PDA

View Full Version : ****Craigslist Scam Beware!!!!****

subliminal1284
03-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Just wanted to come on here and let everyone know to be extra careful when selling on craigslist. I just sold a car on craigslist last night and a couple hours after selling the car I inspected the bills closer and realized they were counterfeit, they had taken real $5 bills and bleached them and reprinted them as $100s. The people who bought the car were 2 younger black males aprox early 20s and one older black male aprox 40-50. The phone number they called me from was 414-551-3033. If you get a call from that number call the cops immediately, but im assuming the number will be traced back to a throwaway prepaid phone. The police were contacted last night and from the sounds of it the detectives will be turning the case over to the secret service. Be careful out there guys and don't be ripped off by these mother fucking assholes. Ive sold many cars through craigslist over the years and never had a problem until now. Really makes you feel kinda sick to your stomach. :fire:fire:chair::chair:

WickedSix
03-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Im always nervous when someone pays in hundreds because i don't see them as regularly as 20 bills and below so its harder to know what to look for.... i've been lucky so far..... i've taken pictures of people who came from another state when i was worried.... you gotta CYA on any transaction these days.

Ricky Bobby
03-17-2011, 09:19 AM
i had the buyer go to the bank with me and and pay the bank cash so that way im covered and not taking that chance with scamming pieces of trash and money is in my acct right away then also

SSLEVO
03-17-2011, 12:14 PM
It's pretty easy these days to verify bills, hold them up to the light. I don't give a sht who i offend, i always check them. How much?

Firefighter Z
03-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Can't you call the DMV and have them look out for the VIN# on this car, like put a note into the computer?
Cause then if the Scammers try to register it, the DMV can call the Police/ Secret Service ASAP and then they can be arrested.

The DMV in South Milwaukee calls the Police for identity fraud and what not.

-stew-
03-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah, you think this would be easy to trace to catch the guys. But what if a third party, say a white guy, takes it to the DMV and registers it? Kinda like a fence. They just say they bought it from some black guy who never titled it. I always try and get a dl number when I sell shit.

subliminal1284
03-17-2011, 04:18 PM
The cops said the detectives will put a notice out to the DMV he also said that he thought the car would be going to a chop shop however Im not sure about that because Im not sure a 1995 Oldsmobile would be worth the time to chop and part out. I think that since since they didnt sign the title they are going to try to flip it real fast to an unsuspecting buyer or they bought it to use in a crime. The Kenosha cops said Kenosha very rarely sees counterfeits as good as the ones they gave me, and is usually only found in bigger cities.

Yooformula
03-17-2011, 04:27 PM
damm sorry to hear this happened to ya. hopefully they get caught and ytou can at least get your car back. how much did they rip you for?

subliminal1284
03-17-2011, 05:39 PM
They gave me $700 in counterfeit bills

That_Guy
03-18-2011, 12:03 AM
They gave me $700 in counterfeit bills

Just a piece of advice for everybody.. If you question the bills you are receiving go to a local bank and do the deal there. I would request new bills from the person who is buying from you. They have the most security features. Go pick up a currency marker. Although they are not the best way to catch fake bills they give you a great edge. Office max has them.
We have had a run in at our bank with people bringing in counterfeit currency. Luckily our tellers have been great with catching it. 20's have really been an issue. The current fake twenties have been really yellowy. Any currency forgery related issues are turned over to secret service if that makes you sleep any better.

Do you have any pictures of the fake bills?

Things to look for

For current 100 dollar notes Not to be confused with the newer bills that have not been released.

1. Watermark. A watermark of Franklin is located in the blank space to the right of the portrait and is visible from both sides when held up to a light.
2. Security Thread. The thread, which glows red under an ultraviolet light, is positioned to the left of the portrait on the note. The words "USA 100" on the thread can be seen from both sides of the note when held up to a bright light.
3. Fine Line Printing Patterns. The fine lines printed behind Franklin's portrait and the Independence Hall are difficult to replicate.
4. Microprinting. On the front of the note, "USA 100" is repeated within the number 100 in the lower left corner. "The United States of America" appears as a line in the left lapel of Franklin's coat.
5. Color-Shifting Ink. The number in the lower right corner on the front of the note looks green when viewed straight on, but black when viewed at an angle.
6. Low-Vision Feature. The high-contrast numeral does not appear on this series of $100 notes, but will be incorporated on the back lower right corner of future $100 notes.

current 50's

1996-2001

1. Watermark. A watermark of Grant is located in the blank space to the right of the portrait and is visible from both sides when held up to a light.
2. Security Thread. The thread, which glows yellow under an ultraviolet light, is positioned to the right of the portrait on the note. The words "USA 50" and a flag can be seen from both sides of the note when held up to a bright light.
3. Fine Line Printing Patterns. The fine lines printed behind Grant's portrait and the U.S. Capitol are difficult to replicate.
4. Microprinting. On the front of the note, the word "Fifty" is repeated in the alternating spaces in the vertical side borders of the note. "The United States of America" can be found in the left side of Grant's shirt collar below his beard.
5. Color-Shifting Ink.The number in the lower right corner on the front of the note looks green when viewed straight on, but black when viewed at an angle.
6. Low-Vision Feature. The large numeral "50" in the lower right corner on the back of the $50 note is easy to read.

current production 50's
Color-Shifting Ink

Tilt the bill to see if the numeral 50 in the lower right corner on the front of the bill changes colors from copper to green. The color shift is more dramatic in the redesigned currency making it even easier for people to check their money.

Watermark

Hold the bill to light and look for the watermark, or faint image, similar to the large portrait. The watermark is part of the paper itself and can be seen from both sides of the bill.

Security Thread

Hold the bill to light and look for the security thread that is embedded in the paper and runs vertically up one side of the bill. If you look closely, the words USA 50 and a small flag are visible along the thread from both sides of the bill. The security thread glows yellow when illuminated by ultraviolet light.
Additional Design and Security Features

The redesigned $50 bill remains the same size and uses the same, but enhanced portraits and historical images as the older-design bills, and most importantly, continues to be recognized around the world as quintessentially American.

Symbols of Freedom

Symbols of freedom have been added to the design on the front of the $50 bill to represent images of the American flag. The traditional stars and stripes of the United States flag are printed in blue and red behind the portrait of President Grant. A field of blue stars is located to the left of the portrait, while three red stripes are located to the right of the portrait. A small metallic silver-blue star is located on the lower right side of the portrait. The symbols of freedom differ for each denomination.

Color

The most noticeable difference in the redesigned $50 bill is the addition of subtle background colors of blue and red to both sides of the bill. The background colors add complexity to the bills and differ with each denomination to help distinguish them. Because color can be duplicated by potential counterfeiters, it should not be used to verify the authenticity of the bill.

Updated Portrait and Vignette

The oval borders and fine lines surrounding the portrait of President Grant on the front and the vignette of the United States Capitol Building on the back have been removed. The portrait has been moved up and shoulders have been extended into the border. Additional engraving details have been added to the vignette background.

Microprinting

Because they are so small, microprinted words are hard to replicate. The redesigned $50 bill features microprinting on the front of the bill in three areas: the words FIFTY, USA, and the numeral 50 can be found in two of the blue stars to the left of the portrait; the word FIFTY can be found repeated within both side borders of the bill; and the words THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA appear on President Ulysses S. Grant's collar, under his beard.

Low-Vision Feature

The numeral 50 in the lower right corner on the back of the bill is enlarged to help those with visual impairments distinguish the denomination.

Federal Reserve Indicators

A universal seal to the left of the portrait represents the entire Federal Reserve System. A letter and number beneath the left serial number identifies the issuing Federal Reserve Bank. There are 12 regional Federal Reserve Banks and 24 branches located in major cities throughout the United States.

Serial Numbers

The unique combination of eleven numbers and letters appears twice on the front of the bill. On the redesigned $50 bill, the left serial number has shifted slightly to the right, compared with previous designs. Because they are unique identifiers, serial numbers help law enforcement identify counterfeit notes, and they also help the Bureau of Engraving and Printing track quality standards for the notes they produce.

Current production twenties have similar things to look for.

GTSLOW
03-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Hasn't the 100 over 5 thing been all over the news since fall? Also didn't that bar worker on here that was supposed to fight irish catch one of these people at his bar a few months back?

subliminal1284
03-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Im just glad it wasnt worse, money can be replaced after it happened I was thinking about it and I realized it may of actually been for the best I had not caught on to their scheme while the deal was going down, if I had caught onto it and called them out on it could of very easily escalated into an ugly situation and there were 3 of them and 1 of me and who knows they could of all been armed for as far as I know. I did meet them in a public place so the police are checking the cameras to see if they were caught on camera. Shit like this really makes me wish concealed carry permits were available. Now these fuckers have the title with my address and know exactly where to find me, kinda makes me feel uneasy.

Russ Jerome
03-18-2011, 04:11 PM
You didnt copy or at least verify one of the people DL number?

Guns, cars or anything of value I have a list of DL numbers so I can shoot anybody who screws me, Im actualy looking forward to clubbing some scammer with a bat in front of their family who pulls something like that. I had some old dude have me drive him to the bank to get cash for a car I was selling, when leaving his bank he said he wanted to go to his brothers for the other half of money....kicked that F-er out on the middle of the 26th ave bridge on a -0* day in December...merry christmas I was not going to 3rd and Cherry at 6pm.

tommyt5078
03-18-2011, 07:18 PM
The phone number they called me from was 414-551-3033. If you get a call from that number call the cops immediately, but im assuming the number will be traced back to a throwaway prepaid phone.

Do you know they have an app. for that? You can change your number and then call someone, whatever number you put in will then show up!

If you do its still a good heads up to whoever reads this!

Xephona
03-18-2011, 11:51 PM
cricket prepaid....

Number: 4145513033
Owner Name: On File - Click Here (http://www.numberinvestigator.com/trace/4145513033/547)
Most Current Address: On File - Click Here (http://www.numberinvestigator.com/trace/4145513033/547)
Area: Milwaukee, WI (Wisconsin)
Exchange: 414-551 (Leap Wireless Intl, Inc. Dba Cricket Comm, Inc.) (http://www.numberinvestigator.com/414551)
Phone Company: LEAP WIRELESS INTL, INC. DBA CRICKET COMM, INC.