PDA

View Full Version : Need help decideing new career

LEWETHETIGER73
03-14-2011, 06:52 PM
So I have come to the conclusion I won't be working at this company much longer if things progress the way they are going. Only thing is, is that I won't stay in this profession if I leave this company. Where does one go to find a new job? Are there any guidance councelors for adults?

fivonut
03-14-2011, 07:18 PM
It's pretty hard to change careers as an adult. If I knew then what I know now I would have never gotten my degree in Electronics. I thought it was going to be a lucrative career. I don't enjoy it (I'm good at what I do, I just don't get a sense of accomplishment) and the pay hasn't panned out. But with 12ish years experience it's hard to get someone to take a chance on a guy wanting to try something new AND make a decent wage doing it. My way out was to start my own company but it'll still be 5ish years before that grows to the point that I can afford to make it my full time job. Lessoned learned...too little, too late.

2006wrxtr
03-14-2011, 07:44 PM
At 37 I went from selling cars to Being a route drive for UniFirst. Best thing I ever did.
5 day work week, Vacation, Benefits, 401k, Profit sharing, Quarterly Bonus.
Made $40k my first year, last year close to $55k.
Not bad for delivering uniforms, and no Boss over my shoulder all
day long. Can honestly say most days I enjoy my job.

PureSound15
03-14-2011, 07:57 PM
. Can honestly say most days I enjoy my job.

Not a lot of people can say that.:headbang

CATNHAT
03-14-2011, 08:13 PM
First of all what do you like to do in your spare time? Is there anything you could do that would translate into a real job?

STANMAN
03-14-2011, 08:25 PM
If you can, find a company that promotes from within. Get in the door, figure out if you like the place 1st, that's key, and then find something you like to do within the company. I know lots of people who love what they do, but hate the company they do it for, henceforth they hate their job. But, if you like the company, even if you don't like what you do, and know that they promote from within, you can find something you like. That's my advice anyway. I work in manufacturing. Love it. 1st 10 years of my career I was doing something I loved for a company (that was union, which I hated more than company itself) that I wasn't crazy about. Left, and now 10 years later I am still doing something I love, but at a company I love even more. There isn't much I wouldn't do for my employer, they are simply an awesome company who empowers it's employee's and treats them as it's most valuable asset, which is the way it should be.

Good luck, you're getting some great advice here, and from what I know about some on this forum, there's more coming I am sure!

VroomPshhTsi
03-14-2011, 09:15 PM
^This.

LEWETHETIGER73
03-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the tips. I really love what I do with the crew I work with and my boss is hands down the best. Put his strings are being pulled by "corporate" and he can only fight back so much. I took the job with the impression I wouldn't be working weekends unless of emergency. Also they are trying to double our work load and keeping the same time frame, there fore creating sloppy workmanship. Its just getting more and more frustrating and the previous company I worked for had the same thing happen to it and I am afraid the same will happen here.

I really enjoy working on the road and helping people out while being indoors in lousy weather. Not many other thing I can think of thats similiar. But thanks for the advice everyone!

awsomeears
03-15-2011, 07:48 PM
What the hell do you do ?

lordairgtar
03-15-2011, 11:48 PM
What the hell do you do ?
Fluffer.:devil

LEWETHETIGER73
03-16-2011, 07:04 AM
auto glass

brotherbenn83
03-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Don't turn wrenches...it sucks.

-stew-
03-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Don't turn wrenches...it sucks.

Speak for yourself...

Exitspeed
03-17-2011, 05:23 PM
I went back to school at 25, got my degree, turned what I wanted my career to be into my biggest hobby and busted my ass.

wrath
03-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Find one with a good work/life balance, especially if you're a "work to live" as opposed to a "live to work". Talk to people. Forums are a great place because people tend to be more candid.

I work in IT. I went to school for electrical engineering. I've done every IT job except security. Which is probably what I'll do next if I ever bother to go get my CISSP. These days I'm a database administrator. Probably one of the last few semi-secure yet overpaid IT jobs left. Far more secure than an even better paid position like developer (a good developer with 5+ years of experience makes $10k+/month) or data architect/data modeler. But boring as hell (in my opinion) and very well paid. It takes a lot of skill, a certain kind of OCD/thinking to deal with relational data, and they have to be trustworthy... and they're very much needed.

But anyway, ask around.