PDA

View Full Version : Eye Contacts recommendations

wheelsofsteel
03-14-2011, 09:39 AM
I have always worn glasses. Lately I have been considering making an attempt at contacts.
Therefore I am looking for any suggestions on where to go to try this out. A place that is friendly and willing to teach a new user etc.

I appreciate any information that can be provided.

05caddyext
03-14-2011, 09:50 AM
I actually had really great service at a super Walmart that had a vision center. I have also gone to my local Dean Care clinic and had good service there also. They will do your exam and then have you put in several different trial pairs to see what feels good to your eye. Its really hard putting them in the first few times, now I could probably do it when im sleeping haha. Be prepared to get frustrated when you keep closing your eyes, dropping the tiny a$$ thing, and having to clean it 50 times before you put it in. Also, always remember you were only given one set of eyes. Taking care of contacts is more work than just throwing your glasses on, and you can have some serious consequences if you don't care for them properly.

BoosTT
03-14-2011, 03:19 PM
From my experience most eye doctors are the same. Just go somewhere cheap. I wear glasses mostly, but wear contacts when on my jet ski's, or motorcycle and whatnot. Driving a car is much easier with contacts as oposed to glasses. When you have glasses on, you need to move you head around a lot more. I've been wearing contacts for the last 10 years or so.

If you never had contacts, be prepared to have a hard time putting them in the first dozen or so times. One good tip is that touching your eye does not hurt, so don't flinch. Also keeping the contacts moist, clean and having clean, non-dry finger tips is important. One little hair or thread that transfer from your finger tip to your contact is going to hurt like hell in your eye. For most people contacts are comfortable for about 14 hours a day max, any longer and you can really begin to feel them in your eyes.

For brands, I would really start with acuvue II. They are comfortable and a good thickness to learn with. Many other brands are extra thin and you'll tear them when learning how to put them in. After a while, I would switch to acuvue osasis. They are very thin and feel more comfortable for longer. I never liked those contacts that you could leave in for days at a time.