PDA

View Full Version : E-85 Time

BigSnailBuick
03-19-2011, 08:55 PM
I have been slowly buying up parts to get my 87' Regal to be the car I have always wanted it to be. After an insane amount of research and countless hours on the phone with the top Gn nuts in the country I have made the decision to go 100% E-85.

The facts are facts. Properly done gn's and any cars for that matter running E-85 are making race gas #'s at a quarter the cost. A few things make me laugh about it though. The fact I never thought I would be ordering 120# injectors :durr A few people have even suggested getting rid of my 160 thermostat and going back to a higher one for colder days seeing as they couldnt even get the car to warm up on 60 degree days. :D Alot of goofy little things have to be changed once you start foxing with the idea. Half of the fun I guess. I really planned on getting the car going by summer but I think i'm going to take my time with this car and really do it from head to toe properly.

I spoke to a few people who have been running E-85 for a few years and most said their fuel filters and such were perfect after years of running it. Only thing they mention was the actual fuel pump socks getting soggy after a while...No biggie

Any who I will be calling Racetronics on Monday and see what kinda nifty duel in tank fuel pump they can whip up for me. Did a setup for a buddy that not only works flawlessly but even has a primary pump option so you can rotate the pumps monthly or however you see fit to spread out the main beating. Cool little system. My single hotwired walbro isnt going to cut it for this much fuel :devil

Aside from rambling who has made the E-85 switch? I remember a few small threads but not much talk. Be interested in hearing some more switch stories from people on the boards. Pro's con's etc... A few of the people I talked to even got rid of their front mounts and went back to a smaller IC or just straight got rid of it. Ill keep my smexy FM but its cool to see all the things people are trying on the buick boards.

badass88gt
03-19-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm very seriously considering E85 for my car also, if I add boost it will help offset my 11:1 CR.

Cyberdx16
03-19-2011, 09:25 PM
I plan on ditching my meth kit for E85 as well.
Pros
-Faster spool
-Cleaner fuel
-Cooler engine temps
-Cheaper than 93 and race gas

Cons
-Have to use 10%-30% more fuel
-Availability

badass88gt
03-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Availibility is a concern for me as well, I only have 3 stations within about a 20 mile radius. Luckily one is pretty close to work, one is about 5 miles in the wrong direction....

SSLEVO
03-20-2011, 12:19 AM
I ran e-85 in my evo when i had it. Great stuff for boost, that's for sure. If you are making some serous power i would invest in some test equipment to see how much ethanol is actual in the fuel you buy. It can vary from 70-85% depending on what blend they are running. I called all over the place and most stations had no idea what i was talking about, lol. I think Zeitronix makes a gauge that wires up to the gm flex fuel sensor.

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml

WhatsADSM
03-20-2011, 12:21 AM
I've been on e85 for a few years now. And I know there are a few evo owners on BCM that run e85 as well and have been for a few years. Its been pretty popular in the import world for a while. Nice to see it start to make it to the domestic side of things.

We ran it in Jim's high horse GN, and converting his wife's car now. Honestly, nothing too crazy to report on.. I honestly think all of the stuff about getting a hotter thermostat (which BTW would do nothing if the car isn't heating up to temp as is), not running an IC are a little bit of exaggeration...

Yup availability is the biggest downfall. And my only real comment would be for the tune: Make your extra power with AIR (boost). Don't attempt to tune the fuel to the ragged edge since the mixtures can vary. Tune fueling assuming e95, tune ignition assuming e70.

WhatsADSM
03-20-2011, 12:27 AM
... If you are making some serous power i would invest in some test equipment to see how much ethanol is actual in the fuel you buy. It can vary from 70-85% depending on what blend they are running. I called all over the place and most stations had no idea what i was talking about, lol. I think Zeitronix makes a gauge that wires up to the gm flex fuel sensor.

Pretty much hit it on the head.

But I would like to point out EVOs comment "making some serious power".
Honestly even assuming its e70 you will still have TONS of knock resistance compared to 93, or even 100 unleaded. So for the vast majority of people it is easiest to just assume the "worst case" in terms of power production which would be e70. If you can make the power you need on that then just do what I said earlier and tune the ignition/boost for e70, and fueling for e95. And be done with it. No matter where you go you are good. The tune isn't squeezing out every bit of power, but who cares if you are making the power you want. Consider it a safety margin ;)

BigSnailBuick
03-20-2011, 12:45 AM
I've been on e85 for a few years now. And I know there are a few evo owners on BCM that run e85 as well and have been for a few years. Its been pretty popular in the import world for a while. Nice to see it start to make it to the domestic side of things.

We ran it in Jim's high horse GN, and converting his wife's car now. Honestly, nothing too crazy to report on.. I honestly think all of the stuff about getting a hotter thermostat (which BTW would do nothing if the car isn't heating up to temp as is), not running an IC are a little bit of exaggeration...

Yup availability is the biggest downfall. And my only real comment would be for the tune: Make your extra power with AIR (boost). Don't attempt to tune the fuel to the ragged edge since the mixtures can vary. Tune fueling assuming e95, tune ignition assuming e70.

Good to see others are enjoying having went that route! Ohh and yea the way I worded the thermostat I see what you are saying. : P They simply were pointing out that the car will essentially never overheat :D Wont have to make only 2 passes at GLD then relax and have a soda for 10 min :P

I like that little gadget SSLEVO posted...fancy :) But like you said just tune safe. Thats one thing alot also pointed out to me...the power they were making didnt vary much on the a/f ratio being PERFECT....a little rich..a little lean.....all over the map yet the power being very close and still safe on both ends. At least thats what I picked up on when they talked about tuning...

That is another thing I have yet to decide on..what to tune with.. Its either spring the 2 grand for a FAST and be done with it or see if I get one of those lucky gn's that runs perfect with a chip and modded ecm on e85.

BTW 1000th POst!!! Woot....must make special thread later :D

stealthy1ss
03-20-2011, 01:05 AM
I converted my Cobalt SS/SC last spring and it made a huge difference. The car now makes good power and runs cooler which makes me feel a little better about road racing in with the little Eaton blower on it. Lucky enough for me I only needed to get 80# injectors and tune to convert over to E85. Keep us posted with how things go.

drewbird91
03-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I ran e-85 in my evo when i had it. Great stuff for boost, that's for sure. If you are making some serous power i would invest in some test equipment to see how much ethanol is actual in the fuel you buy. It can vary from 70-85% depending on what blend they are running. I called all over the place and most stations had no idea what i was talking about, lol. I think Zeitronix makes a gauge that wires up to the gm flex fuel sensor.

Here is a cheaper alternative:
https://secure.buschurracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1624&osCsid=9db549345eaa740903d77806e5aaeab0

Dr.Buick
03-20-2011, 08:42 PM
cars still can over heat on E85. I have done it.

I am convering my wife's Grand National now. I bought the new Areomotive 340 pump, accufab regulator, and Murray gave me a set of 76 pound injectors. Spend the cash on a XFI you will not be sorry. I can save you a couple bucks on that. 1800 for whole set up maybe cheaper. Cal Hartline sent me a tune that he used I will be firing it out when the new turbo shows up. I am CORN for life on my horsepower cars. I have 5 places with in 7-10 miles of my house and 4 with in 3 miles of my work witch is 5 miles from my house. If you need any help I'm here..

BigSnailBuick
03-20-2011, 09:35 PM
cars still can over heat on E85. I have done it.

I am convering my wife's Grand National now. I bought the new Areomotive 340 pump, accufab regulator, and Murray gave me a set of 76 pound injectors. Spend the cash on a XFI you will not be sorry. I can save you a couple bucks on that. 1800 for whole set up maybe cheaper. Cal Hartline sent me a tune that he used I will be firing it out when the new turbo shows up. I am CORN for life on my horsepower cars. I have 5 places with in 7-10 miles of my house and 4 with in 3 miles of my work witch is 5 miles from my house. If you need any help I'm here..

Hey man I appreciate that! I'm really trying to squeeze the 2 grand out of myself for the xfi but thats such a huge chunk of my piggy bank lol However tuning being only a phone call away is so nice! Cal is who I plan on ordering from if I go that route. Next thing ill order with it is the AMS1000...drools. Not this year :P I actually havent decided on a boost controller for this year. Lost my old one in my mess of parts.

Im also in luck with corn stations. One is 2 blocks from my house!

Anywho are you running the xfi? If so are you also running a 2 step? I hear the xfi 2 step doesnt like to work with our cars.

Dr.Buick
03-20-2011, 09:44 PM
The wifes has a XFI. the ams 1000 is out of date the 2000 will be out soon if not out already. but i'm just using a rjc on the wifes GN no need to control boost as a program. 2 step works just fine just need to play with it. I know the XFI like the back of my hand.. the holley would be cool if they made a adapter harness to run it.

floaters
03-20-2011, 10:10 PM
check into proefi, i know he is into turbo buicks now and it runs great in my supra on E

and you can get the can gauge with the flex fuel sensor to find out exactly how much ethanol % in the tank.

DurtyKurty
03-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Your fuel trims can also be good indicators of ethanol percentage.