PDA

View Full Version : The DOT is out to screw you

lordairgtar
04-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Just got back from the car club meeting. I know most here are into newer muscle and won't even worry about this. Those that have older cars or are building hot rods are going to have problems. The goal being that they wish to remove every older car from the highway. If you are looking to put a Hobbyist plate on your car, you need to take like six pictures and submit them for approval to the DMV. If that car is a fenderless, bumperless rod like a T Bucket or a Deuce highboy, you will be refused. If you already own such a vehicle, apply for the normal yearly tags. The DOT and the DMV are going over Hobbyist and Collector plate apps with a fine tooth comb. If you have made a car from scratch, they will want it to conform to current year fed standards. Out of state titles are being deemed unacceptable as well. Buying that title to a 55 Chevy from Georgia, then building a car from Dynacorn parts won't fly. Home builts, modified, reconstructed titles are going away. Once they are done with that, they will go on to removing modded modern cars as well. Some of you might think I am extreme on this but it's happening. They want all cars on a level playing field in regards to safety. not that older cars driven very few miles ever caused an unsafe situation...they have no statistics on that, they are just making this stuff up as they go along. Hopefully with the new administration in place we can get a sympathetic ear from the legislators. As a regulatory body, the DOT and the DMV can pretty much do what they want unless there is specific bills put through controlling the whys and wherefores.

TransAm12sec
04-04-2011, 02:13 AM
This is where there is power in legislation and lobbying. That's why SEMA has influential power, that has made a considerable difference in the industry.

http://www.sema.org/

Subscribe to the SAN if you would like to keep updated on similar topics.
http://www.semasan.com

animal
04-04-2011, 07:13 AM
:popcorn

TheRX7Project
04-04-2011, 07:45 AM
This has been in the works for a while, even a few threads on here about it. I say fuck the law. If they're gonna get all dictatorish I'll register my shit elsewhere. I have friends in Oklahoma.

BR3W CITY
04-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Stupid. Mines already got the hobbyist plates on it, but as I said in the other thread, good luck getting them away from me.
I've spent my whole life working and saving to build cars, and now that I finally have my old project coming to completion, I'll be damned if the state is going to tell me I can't drive it. Between lack of jobs, high taxes and a generally shitty way of life, there really isn't much reason to stay around.

Feature Pony
04-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Stupid. Mines already got the hobbyist plates on it, but as I said in the other thread, good luck getting them away from me.
I've spent my whole life working and saving to build cars, and now that I finally have my old project coming to completion, I'll be damned if the state is going to tell me I can't drive it. Between lack of jobs, high taxes and a generally shitty way of life, there really isn't much reason to stay around.

x2 if the state wants to fuck with me they can kiss my ASS!!! This state is going down hill, if push comes to shove and they want my old shit off the streets I will be moving to a warmer climate!!!!! These fucking tree huggers wont be happy until we are all on peddle bikes and they will be the first ones to bitch about no heat and riding in cold weather!!!!! This has my blood boiling and I'm PISSED!!!!!

jbiscuit
04-04-2011, 05:10 PM
I agree. If this takes effect it might me time to look at moving to another state. WI doesn't care about anything but tax revenue. Whatever generates money is what they push through. They have actually been trying to quietly push this through anyways. It actually doesn't surprise me all that much now that we are leading the charge in this county for anti-classic car legislation even beating out California and those guys have it rough out there!

lordairgtar
04-04-2011, 06:20 PM
This really isn't about tax revenue. It's about the actual removal of these types of cars off the road. I don't fully understand the reasoning behind all this, but it might have something to do with the efforts ongoing to standardize titles in every state. Some 22 states have standard title forms and they don't allow for much wiggle room. The DMV and DOT also know about those people who for one reason or another drive an older car as their daily car and have gotten collector tags for it even though it's a rusty bucket. Also, state inspectors from The State Patrol were wandering around the World Of Wheels taking notes on cars with collector tags (look out you people who have modded cars and have these blue plates) and whether they exhibit any modifications to the frame or body or engine. (Collector tags are usually on stock collector cars and hobbyist tags are on modified, home built, kit, or reconstructed cars.) The state also monitors the columns on Wisconsin HotRod radio as well, so they are aware of our plans to fight. As far as making the statement that one would move to better places, I would say that perhaps we should take a more active role and persuade our elected officials and bureaucrats to leave our cars alone or help craft legislation that is more favorable to us. TransAm12sec makes a good point to join SEMA. If you are a member of a car club (I'm an officer in mine), Pay attention to any meetings or hearings that may come up and attend if possible. I know most of us work and we don't have the ability to go, but some could maybe use a vacation day to attend. I did this two years ago when Trans 123 came up. That piece of odious rule making has been stopped but they are revisiting the regulations in place and reinterpreting them to suit their desires. At our meeting last night, it was brought up that maybe we could demonstrated the actual financial impact this would have on business that build rods or tune engines or do custom body work...The DOT and the DMV DOES NOT CARE!

BR3W CITY
04-05-2011, 08:34 AM
fuck it, ride dirty and teach anyone who tries to stop you a lesson. I'm done with playing by the rules and *hoping* things might get better. I'm fine with the title of "extremist" if it means not being beaten down by bureaucracy

BR3W CITY
04-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Just think how mad you'd be if they were fucking with your livelyhood not just your hobby.

It ends up doing both. I guess I would be less pissed if they let me have registration for free all these years, and just now decided I should pay it like every other car on the road.

lordairgtar
04-05-2011, 05:29 PM
it ends up doing both. I guess i would be less pissed if they let me have registration for free all these years, and just now decided i should pay it like every other car on the road.
bazinga!

team beater
04-05-2011, 08:22 PM
ill drive it with no plates push come to shove:)

Memphis
04-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Can we not keep political shit in the political forum? This shit is getting annoying.

It's like the whole north vs south thing we had going on like 3 or 4 years ago that split the site in half with people spewing bullshit non stop.

Seriously? How is this political? You have an old car, this affects YOU!! And as the saying goes, if you dont like the topic...dont read it!

fivonut
04-06-2011, 10:11 PM
So I'm failing to see the problem here. The law clearly defines the difference between hobbyist and collector plates. Sounds to me like people have been getting away with screwing the system and now they are pissed that it's finally going to be enforced? I've seen collector plates on rusted out old 4 door Buick Centurys. Tell me that guy isn't taking advantage!! If enforcing the law is going to keep these douchbags from using a loop hole to avoid registration fees, then by all means!!!

-stew-
04-06-2011, 10:19 PM
So I'm failing to see the problem here. The law clearly defines the difference between hobbyist and collector plates. Sounds to me like people have been getting away with screwing the system and now they are pissed that it's finally going to be enforced? I've seen collector plates on rusted out old 4 door Buick Centurys. Tell me that guy isn't taking advantage!! If enforcing the law is going to keep these douchbags from using a loop hole to avoid registration fees, then by all means!!!

This!!

Memphis
04-06-2011, 10:21 PM

I agree, those cars should be off the road. What they are trying to do is deny a hobbyist plate for an old car just because they can...or want to...or are having a bad day. No rhyme or reason. And collector plates? If you have a non stock color, non factory wheels, incorrect interior...anything they deem 'modified' they can deny you plates. All because they think getting old cars off the road is a good thing to do.

brownc00
04-06-2011, 10:38 PM
They are still out to screw you, but just a few less people now:
http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/07/wisconsin-withdraws-proposal-to-restrict-registration-of-imported-collector-cars

JMG853
04-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Yes - Hot Rod Radio is all over this as well. This is going to be interesting

lordairgtar
04-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Oh, I agree with the thing about old rusty Buicks. The fact is is that people building a T-bucket or fenderless 32 highboy are going to be denied acceptance of the title's validation. DOT and DMV are well aware of people scamming the system, but how does building a car that fits all the parameters of the plate's requirements, but then being denied and prevented from using it on the road help that situation? BTW, once the inspector looks over your hot rod or whatever and denies the registration, your title will be marked "For off road use only", and then you won't EVER get it on the street. The car community in general isn't having problems with complying with the exact letter of the rule for applying for the tags. They are being denied title registration even if they followed all the rules, sending the required pics, getting inspected, applying for the correct tag per their car's type...et cetera. They will not allow T buckets any more and they are after the 32 highboys now. If you are building one, better get regular tags. At least there is no inspection for that and you just go by year of car.

shoooo32
04-07-2011, 09:13 PM
This thread reeks of paranoia. Want hobbyist plates? Send a check to the DMV with lots of zeros on it and the plates show up a few weeks later. The cobra required no photos, inspection or any other bs. A MSO from factory five, a copy of a few receipts and a check to cover the tax was all it took.

I'll file this thread next to the ones that told be Obama was going to take my guns away.

FoxStang
04-07-2011, 09:35 PM
This thread reeks of paranoia. Want hobbyist plates? Send a check to the DMV with lots of zeros on it and the plates show up a few weeks later. The cobra required no photos, inspection or any other bs. A MSO from factory five, a copy of a few receipts and a check to cover the tax was all it took.

I'll file this thread next to the ones that told be Obama was going to take my guns away.
Was this in the last year? I had no trouble getting my hobbyist plates in the fall of '09, but heard allot of people having issues in '10 with many more hurdles to jump through. This isn't paranoia, do some reading into relatively recent developments...

Feature Pony
04-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Not only that, the state is going after custom built motorcycles, the state wants no custom stuff anymore on WI roads. They want to be the first state to declare no custom vehicles on the road for safety issues before Cali does!

BR3W CITY
04-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Can we start banning hybrids? Quiet ass cars are more dangerous than loud ones. Those fuckers fly through parking lots and you can't even hear them.

Yooformula
04-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Mark has a point in regards to a certain post that was made. This thread is a valid thread that needs attention but please keep the union/non union bickering out of it. this thread was cleaned, please stay on TOPIC.

Korndogg
04-08-2011, 02:12 PM
K back to hating on our state.... :p

KidCougar
04-08-2011, 02:34 PM
wow, that sucks, but i dont see it holding up..

Yooformula
04-08-2011, 02:41 PM
wow, that sucks, but i dont see it holding up..

why is that? I am sure people in california thought the same thing about alot of their restrictions.

lordairgtar
04-08-2011, 06:39 PM

If you buy a kit car used, most manufacturers will not send you an MSO because they have no way of checking if you boogered their frame or are trying to resurrect a wrecked car. This is not Paranoia, it's happening. Please listen tomorrow to Wisconsin Hot Rod Radio. AM1340. 9AM Saturday. If you can't pull the station in, you can stream from the net by clicking a link to the radio station on the WHRR site. Paul Underwood will be interviewed relating his story dealing with the DOT and the DMV