PDA

View Full Version : 8 year old boy gets pepper sprayed in school by Police. Discuss.

badass88gt
04-06-2011, 01:29 PM
http://www.parentdish.com/2011/04/06/boy-pepper-spray/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl3|sec1_lnk2|54494

So here's the story, kid flips out, destroying school property, rips wood trim off walls, threatens 2 teachers with death threats, cops called kid gets maced.

Of course Mom is pointing fingers at the Police for being excessive and Police should have talked him down instead. This is the kid's 3rd run-in with the Police at school. She never mentions the fact that this little bastard was completely out of control. The video portrays him as a sweet little boy. Same school district as the Columbine shootings.

In my opinion the Police screwed up. They should have tased his punkass. Kids these days are getting out of control and have no fear. This kid knows what he did was wrong, listening to him he is clearly aware of it and doesnt seem to care too much. Doctors say there is no psychological disability, this kid knows right from wrong.

I just can't believe how the mom is passing the blame instead of recognizing the fact that she is obviously a pisspoor example of a parent and pointing fingers at the cops for spraying her sweet young boy. I have an 8 year old in the house and I would not be upset with the Police if this were our situation. If you act this way in life then you deserve to deal with these consequences. If he would have done this there would have been hell to pay....

BR3W CITY
04-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Getting pepper sprayed was good for him, it doesnt suck THAT bad. I mean, it sucks bad, but not THAT bad. I would say its a 1/2 step above getting tazed.

Back in the day they would not have pepper sprayed him, he would have been turned over to his father....who would have mercilessly beat his ass with a belt for being a stupid little shit.

Korndogg
04-06-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm friends with someone who is a teacher in the West Allis area and she teaches the kids that can't be in other classes because of their actions. She also teaches special ed but you would not believe what she has to deal with on a daily basis. The cops are always there for something. These are 1-4th graders I am talking about here. She gets chairs thrown at her and knives even get pulled. It's unbelievable.

Yooformula
04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
I knew of a 11 yr old that was so violent that 3 teachers had to restrain him when we went postal one day AFTER he broke a teachers nose and put my friends son in the hospital for kicking him in the nuts so hard he almost passed out. After the first offense, kids like this shouldnt be allowed to endanger other kids and should be removed. Sadly edgerton elementary let this kid stay for 3 years before parents complained enough to finally have him removed to a special school.

badass88gt
04-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Thats what gets me. In Yoo's story it was multiple instances. In this kids story it was his 3rd run-in with the cops. Why are these situations continuing on after a first offense? How many times does it need to happen before action is taken? Pisses me off....

Reverend Cooper
04-06-2011, 06:33 PM
meh oh well

fivonut
04-06-2011, 08:34 PM
I just can't believe how the mom is passing the blame instead of recognizing the fact that she is obviously a pisspoor example of a parent and pointing fingers at the cops for spraying her sweet young boy. I have an 8 year old in the house and I would not be upset with the Police if this were our situation. If you act this way in life then you deserve to deal with these consequences. If he would have done this there would have been hell to pay....

Where's dad!?!?!?!?

CATNHAT
04-06-2011, 09:33 PM
First of all this story is biased as all hell. And, we have no idea what really happened, but we get the facts from the TODAY show with Dick Lauer and Merdith Vagina, however, something did happen.

I do not think a police officer should mace an 8 year old kid--no matter what! WTF! MOST kids with issues will "come down" after a short period of time and with reasonable, calm cool, collected discussion.

No doubt the boy has some issues, but for a cop to mace an 8 year old--no fucking way!

And for reference, I have been working with an Aspergers child with rage issues and am fully aware of the actions that can ensue. I am speaking from first hand, personal experience.

I am not saying the officer was wrong either, just maybe acted with a little too much authority and not understanding the situation. Which, for the officer, is pretty damn hard. $100 says the cop that sprayed doesnt have kids--just a hunch.

badass88gt
04-06-2011, 09:50 PM
So how would you deal with a psychotic kid that is destroying property, finding weapons, hurling death threats and admittedly acknowledges what he did and knows it's wrong?

Before you answer, think about kids like Daniel Petrec, the 16 year old who shot his parents because they wouldn't let him play Halo 3. Also think about Kendall Anderson, the 16 year old who killed his mom after she took away his PlayStation. Pissed off, he paced around his home for about three hours, finally entering his mother’s room and bludgeoning her 20 times with a claw hammer. After that did not kill her, the boy dragged her body downstairs and tried to “cremate her” in the kitchen oven. This effort also failed, at which point he beat her in the head with a chair leg and dragged her body outside. He hid it under debris in an alley behind the house.

If those kids are too old for this discussion, think about Deborah McVay, the mom who asked her 10 year old son to bring in some firewood and instead he brought in his .22 and killed her with a shot to the back of the head.

Kids like this 8 year old CAN NOT be taken lightly. After a couple of times being in trouble with the law would you really try talking to him if he was trying to kill you?

srt4eh
04-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Mace is a perfectly good action against this kid. If he was a first time offender I'd say the cop used excessive force but for the 3rd time...hell no. He could have been slammed to the ground, beaten with the nightstick or whatever, tazed, or even shot. Mace is only a temporary pain and causes no real injuries. I'd say the kid got what he deserved and the mom should get some lessons in parenting. There's no way either of my kids will EVER behave like this.

CATNHAT
04-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Mace is a perfectly good action against this kid. If he was a first time offender I'd say the cop used excessive force but for the 3rd time...hell no. He could have been slammed to the ground, beaten with the nightstick or whatever, tazed, or even shot. Mace is only a temporary pain and causes no real injuries. I'd say the kid got what he deserved and the mom should get some lessons in parenting. There's no way either of my kids will EVER behave like this.
Your kids probably dont have any mental issues for you to deal with so you do not have any perspective. 1 out of 100 kids born today have autisitic disorders or are on the Autism Spectrum and the doctors do not have a clue why. The doctors dont know what causes it, or how to treat it. Therapy and medication, but no cure.
The kid was already in a special needs school and the teachers are trained to handle this type of behavior. Most kids on the autism spectrum like Aspergers Syndrome, are either severe introverts or exhibit rage. When the child goes into a rage mode, they do not remember it happening and after a short period of time will revert back to a somewhat normal child.
The police officers who responded were not trained in this area, but that police department does have officers that are trained to handle this type of situation. They did not need to mace him. I agree that mace is a short term way to subdue a a person who is out of control, but NOT an 8 year old.
The kid obviously needs help and most likely needs to be on some type of medication to control his behavior.
The other kids mentioned above probably were affected by some type of mental disease that was not being treated thus the horrifying results that ensued. Tragedies. Normal kids do not beat there parents with a hammer b/c they lost their x box, but someone with mental issues could.
And of course the easy answer is to blame the parent(s), but sometimes, controlling this behavior is beyond their abilities, that is why he was in a special needs school in the first place.
Macing him was wrong.

srt4eh
04-07-2011, 10:44 AM
They said he has not been diagnosed with anything officially...and is in a class with kids with "behavior" issues. When I hear behavior issues I hear bad parenting.

If the child was officially special needs - the teachers would have / should have treated it differently. Having been involved with the police 3 time by the age of 8 is unacceptable. Something is wrong and we need to stop placing the blame on the police. Someone threatens my life - someone better be subdued...yeah - poor 8 year old but he said he wanted to kill the teachers. Really?????

srt4eh
04-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Next time send in the friggin K-9's...the kids likes doggies :)

flyin_blue_egg
04-07-2011, 11:05 AM
There's no way they could've shot him. There's criteria that MUST be met in order to use deadly force. Spurting out death threats isn't one of them.
In order to use deadly force the subject must have: Intent (the death threats fit this), A weapon (sounds like he had this) and delivery system (this i don't think he had b/c is sounds like any weapons he had were similar to knives, which require the person to be within 10' of someone). Plus the office would have to prove that a reasonable person under the same circumstances would believe that a person was in danger of great bodily harm or death.

michelle
04-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I think mace was a reasonable thing to use in this case. It did it's job without causing permanent harm.

srt4eh
04-07-2011, 06:20 PM
There's no way they could've shot him. There's criteria that MUST be met in order to use deadly force. Spurting out death threats isn't one of them.
In order to use deadly force the subject must have: Intent (the death threats fit this), A weapon (sounds like he had this) and delivery system (this i don't think he had b/c is sounds like any weapons he had were similar to knives, which require the person to be within 10' of someone). Plus the office would have to prove that a reasonable person under the same circumstances would believe that a person was in danger of great bodily harm or death.

I didn't say they would have...I just said that it was a possible outcome. You can't tell me that police officers have never used deadly force when it wasn't called for....(I mean no disrespect to police...just stating a fact...same crap happens in the military)

lit666
04-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Officers should have given him a DDT or a Stone Cold Stunner

srt4eh
04-07-2011, 08:59 PM

personally I think a pedigree would be fitting :)

STANMAN
04-07-2011, 09:21 PM
The Rock bottom?

And I don't think mace is out of line. It got the kid to calm down without anyone getting hurt. Why should the cop have to worry about catching a stray elbow to the nose, eye, whatever? Give him some pepper spray and bang, he's right under control. Bet the kid thinks twice next time he's thinking about causing a rukus.

CATNHAT
04-08-2011, 07:56 AM

Or a Jimmy "SuperFly" Snuka off the top shelf! He was the best. That would stop that kid!
qe4jmxs5Hqc

badass88gt
04-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Ahhh, memories...