PDA

View Full Version : engine opinions

2006wrxtr
03-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Have a 357w in the car now. All ARP hardware, stock rods, forged flattops.
Was going to build a 408w but now I am thinking about just getting a great set of heads,
Decent size roller cam and proper valve train.

Or leave the engine alone and toss a 671 blower on it.

Car won't be a daily anymore so I can go as wild as the budget alows.

xxtremeteam
03-14-2011, 07:57 PM
coyote crate engine! from ford racing

2006wrxtr
03-14-2011, 08:05 PM
coyote crate engine! from ford racing

I just read the Kurgan article 5 minutes ago and the light bulbs started going off.
I would need a car in alot better shape than my current ride.

I was thinking, sell the current ride maybe get $4k for it. I have about $4k in the car
fund right now. If I wait about a year another $7k will be available. Buy a used 2011 5.0 ??

Waver
03-14-2011, 08:25 PM
I just read the Kurgan article 5 minutes ago and the light bulbs started going off.
I would need a car in alot better shape than my current ride.

I was thinking, sell the current ride maybe get $4k for it. I have about $4k in the car
fund right now. If I wait about a year another $7k will be available. Buy a used 2011 5.0 ??

Good luck finding a used 11 for 15g's

2006wrxtr
03-14-2011, 08:27 PM
In a few 2-3 years $11k would be a good chunk down, so payments wouldn't be crazy.
Also I saved $4k in the last year so in a couple I can double or triple that.

Waver
03-14-2011, 08:35 PM
I have a feeling baised on the market and how well the 09's are holding their value, they will be closer to 24-28 depending on options and mileage

xxtremeteam
03-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Nick this is about a new engine not him buying a car play salesmen with some one on the lot

2006wrxtr
03-14-2011, 09:01 PM
How about a blowthru turbo kit?
On3 makes one. and my engine only has a few thousand miles on it. ??

badass88gt
03-14-2011, 09:24 PM
On3 has a terrible reputation on the turbo forums. Having said that, I have been looking at their kits as a DIY deal since apparently thats how they end up. Can you tune a carb?

I would say stroke the one you got, get a killer combo figured out and let 'er rip.

2006wrxtr
03-14-2011, 09:44 PM
On3 has a terrible reputation on the turbo forums. Having said that, I have been looking at their kits as a DIY deal since apparently thats how they end up. Can you tune a carb?

I would say stroke the one you got, get a killer combo figured out and let 'er rip.

With their prices I would expect a little DIY. On corral the seem to have a decent reputation. I also think the longer they are around
the better they are getting.

badass88gt
03-14-2011, 09:49 PM
I have been looking at them, $1800 for an intercooled 76mm kit isnt too bad, will have to modify my carb but thats no big deal. Nothing fits for shit on my car anyway.

Just sayin, go on the turbo forums . com and do a search for On3. Not good at all....

2006wrxtr
03-14-2011, 10:04 PM
I have been looking at them, $1800 for an intercooled 76mm kit isnt too bad, will have to modify my carb but thats no big deal. Nothing fits for shit on my car anyway.

Just sayin, go on the turbo forums . com and do a search for On3. Not good at all....

I'll check em' out
Could always peice a kit together through pony down ??

badass88gt
03-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Pony Down is "supposed" to be much better, though more $$$. If I knew anything about this turbo stuff I might build my own kit.

Waver
03-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Nick this is about a new engine not him buying a car play salesmen with some one on the lot
Hey dingbat, he was talking about possibly picking up a 2011 gt, not the engine. He said that the car he has is not in good enough condition to put the 5.0 in. Learn to read buddy, wasnt playing car salesman.:goof:loser

Gregor
03-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Hey dingbat, he was talking about possibly picking up a 2011 gt, not the engine. He said that the car he has is not in good enough condition to put the 5.0 in. Learn to read buddy, wasnt playing car salesman.:goof:loser

LOL someone hit a nerve.

Turbo carbs require alot more than just throwing a headunit on and calling it a day.. You need a blow thru carb, a fuel system to handle it.

To go Turbo on a carb,

Fuel...... A1000 pump with return regulator -10/-12 from the tank to the pump, -8/-10 to reguator, -8 back to the tank for a return line. At this time your also looking at sumping the tank or going with a fuel cell.
This will be about $900-1000

Blow thru carb...... C&S thru COR this will hit you around $1500. After a long amount of study this is the only carb company that gives results. And most of the tuners wont run when they have to tune it.

And then have to deal with the kit. Which is around 4000+/- the headunit size and hat. Plus add in the cost intercooler and piping this even with a cheap chinese ebay cooler will be around 200.

$1000+$1500+$4000+200= $6700

This isnt including wideband or other should have parts.
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?41998-Are-turbo-s-the-answer&highlight=

This is going off Hellion turbo site, Jegs.

badass88gt
03-30-2011, 04:51 PM
CSU also makes a great blowthrough carb and Brent Davis has a killer system for his as well, nowhere near $1500. You can get Brent's complete Crutch system done to your carb for $850 and besides local tuning it is dead on, may need to change jets and air bleeds but thats no big deal. Hellion has good stuff but high prices, if you have the ability and equipment I would do either a DIY or an On3 kit, after more research they ain't so bad, Ive been reading all I can trying to learn for when I do my blowthrough. Here is a tutorial on carb conversion for blowthrough...

http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html

Here is the Davis Crutch system, with video:

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147736.0

FWIW, I will be going with either an MP76 On3 setup or a homemade system, both would have the Crutch mods on my carb when I finally pull the trigger.

Gregor
03-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Even with a $850 and cheaping out by flipping a set of shortys you are investing alot time. Now I know the old adage "I have more time than money" but there is also "a cheap man pays twice". And if it was cheap/easy way to go wouldn't every 5.0 owner have twins hanging off the motor?

But Ok lets ask some other questions?

How are your welding skills? Because if you DIY your going to at the very least have to weld T-3 flanges on a set of shortys. And lets not forget about the intake plumbing. Or are you going to go to Home depot and pick up some PVC tube? And well to find a turbo that matches your engine that isnt clapped out and is as loose as a 50 year old whore is so easy. Most yards will get 300 for a rebuildable T-3 core. I know that for a fact. And if you get one cheap you will be sending it off for a rebuild.

What are you going to fuel it with a stock 5.0 pump? LOL be sure to get a good plastic tub to pick up the engine parts that decide that your air/fuel mixture isnt good enough. As they leave your stock block. If your luck you will blow a headgasket.

Where are you getting your prices from? And yes i overpriced the carb. Because i have done the homework.

badass88gt
03-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Are you asking me specifically?

I was just giving some additional info, there are many ways to skin this cat. I am not sure if the fuel and engine questions are towards me, as for welding it would all be TIG'd, as for the bottom end I have absolutely zero concerns there. If the questions are to me I can answer each of them, if they are to 2006WRX guy, that is up to him.

Gregor
03-30-2011, 09:45 PM
I was playing the devils advocate. I know that you have put some time in your answer. And if you know how to weld yes you can do a shit load of the fab yourself. And having a fox body helps because of the massive space between front rail and the cylinder head.

So to do the DIY version of this to find a set of used unequal lenght header, flip them froward and weld a turbo flange. Take the drivers side and create a crossover to the passenger side. Tap the oil supply and tap a hole in the oil pan for drain back.
find a Holset off a Dodge Cummins (HX35) and mount it off the passenger header. Inlet of the turbo will plumb down into the area where the air filter used to be. Your discharge tube then goes thru or around the core support into a intercooler and then where the battery usd to live. This then goes into the hat on the carb. Get a double pumper and convert it to a blow thru. You still need to convert your fuel system. So cheap out on this and get a FI pump and rig something up.

If your car doesnt lean out and blow up your in business. I am pretty sure no tuner would touch it because "DIY" factor.

Didnt have to go far....
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?45612-On-3-Performance-Turbo&highlight=turbo

Someone on here was selling a 351 turbo setup on the cheap. Dont remember the name but it looked like a good kit.

FourEyedFord
03-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Blow thru carb...... C&S thru COR this will hit you around $1500. After a long amount of study this is the only carb company that gives results. And most of the tuners wont run when they have to tune it.

$1500 sounds steep for the carb from C&S. Mine was up there only because I opted for the dual needle and seat bowls, which you don't need unless you are trying to make north of 1000hp. I think a 4150 BT carb with standard bowls on it would be more around the $1100 mark.

C&S makes awesome carbs though, and you certainly get what you pay for!!

Gregor
04-01-2011, 04:12 PM
I know I over priced the carb. It happens.

But I love how everybody thinks that building a turbo setup is cheap. Just use this and then get this from a Salvage yard. I hear and read that shit all the times on websites.

And yes I have built a turbo setup. The turbo was the cheap part. It was the Exhaust, Fuel system, engine upgrades and intercooler set up that almost drove me into the poor house. I had about 2000 in the engine and about 3 more in the other expenses. And I was boosting to 20PSI on a 2.3. And thats chump change since my engine already had forged pistion and a good head.. And most of the setup was already done for me.

Dont get me wrong, I will go back to boost once I get the coin to do so. Its the sound and power that it makes worth it.

I have the pump, cell, filters and enough SS line to get me to the point of being ready to fuel this kind of power adder.
So far I am up to 1100. And I am no were close enough.

2006wrxtr
04-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Didn't think it would be cheap. I have most of the fuel stuff in the closet from my other car.
Will probably build a pump gas 408w and call it a day. Should be as fast as I ever want to go.

juicedimpss
04-01-2011, 05:17 PM
$1500 sounds steep for the carb from C&S. Mine was up there only because I opted for the dual needle and seat bowls, which you don't need unless you are trying to make north of 1000hp. I think a 4150 BT carb with standard bowls on it would be more around the $1100 mark.

C&S makes awesome carbs though, and you certainly get what you pay for!!

depends if you are pricing a "standard" 4150 or adding the ~$300 carb hat and ~$200 regulator
C&S is the ONLY company I would deal with on the blowthru stuff,Roger knows his stuff and has always been there when we have had questions.

Gregor
04-01-2011, 06:05 PM
A sweet 408 would be killer in a fox. That is the best bang for the buck. Seeing that you have the 351 already. And with that build it NA. Turbo is only a piston and cam change away.

Thanks Ron for backing me up on this. I knew I wasnt losing my mind. Maybe a 100 or so. Didnt we have this talk when I brought you my car for the subframe work? About what it would take to turbo a carbed Windsor.

juicedimpss
04-01-2011, 07:16 PM
A sweet 408 would be killer in a fox. That is the best bang for the buck. Seeing that you have the 351 already. And with that build it NA. Turbo is only a piston and cam change away.

Thanks Ron for backing me up on this. I knew I wasnt losing my mind. Maybe a 100 or so. Didnt we have this talk when I brought you my car for the subframe work? About what it would take to turbo a carbed Windsor.

for applications of roughly 900ish hp i can do a turbo,wastegate,and blowoff for about 1650
carb,pro series hat,and regulator roughly 1500ish
hotside really depends on how cheap you want to go,shorty headers are pretty inexpensive. so really its a few mandrel bands and a few flanges.maybe a few hundred in time and materials.
An a1000 pump is still OK for that power level.
this would be a pretty much easy 600-900 HP setup depending how greedy you want to get.

FourEyedFord
04-02-2011, 11:17 AM
I know I over priced the carb. It happens.

But I love how everybody thinks that building a turbo setup is cheap. Just use this and then get this from a Salvage yard. I hear and read that shit all the times on websites.

And yes I have built a turbo setup. The turbo was the cheap part. It was the Exhaust, Fuel system, engine upgrades and intercooler set up that almost drove me into the poor house. I had about 2000 in the engine and about 3 more in the other expenses. And I was boosting to 20PSI on a 2.3. And thats chump change since my engine already had forged pistion and a good head.. And most of the setup was already done for me.

Dont get me wrong, I will go back to boost once I get the coin to do so. Its the sound and power that it makes worth it.

I have the pump, cell, filters and enough SS line to get me to the point of being ready to fuel this kind of power adder.
So far I am up to 1100. And I am no were close enough.

Oh I didn't think building a turbo setup was cheap at all. I was just commenting that I thought the carb price sounded high. Ron posted he sells the carb, hat, and regulator for 1500ish, which is an awesome price! I thought you were trying to say just the carb would be $1500, and like I said it can be but not necessary for a build less than a 1000hp. I am with ya on everything else!

Oh and Ron, don't take my first post as a dig on your prices at all! I was just trying to clear things up.

juicedimpss
04-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Oh I didn't think building a turbo setup was cheap at all. I was just commenting that I thought the carb price sounded high. Ron posted he sells the carb, hat, and regulator for 1500ish, which is an awesome price! I thought you were trying to say just the carb would be $1500, and like I said it can be but not necessary for a build less than a 1000hp. I am with ya on everything else!

Oh and Ron, don't take my first post as a dig on your prices at all! I was just trying to clear things up.

no problem,sometimes details are not all included so it is not a "apples to apples" comparison.