PDA

View Full Version : Another anti-old car Bill

pjturkey
03-15-2011, 12:59 PM
http://www.wisconsinhotrodradio.com/ (about 1/2 way down the page on the left side)

This is also being discussed on the HAMB. I got wind of this, but can't view it here at work. If anyone could give me a summary?

Feature Pony
03-15-2011, 02:30 PM
News Update: February 26, 2011
ANTI OLD VEHICLE LEGISLATION IS STILL IN THE WORKS

Submitted by Curt Rymkus

I have been in contact with the Legislative Laison from the Wisconsin Division of Motor Vehicles.

I received an email posted as “REGARDING REGISTRATION OF NONSTANDARD VEHICLES” from the Legislative Laison. The email states, “in absence of Trans 123, the Departments current process for reviewing title and registration applications for certain HOBBYIST VEHICLES has a number of shortcomings. It requires great deal of case by case involvement by DMV staff, and places a lot of discretion in the hands of department personnel. The rules are not sufficiently available or transparent to citizens. THE DEPARTMENT NEEDS TO REMEDY THIS SITUATION”.

Although Trans 123 has been withdrawn, the typically acceptable method for the Wisconsin Department of Transportation “TO REMEDY A SITUATION” is thru new legislation or create a new administrative rule.

The Legislative Laison’s email displays the attitude that WisDOT considers nonstandard vehicles and hobbyist vehicles as the same type of vehicle.

During my personal phone discussion with the Legislative Laison, it was stated that, although Trans 123 has been withdrawn, new legislation or new administrative rule is being considered by WisDOT, it just won’t be called Trans 123.

On the premise that WisDOT is planning to create new legislation for the titling and registration of non-standard vehicles, I expect the legislation to be in conflict with the interests of owners of older vehicles.

I will be meeting with the Legislative Laison in the near future.

SO WHAT IS A NON-STANDARD VEHICLE AND HOW DOES IT APPLY TO MY VEHICLE?

Within WisDOT and based on their past proposed legislation, generally, a non-standard vehicle is a vehicle manufactured before January 1, 1968. These vehicles are termed non-standard because they did not have to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards(FMVSS).

A non-standard vehicle also includes a vehicle that does not display a certification label from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA). Generally, most vehicles manufactured before 1967 do not display an NHTSA certification label.

I feel confident stating that, at least 75% of the people reading this article, own one or more vehicles that, meet the definition of nonstandard.

SO WHAT?

For the people that, have title and license plates for your nonstandard vehicle, your title and license plates can be revoked by WisDMV, at anytime.

This titleing and registration issue started in 2007, because WisDMV pulled the title and license plates from a Wisconsin residents 1976 vehicle. The vehicle had been titled and licensed for two years. In 2007, WisDMV declared his vehicle as nonstandard. The vehicle owner took the matter to court. The court ruled that the WisDOT was wrong. Regardless of the court’s ruling, WisDMV attempted to pull registration from the owners of other alleged nonstandard vehicles. Subsequent court proceedings and appeals ruled in favor of the owners of the alleged nonstandard vehicles.

WisDOT’s lost the legal fights because of WisDOT’s misinterpretation, misapplication and ignoring Wisconsin State Statutes and Administrative Rule regarding vehicle registration. To remedy the situation, WisDOT then created Trans123. That legislation, favorable to WisDOT, would have allowed WisDOT to refuse registration to nonstandard vehicles and avoid legal entanglements.

Currently, WisDMV is continuing to hold up new registration applications for vehicles that WisDOT terms nonstandard. WisDMV has begun to hold up and refuse to register some applications for “HOBBYIST” license plates and applications for “street modified” and “replica vehicle titles.

For the people that are applying for a “street modified” or “replica” title, you will be subject to WisDMV’s continued incorrect interpretation and incorrect application of current Wisconsin State Statute and Administrative Rule, regarding the titleing and registration process.

For the people applying for “HOBBYIST” plates, you will be subject to WisDMV’s continued incorrect interpretation and incorrect application of current Wisconsin State Statute and Administrative Rule, regarding the titleing and registration process.

Prior to WisDMV’s incorrect application of Wisconsin’s State Statutes and Administrative Rules, regarding vehicle registration, there were minimal to no processing problems.

WHAT TO DO

Contact your legislators and inform them that, WisDOT and WisDMV are threatening your hobby and threatening your right to drive your special vehicle on the roads of Wisconsin. Also,inform your legislator that, WisDOT and WisDMV are not properly applying or interpreting Wisconsin State Statutes and the Administrative Rules, regarding the processing of vehicle title and registration applications.

Ask your legislator to look into the situation and inform you of his findings.

Also, request that, your legislator relay the same information to the Secretary of Transportation, Mark Gottlieb.

Representative Jeff Stone sent us the attached official Wisconsin DOT letter of intent to drop the Trans 123. Jeff had contacted Wisconsin Hot Rod Radio last week, but we wanted to be responsible and wait for the actual document to verify the closure.

Click here to download the official letter.
Click here to read SEMASANS annoucement.

Captn Bob and Arlo want to thank everyone for working so hard to keep this issue alive and persistently educating our representatives about the negative impact of this law.

We encourage everyone to keep monitoring what your legislators are doing with other laws that would affect our great driving industry.

For instance…currently we know of several people that have been turned down or having difficulty in getting their Wisconsin Hobby and Collector plates. It appears the Wi-DOT is interpreting the language differently than its original intent when it was passed years ago.

So Wisconsin Hot Rod Radio will continue to monitor this and we respectfully ask you to stay on top of this too.

Jeff Stone is a great friend of the hot rodder. You can hear an interview with Jeff regarding his response to Trans 123 and other car issues.
Click here - October 16, 2010

GREAT JOB EVERYONE…LET’S KEEP IT GOING.

BR3W CITY
03-15-2011, 04:40 PM
This almost sounds worse. I didn't care as much about trans123 because it seemed that the target was largely military vehicles and replicas that came under fire, now it looks like anything pre 67 is able to be pulled?
Pull this truck out of my cold dead hands along with all of my guns, try for one and you'll get the wrong end of both.

lordairgtar
03-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Listen to this. It's the show from last Saturday.
http://www.wisconsinhotrodradio.com/whrr051207.mp4
In particular the interview with the motorcycle builder up in Sheboygan I think. Had major trouble getting his home built bike registered. As the inspector was there, he pretty much said to the builder..."Ya know those guys with the T Buckets? Ther're done!" Meaning I guess that no one will be able to get one registered anymore.

lordairgtar
03-15-2011, 05:48 PM
This almost sounds worse. I didn't care as much about trans123 because it seemed that the target was largely military vehicles and replicas that came under fire, now it looks like anything pre 67 is able to be pulled?
Pull this truck out of my cold dead hands along with all of my guns, try for one and you'll get the wrong end of both.
That's just it, no one was overly concerned about a couple of Pinzgaur owners in western Wisconsin. Then they went after vintage pre 67 foreign car fans who were looking to import old sports cars into Wisconsin. The language was so ambiguous to not be real clear on what they were after. But some of us knew that it was an opportunity for the Gummint to get their hands on other styles of cars. People...Be Aware!! Trans 123 is done with, now they are trying to re-interpret the rules to get your car off the road.

jbiscuit
03-15-2011, 08:07 PM
I think this is far from over. Wisconsin dot just has it in for classic vehicles I guess. It requires owners and supporters of classic cars to continue fighting this. There are enough people in Wisconsin that want answers and will be heard when it comes to these stupid bills they keep trying to pass through. But I agree they are usually very vague which is the root of the problem! If something like this bill passes, I could see the dot revoking all registration for any vehicle that fits the basic criteria.

pjturkey
03-15-2011, 11:17 PM
I swear, the DOT shits where it eats. We pay them MONEY to register our junk and they are going to argue? That's the damned dumbest shit I've ever heard of.

So if they take away the Hobbyist plates I have on my T-bucket, does that mean I get a check for the $300 I paid to register it? What the hell do these pud-pounders have to gain by taking 0.0000005% of all cars driven in WI off the road?

This is seriously what these dipshits are spending time doing? I say we eliminate a few of their jobs and save some money.

BR3W CITY
03-16-2011, 07:49 AM
exactly which legislator are we supposed to contact? I know Gottlieb is the trans secretary, but who else?

lordairgtar
03-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Your state rep or senator would be a good beginning. You can go on a Wisconsin state site and click the "Find your Representative" button. Or here
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/asmhome.htm

TransAm12sec
03-17-2011, 12:29 AM
It's good to get SEMA involved with these sorts of things. The update on the website is below.

I'm not too familiar with what's going on; but is this essentially trans 123 reworded, with pre-67 vehicles added?

News Update: March 15, 2011
MARCH 14, 2011 MEETING
WITH WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Submitted by Curt Rymkus

The meeting was attended by the WisDOT Legislative Liaison, three representatives from WisDOT, a representative from Senator Glenn Grothman's office, a representative from State Representative Jerry Petrowski's office, two representatives from the military vehicle/import car interest group and myself.

At the outset of the meeting, WisDOT stated that, "we are not after your older vehicles".

The majority of the meeting involved discussion with WisDOT and the mv/ic guys. Titling
and registration problems were discussed at length. Although, specific military vehicle legislation, regarding titling and registration, was passed in 2010, refusals to register m/v's continues. Future meetings between the mv/ic group and WisDOT will be planned in an effort to correct the problems.

For the remainder of the meeting, I discussed with the WisDOT representatives, the WisDOT procedural changes in applying for "COLLECTOR" and "HOBBYIST" license plates. Also, I inquired as to the reasons for the Wisconsin State Patrol's increased involvement in the "street modified" and "replica" titling process. Time was short and a very brief discussion was held about 3 specific individuals and their titling problems.

Because time ran out, our questions, issues and concerns were not addressed, fully. The Legislative Liaison and I agreed to meet, in the near future to discuss our issues at length.

The Legislative Liaison did state, that "if, legislation is to be drafted that would affect your vehicles, we (WisDOT) will consult with the enthusiasts at the very start of the legislative drafting."

When, legislation is drafted, public hearings will be held, as required by Wisconsin Statute. General public statements and comments are heard at the public hearings.

You can ask your legislator to tell you when, WisDOT proposes legislation or ask them to assist you in accessing that part of the Wisconsin website that posts pending legislation. With a lot of people watching, we should be on top of things.

I will post as new developments occur.

Thanks to all those that contacted government officials before the March 14, 2011 meeting. Your voices were heard and your comments were effective.
For now, we must keep watch on WisDOT and stayed prepared.

Max 93
03-17-2011, 06:47 AM
so why do they want to get the older cars off the road ? I don't get it.

lordairgtar
03-17-2011, 05:00 PM
The biggest claim is safety issue. They have perceived that any car without the NHTSA cert is unsafe, though no documentation proves that theory. I think that there is an underlying motive, and it has to do with Green politics.