PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Shifter Question

pjturkey
03-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Ok here's the deal, I pulled the partially destroyed turbo 400 out of my cutty and had it gone through and re-assembled with a reverse manual valve body. It's a column shift car and I'm being forced against my will to convert to an evil floor shifter :fire

So far my searches haven't been very productive. I've been leaning towards a gate style (prostick or 1/4 stick) but my problem is, the freakin shifter is only 6" long. Now, that's cool if I was measuring my dick, but not when my car has a bench seat!

I found this one from TCI: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-248200/

but can't find a video of someone actually shifting it. It doesn't fit the look of my car one bit, but it is 11" long. As per summit, the mechanism is a detent. At the risk of sounding stupid, I'm going to ask how it works without over/under shifting and if anyone has had any experience with these. Help!

BR3W CITY
03-24-2011, 08:36 PM
my concern looking at that is that the "shifter stick length" looks like its actually refferring to the total height. Either the pic is deceiving of the actual stick looks to only be about 5-7inches. I don't think the shape of that shifter style would work well with a bench either. I have a Hurst t-handle shifter in my truck (not gated or locked out) and it has a 13" handle with a 30* kink in it to clear the bench when all the way down in 1.

Dr.Buick
03-24-2011, 10:53 PM
cheetah shifter is the only way to go

pashtrd
03-24-2011, 11:25 PM
I remember seeing at the first invite only show at Gus's 2 years ago a few cars that ran a bench seat and a floor shifter. They had the shifter mounted to a bracket that held the shifter over the seat. I thought it was a great idea, even tried to make one for my car, but it put the shifter up too high for me. I will look and see if i still have the bracket i made.