PDA

View Full Version : Ford approaches Gov't for federal loans...

Prince Valiant
04-01-2011, 10:04 AM
It was bound to happen....

DEARBORN-Despite an earlier commitment to go without federal loans, utilizing only privately secured loans, Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F), has approached the Obama administration to replace existing private loans with more favorable Federal loans.

"Though our operating profitability remains strong" said Don LeClair, Ford's retiring CFO, "the interest payments on the privately sourced loans are far more costly than those of our domestic competitors." Steve Pintar, Ford's chief of product development put it more bluntly, "If we wish to remain competitive not just with domestic products, but our worldwide products, we'll need to continue to invest in future product development; to make this possible, we need to reduce cost elsewhere and the loan cost simply make the most sense."

The move is not without controversy. "If they take federal money" said Carroll Shelby, "they'll never build another car with my name on it again."

Ford has been receiving praise as of late due to successful products such as the Focus, Fiesta, Fusion, Taurus, and Mustang. Reception to one of their largest investments, the Explorer has been mixed, but initial sales have been strong. UAW president Bob King has indicated that he would be approaching Ford to renegotiate their contracts in light of their current profitability.

The Obama administration hasn't indicated whether they'll work with Ford to secure low interest loans yet. "We are considering Ford's request" said Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton.

Wall Street Journal article HERE (http://theappera.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/april-fools-day-9.jpg)

Exitspeed
04-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Wow that is crazy. The quote from Shelby is interesting.

WickedSix
04-01-2011, 11:42 AM
and theres the UAW with their hands out all over again....

animal
04-01-2011, 01:45 PM
The quote from Shelby is interesting.

Good riddance. SVT Cobra sounds better to me anyways :)

TheRX7Project
04-01-2011, 03:06 PM
From what I understand, Shelby is a dick anyway. He's pretty old too, isn't he? He'll die off soon enough, and whoever takes over will reintroduce the Shelby Mustang.

GTSLOW
04-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Wow that is crazy. The quote from Shelby is interesting.

Indeed, I almost missed that.

tommyt5078
04-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm not a Ford guy, but the BOSS302 sounds even better! Saw this in the new C/D mag, nice car for sure, but to much $$$$$

Gregor
04-01-2011, 06:41 PM
From what I understand, Shelby is a dick anyway. He's pretty old too, isn't he? He'll die off soon enough, and whoever takes over will reintroduce the Shelby Mustang.

Why is he a dick? Because he wont deal with a company that asks for hand outs? Read between the lines. Its more of a pride issue.

It was bound to happen. Every other American company got free money so why shouldnt Ford? The goverenment backed loans with cheap interest saved Chevy and Dodge. While Ford fought through it, had cut backs and made them a stronger company. It just sucks that they are willing to suck on the federal tit like everyone else.

Al
04-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Is this a bailout or just and attempt to get a lower-interest loan?

If Ford is not trying to recover from the red, then it doesn't seem so cynical.
Rather, they are just eliminating a middleman who borrowed from the gov in the first place (do I have this correct, Valiant?).

Prince Valiant
04-01-2011, 07:18 PM
You know...I do this every year guys:

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?26702-Chevy-Camaro-DELAYED!!!&highlight=Camaro+4

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?36883-Camaro-production-already-predicted-to-end&highlight=Camaro+4

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?37004-Ford-kills-quot-Boss-quot-v8-s...and-perhaps-all-gas-v8-s&highlight=turbo+camaro

^previous examples...^

Sometimes a little outlandish claims attempted to be made believable by using real names, or plausible explanations.

It'll happen every year....and is why people should always follow my sources/links :devil

but...APRIL FOOL'S

Plum Crazy
04-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Thats good!

nismodave
04-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Why all the hand wringing vs every car manufacture that is NOT Chrysler? I dont get it.

Prince Valiant
04-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Why all the hand wringing vs every car manufacture that is NOT Chrysler? I dont get it.?Que?

Are you asking why I'd use ford or Chevy in April Fools joke? If so, simply because most on here hold ford or gm dear...who reads threads about mopars?

Korndogg
04-01-2011, 09:27 PM
this is Brew City Politics........

no jokes here!!!!!!!!!!!

michelle
04-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Brew City Politics. Haha, I like it.

TheRX7Project
04-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Why is he a dick? Because he wont deal with a company that asks for hand outs? Read between the lines. Its more of a pride issue.

It was bound to happen. Every other American company got free money so why shouldnt Ford? The goverenment backed loans with cheap interest saved Chevy and Dodge. While Ford fought through it, had cut backs and made them a stronger company. It just sucks that they are willing to suck on the federal tit like everyone else.

WHile this is fake, I'm going to answer your question. He essentially tries every way possible to screw people who make Cobra replicas. It's not like he's making more Cobras, he's not losing BUSINESS to them.

Prince Valiant
04-02-2011, 06:39 PM
WHile this is fake, I'm going to answer your question. He essentially tries every way possible to screw people who make Cobra replicas. It's not like he's making more Cobras, he's not losing BUSINESS to them.BUT, private property rights dictate that he does get say over what does and does not get done...the cobra as produced by replica car manufactures, whether shelby produces it or not, is his intellectual property that he is entitled to control.

It's like neighbor who paints a house...he may use gaudy colors and it may look offensive to me, but it is his property to do as he sees fit...I can say what I think he should do, but he's not obligated to act because of any pleading, rational or not.

Same with Shelby...he can set the terms of who and who cannot produce cobra replicas however he likes, whether they make sense to us or not.

That's not to say I think he's a jerk or not either...but personally I think people try to get away with more than they should and he's not intimidated to stand up for his rights, even knowing in many cases he get's made out to be the bad guy.

BOSS LX
04-02-2011, 06:43 PM
This day in age, the only way to bring Ford down is on April 1st! BTW the Boss 302 stock with drag radials, just went 11.79 @ 117 with the "street" key!

Prince Valiant
04-02-2011, 07:07 PM
The one with the stock open exhaust? I mean, that's cool that it's got it and all, but it's been done. Again, don't get me wrong...it IS very cool.

but April 1st isn't the only way to bring ford down:

Ford Explorer comes in last of Six in Three Row SUV comparison (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1105_three_row_crossover_suv_comparison/index.html)

GTSLOW
04-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Ford still sucks :goof

BOSS LX
04-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Ford must have forgot to send the check to MT. On a plus side, it is cool that the big 3 are all doing way better then years past!

FoxStang
04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
BUT, private property rights dictate that he does get say over what does and does not get done...the cobra as produced by replica car manufactures, whether shelby produces it or not, is his intellectual property that he is entitled to control.

It's like neighbor who paints a house...he may use gaudy colors and it may look offensive to me, but it is his property to do as he sees fit...I can say what I think he should do, but he's not obligated to act because of any pleading, rational or not.

Same with Shelby...he can set the terms of who and who cannot produce cobra replicas however he likes, whether they make sense to us or not.

That's not to say I think he's a jerk or not either...but personally I think people try to get away with more than they should and he's not intimidated to stand up for his rights, even knowing in many cases he get's made out to be the bad guy.
While true, the problem lies in the fact that Shelby let people get away with it for many years before he decided to start suing. If you make a claim like that, trademark court isn't going to look lightly on you if you didn't bring up the fact each and every time someone tried to replicate it. Besides, Shelby didn't design the body on the Cobra, AC did, a fact too many people like to gloss over. The question of other people building them is kind of a gray area, even if old Shelby loves his litigious lifestyle.

Also, good April fool's, if not to fool people, to show them how misinformed they are. This would have been all over the news if it were true. Misinformation is so easy to spread these days.