PDA

View Full Version : Does this valve cover look "candy yellow" to you?

WhatsADSM
03-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Am I crazy? IMO the color actually doesn't look too bad in person, but I wouldn't expect something this green when you order "candy yellow".

Note: I have put a piece of thin flat yellow paper on top of the valve cover for reference of color representation of the camera.

http://www.murlynna.com/pics/Lotus/Build/IMAG0554.jpg

lit666
03-23-2011, 04:13 PM
looks more like yellow apple color where you see green and yellow

WhatsADSM
03-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Candy Yellow per website:
http://www.trgcoating.com/images/samples/thumbs/candyyellow.jpg

You can see why it was ordered for my car (dark day when this picture was taken):
http://www.murlynna.com/pics/Lotus/resized/Buttress.jpg

WhatsADSM
03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
looks more like yellow apple color where you see green and yellow

Yea that's pretty much exactly what it is in person bits of yellow and bits of green... It actually isn't as bad in person as it looks in the picture. It almost flips a bit and you see a little bit of yellow mixed in with the green, but in general to me it looks more "green apple" and less "yellow".

TheRX7Project
03-23-2011, 04:25 PM
I think the main problem with your valve cover is that it says Honda on it ;)

WhatsADSM
03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
I think the main problem with your valve cover is that it says Honda on it ;)

The problem or the solution to the problem ;)

Don't be the least bit surprised if you hear me screaming "VTEC" everytime I get close to the car. May even throw on a ridiculous 5" coffee can on the back just to make sure I fit in.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
03-23-2011, 04:43 PM
The problem or the solution to the problem ;)

Don't be the least bit surprised if you hear me screaming "VTEC" everytime I get close to the car. May even throw on a ridiculous 5" coffee can on the back just to make sure I fit in.

I will rip the 5" can off and beat you with it.

On a serious note, the pic makes it look worse than it should be.

jbiscuit
03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
yea that isn't the correct color there Murray. I would send it back. Just a suggestion but trying to 'match' the color of your car may be impossible.....why not just go with black or a metallic grey etc?

WhatsADSM
03-23-2011, 05:30 PM
yea that isn't the correct color there Murray. I would send it back. Just a suggestion but trying to 'match' the color of your car may be impossible.....why not just go with black or a metallic grey etc?

Yea I was honestly just looking for "close enough"... If anything maybe a bit MORE yellow, just to have it "pop" a bit.

I'll look at it again when I get home and decide what exactly to do. As the guy who powder coated it basically says "yup that's candy yellow".

But I agree in hindsight I should have just gone with a wrinkle black or grey.

jbiscuit
03-23-2011, 05:38 PM
see what can be done with it....I'm sure there is a way to get it to be brighter yellow like you said. It would look great. Who did you have powdercoat it? Have you looked into HyTech Coatings in Waukesha? He has samples of every color he can do at his shop so then you would know exactly what you are getting. Might be an option too. (262) 549-4855

WhatsADSM
03-23-2011, 05:53 PM
see what can be done with it....I'm sure there is a way to get it to be brighter yellow like you said. It would look great. Who did you have powdercoat it? Have you looked into HyTech Coatings in Waukesha? He has samples of every color he can do at his shop so then you would know exactly what you are getting. Might be an option too. (262) 549-4855

A guy I had previous experience with (TRG Coatings) did it. He got back to me, and said he would redo it a different color which is nice at least.

Yea I think in the future I'll give HyTech a shot at it. Being local would certainly help.

Flicktitty
03-23-2011, 06:15 PM
it looks good, i don't think it will however match the color of the car.

WhatsADSM
03-23-2011, 06:24 PM
it looks good, i don't think it will however match the color of the car.

Yea it would like I am a big packer fan... that is partially color blind.

For the record I think I am just going to play it safe and I am going to have it redone in "gunmetal grey metallic". That color would look decent on any car:
http://www.trgcoating.com/images/samples/gunmetal_gray_metallic.jpg

stealthy1ss
03-23-2011, 06:32 PM
I like that color much better. It will also be easier to keep clean.

Haulin' Oates
03-24-2011, 07:19 AM
My experience has always been that a good looking contrast looks better than a poor match! When I did overhead video in minivans I was notorious for doing different color bezels, which looked really nice, when there was no way to match the headliner.

Feature Pony
03-24-2011, 09:22 AM
why not do a candy red? Red goes pretty good with yellow under the hood.