PDA

View Full Version : Removing oxidation from Aluminum block.

flackjacket
03-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Hey all, Haven't been around in a few years since I sold my car and put the engine into storage.

I am getting ready to rebuild said engine but when I took a look at it (in storage) it looks like the Aluminum block and head are oxidizing. There is a chalky coating over all the aluminum parts.

How would one go about getting this cleaned? Media blasting sounds like the best, but a scary premise with all the nooks and crannys the beads can get lodged in...

Any ideas?

Not that it should matter the engine is a 4 Cylinder Nissan Sr20, nearly identical to Nismodave.

wrath
03-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Take a look at the 3M Roloc line. The bristle discs are what most people use for cleaning heads. I don't like media blasting soft stuff (like cast aluminum). Nothing from 3M is cheap but nothing else compares either.

spooln30
03-13-2011, 03:10 AM
I've had tons of aluminum parts blasted with no issues ever. I just take my parts up to U Spray and do it myself. Just tape up any machined surfaces and you'll be ok. Once you've blasted it they do make a sealer that lasts a long time. I'll have to look for it to give you the brand. I usually use a plastic media or walnuts. Using the 3M discs will work too but it's a PIA to get into the hard to reach areas and most times it doesn't turn out uniform.

flackjacket
03-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I am leaning on the side of media, but will keep researching options.