PDA

View Full Version : CD player recommendation......

Car Guy
03-26-2011, 11:07 PM
15 years have passed since I purchased a new CD player and 10 years since purchasing installation accessories. I am looking to buy a CD player for a daily driver `02 Focus along with the wiring harness and mounting kit. Requirements are an input for a MP3 player, easy navigation, and built to last longer than one year. I am also looking for recommendations for what brand of installation kit/wiring harness to buy and where.....

Any input is much appreciated...!!! :thumbsup

05caddyext
03-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Can't go wrong with Pioneer. Always ran Pioneer Premier units, still do. Never had an issue. Have great controls, Ipod controls, easy to use, last forever. Tons of bang for your buck. Go on crutchfield.com. They have a "what fits" button somewhere which will tell you exactly what you need for your car. Walmart has a bunch of different wiring harness adapters for common cars, im sure they have yours. As far as a mounting kit, no one makes a nice one that I have ever found, so but a unit that fits right. If you have a double din stock radio, (the tall one) buy a double din to fit. Will cost more, but you won't get a better fit with a shitty plastic mounting kit.

03Seville
03-26-2011, 11:21 PM
X2 for pioneers but personally I think alpine has the better ipod capabilities.

But either way I put it between those two. No other company can really compete with the quality of those.

My most recent one was an alpine and now I'm all for them lol

Sent from my EVO 4G using tapatalk

badass88gt
03-27-2011, 12:28 AM
I really like the Pioneer Premier CD/MP3 with iPod capability in my car.

Waver
03-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Pioneer or alpine. I have had both, and it really comes down to personal preference. Pioneer is a little easier to use but the sound is a little better from the Alpine

As far as wiring kits/install kits, they are all about the same, however I believe you can get them for free from Crutchfield when you buy the head unit.

Ricky Bobby
03-27-2011, 10:28 AM
on this one ur gonna have to go out and do some checking because easy nav for one person could suck for the next. Get off ur couch and go out and look for what u want everyones preference is gonna be different

Car Guy
03-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Hard to believe Pioneer (Premier) and Alpine are still considered quality units when many brands formerly regarded as quality are now garbage. I had both these brands 'back in the day' and never had an issue with either. Focuses have the double DIN deck and I considered the dash kit only for the extra storage pocket, would be nice for a MP3 player. However, if the kit's fit/quality is less than stellar I might go with a double DIN replacement. Thanks again for the recommendations and if anybody has more to add please do.....

lordairgtar
03-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Here is my idea. Get a Redi-Rad. It uses the stock radio and provides you with the attachment port for an iPod, MP3 player, portable CD player. This way, you don't booger the dash and you will enjoy better security because some ass isn't going to take your high end deck. Heck, I even had people take my cheap Craig or Audiovox unit out of some of the old crap I drove. You can just take your portable music source with you.

Car Guy
03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
That is an interesting option but the stock deck is slowly dying.....

Plum Crazy
03-27-2011, 12:33 PM
I bought this one back in Nov. for my Winter beater, once the casette deck broke in it. I love it, its simple and sounds great.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-+45W+x+4+In-Dash+CD+Deck+with+Flip-Down+Detachable+Faceplate/9176198.p?id=1218045946194&skuId=9176198

lordairgtar
03-28-2011, 05:52 PM
That is an interesting option but the stock deck is slowly dying.....
If the AM radio part is still functioning well, then Redi rad will still work

Car Guy
03-28-2011, 06:46 PM
The volume control is defective.....

Waver
03-28-2011, 08:30 PM
In a nutshell, go with a double DIN if you want a factory look with your aftermarket head unit. If you doing mind a half inch protrusion go with the single DIN. I went with the Double DIN pioneer DVD in my car and it fits just like the factory unit. The mounting kit is thinner and is flush with the unit. Wish I would of spent the extra 300 bucks and bought the nav unit.

PureSound15
03-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Pioneer are easy to use - I'd suggest alpine for mp3 integration and power/ sound quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pnad
03-28-2011, 09:19 PM
I havn't used a deck with a decent iPod interface yet. Alpine, Pioneer and factory Hyundai all suck. Granted I did have low-end Pioneer and Alpine units. All 3 are slow to load and navigate retarded as fuck.

Maybe the nicer nav type dbl din units are better, but so far I prefer a simple AUX input and control the tunes from the mp3 player.

jbiscuit
03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
CD Player? What is that?

03Seville
03-28-2011, 09:36 PM
I havn't used a deck with a decent iPod interface yet. Alpine, Pioneer and factory Hyundai all suck. Granted I did have low-end Pioneer and Alpine units. All 3 are slow to load and navigate retarded as fuck.

Maybe the nicer nav type dbl din units are better, but so far I prefer a simple AUX input and control the tunes from the mp3 player.

Id give alpine another try, my last pioneer was ok with my ipod but my alpine was great, controlled everything perfectly never had an issue. In fact I gave it a friend about a month or two ago and now he says he will never buy anything except alpine because of the ipod integration lol and that one wasnt a double din/nav.

in fact this is the exact one http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cda-9886/. If I wouldnt of sold my explorer I would never had given it up

Karps TA
03-29-2011, 02:00 PM
The negative to Alpine is how ridiculously more expensive their add on's are. Like if you want to add HD Radio, or Sirius. Their kits are usually $40 more then others. I think Alpine has great sound quality, but not sure if playing through stock speakers it's going to add that much more for the price.

I'm a big fan of Kenwood products. The current deck in my TB is the best deck I've ever owned. Ipod functions are awesome and simple to use. And it even made the stock Bose system sound better. Still not great, but not bad for a Bose. I have a USB hub hooked up to it so I can also play MP3's off of a USB stick. Plus it has internal memory. It's not a CD deck though. Easier to just rip all your cd's and play through and ipod or memory stick.

The prices of decks today are crazy cheap for what you get in features and stuff compared to years ago. There's some amazing decks for under $300 that would have been $800+ for the same features years ago. Crutchfield has become very price competitive and includes alot of free stuff for the price.

FoxStang
03-29-2011, 03:16 PM
CD Player? What is that?
Beat me to it :).

Seriously if you don't already have an MP3 player look into it, they're cheap, and if you have smart phone you can do internet radio as well.

PureSound15
03-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Speaking of headunits without a CD player - this is what I put in the cobra this past year -

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=alpine+x303&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11379443121094139057&sa=X&ei=CEKSTcyFHoTC0QGX-enMBw&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAw#

No need for CDs, IMHO. I have a 4g thumb drive that stays in the car all the time, and I can swap that out for my Iphone with Pandora if I get sick of whatever is on there. Great radio. Josepy has the same unit.

KidCougar
03-30-2011, 08:06 AM
all a matter ofopions in this section.Ive had so many cd players over the years but the one i have now has had the best sound quality and great amp output and built in features, its a Alpine 9883 i believe, it has the ipod hook up and bluetooth, its nice to get ur texts on ur cd player when ur driving,saves some safty..

GHOSST
03-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Fuck it, 8 track that som bish