PDA

View Full Version : Tire Recommendations

michelle
03-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Well I took my winter tires off today and put my normal tires back on, which reminded me that my Goodyear TripleTreds are more than ready to be replaced. Haven't had to purchase normal car tires in quite some time (had those Goodyears since 2004), so I have been out of the "game" in terms of good tires lately.

Any recommendations? I'm obviously going to browse Tirerack, but some local opinions are good too.

Tire size is 215/60-16 and all-season would be nice.

KidCougar
03-30-2011, 07:35 PM
DO NOT GET kuhumo, my spelling may be wrong but they are the worst tires ive ever owned.Hard rubber with crap thread pattern and they wear down honestly twice as fast as any tire ive every had..

Plum Crazy
03-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Everyone talks shit about Uniroyal Tigerpaws, but for the money, they seem to hold up (atleast on my cars) Never had any issues on my Grand Prix, I put them on my Moms Buick.

jbiscuit
03-30-2011, 08:53 PM
I really liked the Continental Tires I bought for my WRX...Talk to Jeff at Late Model Throttle.

1320PNY
03-30-2011, 08:57 PM
For the money, Mult-Mile tires are a great deal. I put a set on our 1995 Legacy and got 80K miles on them. Great after 4 years in both seasons. Price is "cheap" as 4 mounted / balance, etc. was $305 at the dealer.

I don't believe in "all season" as much now that I have run Winter / Summer specific tires. I have 4 two season Winters that hae about 7K miles on them. They're on my Legacy and I'm unloading the car.

Make sure you let me know if you want to run Winter / Summer as I can make you a sweet deal on these Winters. They won't fit anything I got anymore.

michelle
03-30-2011, 09:16 PM
For the money, Mult-Mile tires are a great deal. I put a set on our 1995 Legacy and got 80K miles on them. Great after 4 years in both seasons. Price is "cheap" as 4 mounted / balance, etc. was $305 at the dealer.

I don't believe in "all season" as much now that I have run Winter / Summer specific tires. I have 4 two season Winters that hae about 7K miles on them. They're on my Legacy and I'm unloading the car.

Make sure you let me know if you want to run Winter / Summer as I can make you a sweet deal on these Winters. They won't fit anything I got anymore.

I have really nice winter tires that have a good amount of tread left. Since we own a bunch of Taurus', the nice thing is we can swap wheels/tires on all our cars. I was mainly looking at all-seasons since Adam's tires on his car aren't the greatest in winter, so as a back-up for me if he chooses to throw the winter tires on his car next year.

I just started researching today, but I will keep all the above suggestions in mind. Hoping to make a decision by the end of the weekend since it looks like 2 out of my 4 Goodyears don't want to hold a lot of pressure for an extended amount of time.

Holeshot
03-30-2011, 09:33 PM
DO NOT GET kuhumo, my spelling may be wrong but they are the worst tires ive ever owned.Hard rur with crap thread pattern and they wear down honestly twice as fast as any tire ive every had..

Your contradicting yourself here. Hard tires wear slower then softer performance tires. So unless your doing some serious smoke shows thats the only way hard tires are gonna go as fast as a softer w or z rated tire.

I love my Kumho Estca SPT TIRES Grab well wet and dry for a w rated tire. Michelle you can drive my Goat and feel the handling for yourself. I am running these. http://www.drivekumho.com/uhp/uhp-tire-lineup/ecsta-spt
These tires compare to Bridgestone Potenza RE030, Bridgestone Potenza RE040,
Continental Sport Contact, Cooper Zeon 2XS, Dunlop SP Sport 8000 and even the Toyo Proxy's

michelle
03-31-2011, 06:21 AM
All I read was that I get to drive the Goat..... (:

KidCougar
03-31-2011, 06:56 AM
im aware how tires are sapose to wear based on there hardness..Thats why kuhumo sucks, they wear very fast..If you just driving and never heavy on the petal and have a nice slow car, YES kuhumo are good for you..Any kind of sports car,they do not like to handle power..the rubber is a horrible compound..

michelle
03-31-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm very thankful that I am not an English teacher right now.

Holeshot
03-31-2011, 02:18 PM
The whole premiss is the softer the compound the better the traction for cornering , track racing .... Hard tire= extended ware for John Q Public that drives for savings and tread life. Hence drag radials last about one season. If I were concerned about tread life or cost I would not own a performance car Id have a Prius with 100k tires.

DR.FORD
03-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Drag radials!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

KidCougar
03-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Cheater slicks!!!!!!!

PureSound15
03-31-2011, 11:23 PM
im aware how tires are sapose to wear based on there hardness..Thats why kuhumo sucks, they wear very fast..If you just driving and never heavy on the petal and have a nice slow car, YES kuhumo are good for you..Any kind of sports car,they do not like to handle power..the rubber is a horrible compound..

1) it's a Taurus

2) y can u no spell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lordairgtar
03-31-2011, 11:44 PM
I'm very thankful that I am not an English teacher right now.
Probably can't do simple addition without a calculator.

wrath
04-01-2011, 06:15 AM
I can tell you that there are a bunch of tires to avoid. Michelin are probably the worst tires I've ever owned. My Dad has had even worse luck with them. He drives a lot more miles than I do (burning up a set of tires every year). You'd think the people at Michelin would learn from BF Goodrich (owned by Michelin) or even Uniroyal (again, owned by Michelin).

The best tires I've ever had are made by BF Goodrich and Hankook. I usually look at Cooper if I'm feeling cheap as they are relatively cheap and are good tires except in the treadwear department. I avoid Goodyear because unless you pay a lot they make crap tires (why do they even make the LS2 anymore?). I've had a lot of Bridgestone and General tires and they're OK. Kumho is OK. Nitto is OK.

I'd probably spend a lot of time reading reviews.

MoCkiN U
04-01-2011, 07:00 AM
It really depends on what you buy. Any manufacturer has their cheap line. Kuhmo tires do have a very entry level tire out there in the exsta line and they wont last for shit if you dont take care of them especially with a 40K mileage warranty or if any at all but yeah we spent $65 on that tire when others in the line were $120 but we want it to last like the premium ones. Buy a better tire versus blaming the company for giving you options, its not their fault you bought their cheap line Get the good shit and take care of it. All the time in business I see people say "this tire didnt last or its crap" and when you look at brass tax they didnt rotate the tires for shit and 1 in 20K miles doesnt count as some recommend as much as 5K and as late as 8K to rotate and THEN they dont align or maintain the suspension.

That being said the best money spent on a tire in the premium line of michelin or goodyear wont last a long distance driver as they will a city driver. Starts and stops are hard on them sure but heat is the tires enemy and lots of highway can wear them down FASt if not taken care of.

Right now consumer report is your friend. Hankook are rating very high and anyone who says michelin tires are crap are just a monkey being controlled by someone else. NO OTHER TIRE MANUFACTURER stands behind their product the way michelin does. Even when the owner neglects the product and finds it to be abused they STILL give money in warranty replacements all the time. They have many offers like 30 ride and buy guarantee, road side assistance and many more options just for buying their tires. ITS included not extra.

That being all said michelle,

the triple treads are a beast of a tire. What did you think of them? were they noisy to you?

Seasonal tire is a industry term now. It doesnt give you what you look for as the buyer for example the goodyear eagle gt below is labeled and embelished as a "all season" tire but there isnt nearly the weather siping at all in the tire to handle inclimate weather like some of the other tires of the same manufacturer. There are plus and minus for this tire and some ride it in winter and love it and some hate it. You will find as you did here that 10 people will think very different things of the exact same tire. Noise, tread life, traction are all relative tests and reviews but there are two things to keep in mind when looking at the information provided. What kind of vehicle did they test this tire on and where was it done? Was this tire tested in nevada or ohio? Weather and its applications are VERY different and should reflect in the review and you will find this to NOT be the case often and a test done on a crossover vehicle and its size and weight isnt relevant to the application you are going to be using it on. If they use a vehicle with german suspension and you put it on a older car with typical conventional suspension would you hear more road noise or would it ride harder??? Next thing the reviews LOVE to do is compare UTQG codes and when this information is relevant it means nothing goodyear to michelin, BFG to bridgestone. Its only relevant GY to GY, Michelin to Michelin and so forth as each manufacture has its own UTQG standards of measurement and they dont share info with each other so dont get caught up in that unless comparing the same line of tire. This point exactly will take you to the information posted by holeshot, he listed premium kuhmo tires now compare UTQG on one of those to the kuhmo solus and you should see a grade difference although it wont be staggering it will likely be different.

NOW, see everyone. This is a entry level tire in their line for GY. If this tire doesnt last you or doesnt go 80K miles dont be surprised. Its super low priced as entry level in the line and most of the time its no warranty for tread in performance sizes or less than 50K so its not GY's fault not does it make them a bad company because they gave you options and didnt do your homework first before buying. Doesnt mean goodyear sucks or their tires are gargage the end result might just be "You get what you pay for".

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/gy_eagle_gt_ci2_l.jpg

SLOWC5
04-01-2011, 07:09 AM
I've done quite a few cars with the Kumho LX platinum, It has a lot of siping for rain and has a good tread life. Shows to do well on Tire rack also. $394 mounted and balanced + tax is your cost. I should be able to beat Tirerack's price with mounting everytime

Let me know if you want a quote on any other tires.

Jeff

MoCkiN U
04-01-2011, 07:12 AM
I've done quite a few cars with the Kumho LX platinum, It has a lot of siping for rain and has a good tread life. Shows to do well on Tire rack also. $394 mounted and balanced + tax is your cost. I should be able to beat Tirerack's price with mounting everytime

Let me know if you want a quote on any other tires.

Jeff

Local site vendor, THATS A WIN!!

michelle
04-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the advice again! I'm going to continue to read some reviews, but I will definitely keep LMT in mind. Always prefer to stay local.

Dr.Buick
04-02-2011, 09:07 PM
I can get what ever you need. I just bought handcook evo's for my car.

Rocket Power
04-02-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm very thankful that I am not an English teacher right now.:rolf:rolf:rolf