards and the filled out the insurance stuff from the bank who said they should be able to reimburse us but it still pisses me off that nobody is able to find out who actually did this:fire and now I have to wait it out till the reimbursement actually happens.

Any specific things I should be looking into or doing that I dont know of? Just trying to cover all my bases here so that after I get stuff straightened out something else doesnt go wrong.

Yooformula
04-06-2011, 09:48 PM
1st request your credit report immediately even if you have to pay for it! then contact all 3 credit bureaus and report it asap, send them a statement and ask that it be posted in your file to be viewed if indeed your identity was jacked and not someone simply using a stolen card. my wallet got stolen 4 years ago and they wiped out everything I had in the accounts and credit cards and nobody bothered to verify an id even though I write in big letters to check id in lieu of signing. credit card companies fixed the issues ASAP but tcf dicked me around so much that I dumped them afterwards and went with Landmark. tcf actually made us feel like the criminals with all of the hoops they put you through; multiple visits to verify signatures, mult faxes of the same police reports, run around on the phones/in person, all this while waiting 45 days and watching checks bounce left and right with not a single answer coming forth.

VroomPshhTsi
04-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Some guy in Florida got a hold of my PIN and drained my checking account a long time ago. US Bank helped me get it back (I still ended up a few dollars short but I was still happy overall). I can't think of too much else besides cancelling everything, opening new accounts, and let your bank handle it. If it's a good bank, you should be taken care of.

03Seville
04-06-2011, 10:13 PM
1st request your credit report immediately even if you have to pay for it! then contact all 3 credit bureaus and report it asap, send them a statement and ask that it be posted in your file to be viewed if indeed your identity was jacked and not someone simply using a stolen card.
Probably should've clarified that no cards were stolen. We had both our cards in our possession.

And as for the credit reports I'm working on that right now, just seems like so much damn hassle and the people who commit these crimes get away without a problem every time. Its sickening to think about how much free money these people have received from other peoples accounts.

05caddyext
04-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Don't matter if you have your cards or not. You should assume they have everything. Have your accounts frozen and notify the 3 credit agencies immediately.

GTSLOW
04-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Just happened to me this weekend but with my debit card. Actually shortly after I purchased HIDs from that DDM place. It fucking pisses me off with chase. What the fuck is the point of a fraud dept that doesn't do shit. Money was spent on new york and las vegas. How the fuck could I have swiped my card in both spots and bought gas in WI the same day??? These were debt purchases not online.

Arg we'll see how this turns out. Either way I'm switching ALL my banking to USAA next week. Chase can go fuck themselves. I was told they could have used my information to make a fake card but with their name on it and that since 99.9% of places only check the card to id and not the actual name on the receipt that its quite easy to get away with

03Seville
04-07-2011, 07:29 AM
These were debit purchases not online.

Ours was too, they said it def wasnt a online purchase, 2 purchases in nevada. The first one was only like 20 something and then the 2nd was the rest of the acct.

I was told they could have used my information to make a fake card but with their name on it and that since 99.9% of places only check the card to id and not the actual name on the receipt that its quite easy to get away with

Never even thought about that, although I did already cancel the card anyway. Still interesting that shit like that even happens.

VroomPshhTsi
04-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Just happened to me this weekend but with my debit card. Actually shortly after I purchased HIDs from that DDM place. It fucking pisses me off with chase. What the fuck is the point of a fraud dept that doesn't do shit. Money was spent on new york and las vegas. How the fuck could I have swiped my card in both spots and bought gas in WI the same day??? These were debt purchases not online.

Arg we'll see how this turns out. Either way I'm switching ALL my banking to USAA next week. Chase can go fuck themselves. I was told they could have used my information to make a fake card but with their name on it and that since 99.9% of places only check the card to id and not the actual name on the receipt that its quite easy to get away with

I use to work with fraud/pending charges at my work and I HATE Chase Bank. They were one of the worst banks to deal with from a customer service standpoint. They gave me a different answer every time I asked a question. So glad I don't have them as my bank.

brotherbenn83
04-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Its sickening to think about how much free money these people have received from other peoples accounts.

A teacher stole your identity?:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

Sorry...I couldn't help myself.

03Seville
04-08-2011, 08:22 AM
A teacher stole your identity?:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

Sorry...I couldn't help myself.

:rolf

By the way thanks everyone, luckily my bank helped alot and we got our money back already.

Help was really appreciated:thumbsup