PDA

View Full Version : need dog training advice

lit666
03-29-2011, 06:14 PM
ok, well my lab Abby seems to have an issue of wanting to take off towards other dogs (animals) and people while we are out walking. She gets down right nasty about it, trying to slide out of her harness and using all 80lbs as dead weight. She dosn't listen when she is trying to do this and down right lundges at them. Once the other dog (person) is out of sight she is fine again and walking perfect. I'm afraid to let her off of her leash at a dog park because of this. She does not want to harm anyone, she just wants to play. How can I correct this be pulling her back and using a firm voice isnt' working. Any ideas?

michelle
03-29-2011, 06:40 PM
I wasn't very into using a shock collar, but I liked how this video utilized one. I was having a tough time when I first got Lola when it came to walking anywhere - down the street, around the yard, and shopping at places like Petco with so many distractions.

http://vimeo.com/8644089

It took a lot of practice and consistency, but she is 100x better now at almost 2 years old than she was at 5 months old. I also used the collar for off-leash play in the backyard. Each house in our area has some type of distraction, plus there is plenty of wildlife around here too. Lola knows when that collar comes out, it's playtime. I have it on the lowest setting, but the nice thing is that I can use the noise feature without any "shock".

Lola doesn't have the best focus when she gets into all-out play mode, but the noise is much better than me yelling across the yard. I can't remember the last time I had to use the "stim" on her. We play a lot of games in the backyard that results in me calling her over for treats/a "good girl" and then a release to go back and play.

Last winter, I took her to a lot of indoor playdates and I was shocked on how often she would "check in" with me while playing with so many other dogs - she definitely surprised me!

Prince Valiant
03-29-2011, 09:10 PM
If you want Chris, bring Abby over to my place and I can show you some things to work on...we've got dogs for her to come after...

lmk...

Korndogg
03-29-2011, 09:20 PM
I have a shock collar but I never use the shock function. It has a vibrate function and she is scared enough about that going off so it's all I need. Best thing I ever bought for her.

lit666
03-29-2011, 09:59 PM
where did you get that at Korn?

VroomPshhTsi
03-29-2011, 10:54 PM
"Political signatures are not allowed"

Since when? lol

Korndogg
03-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I got it online. The brand is Dogtra. I heard good things about the brand so I figured I would go with it and I'm glad I did. The collar and controller are both waterproof also.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-element-300m-1-dog-system.html

GTSLOW
03-30-2011, 08:55 AM
"Political signatures are not allowed"

Since when? lol

:rolf I just noticed that as well.

lit666
03-30-2011, 07:35 PM
:rolf I just noticed that as well.

Ask NismoDave, he put that there about a yr ago when I had a One Big Ass Mistake America banner there.

VroomPshhTsi
03-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Well that rule definitely is not in full effect right now.