PDA

View Full Version : Gun law question?

subliminal1284
03-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I am looking to buy a gun in the near future and there is a good chance I will be buying from a private seller, are there any steps I need to take to legally transfer ownership and make sure the firearm has not been reported stolen? Thanks!

Rocket Power
03-19-2011, 05:47 PM
To transfer ownership, you hand the seller money. If you want to involve the ATF which is not nessessary, you could go to a FFL and have them transfer it from the seller to them and back to you, which is an uneccessary spending of money. WI doesn't register firearms.

As far as checking if stolen, you could take the serial number to you local pd and they may check for you.

GsxrBots
03-19-2011, 08:23 PM
To transfer ownership, you hand the seller money. If you want to involve the ATF which is not nessessary, you could go to a FFL and have them transfer it from the seller to them and back to you, which is an uneccessary spending of money. WI doesn't register firearms.

As far as checking if stolen, you could take the serial number to you local pd and they may check for you.

^This^
But keep in mind, if you take it to the police station and IF they will run the number for you, and it comes back stolen, you BETTER have some sort of paperwork from who you "bought" it from, or you could be in trouble. PLUS they will take the gun no matter what...

Lash
03-19-2011, 09:22 PM
receipt of sale

WI_Dave
03-20-2011, 08:47 AM
^^^ All of the above.

Reverend Cooper
03-20-2011, 12:14 PM
There is no law,Its what you do to protect yourself,or the seller does to protect himself if you use it for illegal purposes.