PDA

View Full Version : New CO Law- Are you aware of it?

Firefighter Z
04-06-2011, 08:46 AM
For those who live in Multifamily dwelling (Townhouses, Apartment Duplex's, etc.) and those who are Landlords.. Are you aware of the new Law that took effect February 1st 2011?

Wisconsin’s Carbon Monoxide (CO) Law Takes Effect on February 1
Effective February 1, 2011, property owners must install Carbon Monoxide alarms in every home on every level near sleeping areas.

Wisconsin’s new carbon monoxide (CO) law will help ensure safe homes with the presence of CO alarms. But FIRE and CARBON MONOXIDE PREVENTION starts with education about this new law.

What You Need to Know

All single family and two-unit homes – new and existing – must install a CO alarm on every floor level, near sleeping areas.
New construction must be hard-wired with a battery back-up.
Existing homes may install any type of CO alarms; battery, plug-in, or combination smoke/CO devices.
A carbon monoxide detector required under this section shall bear an Underwriters Laboratories, Inc., listing mark.
The law takes effect February 1, 2011.
Alarms should be installed in accordance with directions from manufacturer.

Exceptions

CO alarms are only required in new and existing homes that have any fuel burning appliance, which includes: stoves, ovens, grills, clothes dryers, furnaces, boilers, water heaters, fireplaces and heaters OR an attached garage.
Alarms do not need to be installed in the attic, garage or storage area of homes.

Maintenance

Test alarms monthly.
Replace alarms according to manufacturer instructions.
Check batteries and replace twice a year.
Alarms should never be disconnected or unplugged.
Batteries should never be removed for other uses.

The reason why I'm posting this is that my Landlord that owns the Townhouse I live in. DOES NOT want to take care of this.
I formally typed them a letter with a print out of the law and also highlighted certain area's. I also stated that after they recieved this letter from the day they get it that they have 5 days to install the CO Detectors. (It even states so in the Law) They have not complied and now I am involving the City.

I have a Friend that works for a local Fire Department who is a Fire Inspection also and came and gave me a fire inspection of my place and it pretty much failed.

An exhaust vent that goes from my Water heater to my chimmney. The cement that holds the and seals is broken away and missing. My water main that comes from the otherside there is a opening thats 20 inchs high and 20 inches long that should be completely sealed. (I can smell the neighbor cig. smoke)

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
04-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention who rents!!! Good find

Firefighter Z
04-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks...

Going to school to become a Firefighter, It's only right to bring it up... LOL

05caddyext
04-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Just to point out, it's not only for people who rent. It includes everyone.

BR3W CITY
04-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Good info. My cya landlord did this a couple years back. The plug ins aren't that expensive, and no work to install.

michelle
04-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the reminder. I need to pick up one more for one of our levels.

I also heard that hard-wired smoke detectors are only good for 10 years? Our house was built in 1990, so I should probably replace those too, eh?

PonyKiller87
04-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I will have to see if I can swap out my hardwired smoke detectors for a combo smoke/CO.

Firefighter Z
04-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Make sure you get the lithium battery one, those lasts for 10 years...

lordairgtar
04-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Everything is electric in my apartment. Does that mean I'm exempt?

PonyKiller87
04-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Everything is electric in my apartment. Does that mean I'm exempt?

Thats how I read it, as long as nothing burns fuel you shouldn't need them.

WickedSix
04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
or if the garage is attached..... otherwise if you have nothing that has the potential to make CO you don't need a CO detector