PDA

View Full Version : Gauging interest: 1996 VW Passat TDI.

GTSLOW
03-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Been tossing the idea up of getting rid of my winter driver.

1996 Volkswagen Passat TDI
- 1.9L turbo diesel
- 5 speed manual transmission
- 4 door
- Sun roof
- Green exterior
- Tan interior

Some good...
- Clutch works great with no issues
- Timing belt has 30k left on it
- New alternator
- New radiator
- New real leather shifter boot and ebrake boot
- Pioneer CD w/ aux input
- Excellent fuel mileage (I was pulling 42+ in the winter) can do 50+ with the right driver
- All the power windows work (backs a little slow) sunroof works
- Mid pipe was recently replaced/car/1st muffler removed
- 5th injector deleted
- I just cleaned the intake manifold (was insane)
- Injection pump top cover gasket replaced
- The few rust spots it had were repaired by previous owner w/ POR15
- 0-30 boost gauge will be installed by the time it sells

Some bad...
- Breaks up a little on top could use a new N75 boost soleniod
- Currently has snow tires on
- Has a few oil leaks
- Injection pump has some very slight moisture around it
- Interior is not bad (no tears) but you can tell its dated
- Finnicky front door handles

The car overall has been a bitchin winter daily. First tank of gas netted me over 800miles. These cars last and run forever the previous owner was a huge fanatic and the car has damn near every reciept/log of every repair ever. Not sure if it will will pass milwaukee emissions or not since it doesn't have a cat. But the car has no SES lights or anything. It runs great below 3000rpms (never really need to go above anyways. Either way the breaking up isn't that bad neways. Can do 80+ to milwaukee no problem.

If you've never seen one of these cars then you probably have no idea what they're like. The interior is spacious and the trunk is huge. Can comfortably seat 6' rear passengers without killing the two in front. Well ill post more as I remeber and try to get pics up tomorrow. Should be available sometime in april once the GTO comes out. If you've never owned a TDI before and or are not mechanically inclined then this probably isn't the car for you. Drove the car all winter and it started with no issues. Was always kept outside. Never had any issues with jelling, always used diesel additive.

Probably looking at $3,250. In no hurry to sell and will probably keep it as a NC to WI driver if it doesn't sell.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Pics required postwhore

03CVLX
03-14-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm not 100% positive but I think because it is diesel you get exempted from emissions even in Milwaukee. Double check that before you consider purchasing though.

GTSLOW
03-14-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm not 100% positive but I think because it is diesel you get exempted from emissions even in Milwaukee. Double check that before you consider purchasing though.

Yup definately something to keep in mind. Also for anyone interestead, this car needs nothing. I would not hesitate to drive it across country or continue driving it for years to come. Would love to have the extra $$ this summer before getting stationed in NC. Plus moving 3 cars :O