PDA

View Full Version : Cheap home inspector?

TheRX7Project
03-09-2011, 06:43 AM
I am looking for a cheap home inspector who will go through and give me an OK on the condo I am looking to buy. Any suggestions?

awsomeears
03-09-2011, 10:05 AM
You do realize Cheap and Inspector results in Big Fail right ?

Unless there's something I missed ?

Sounds retarded to me :)

TheRX7Project
03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
There's not a lot to inspect here, it's a condo...

awsomeears
03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
With that response you are totally setting yourself for FAILURE !!!!!

Condo's are the biggest POS in the world ( Depending what age and where it was built ) let me know where it is I may have serviced it.

All the condo's around south mil and Cudahy have already had to replace the WHOLE roof, The Furnace,Hot water heater, all new windows and MOLD issues !!!!!!!!!!

Yea there only 8-13 years old !!!

TheRX7Project
03-09-2011, 11:38 AM
It's in NW Milwaukee, on the edge of the Falls. It's valued at $61k, getting it for $32k because it needs a little work (carpet, paint, etc) and long story short the PO is dead and the family doesn't want it. The building already has new windows, siding, and a roof in the last 5 years.

So, in short, I can own this condo for less than I am paying in rent. I don't see this as setting myself up for failure. WORST case scenario I flip the place and make a couple grand. What I'm hoping to do is buy it, pay it off quickly, and later on use it for income (it is rentable per the COA rules). Anyway my question was not "is this a good idea", just if anyone knows a decent priced home inspector.

awsomeears
03-09-2011, 12:10 PM
The wording cheap and decent priced are lite years away when your talking about an inspector :)

Good Luck !

jbiscuit
03-09-2011, 12:50 PM
News flash, most brand new homes in SE WI are crap too. I can't believe people pay $300k for laminate floors, trim falling off, shit roofing materials, shit siding materials etc etc etc.

95mustang302
03-09-2011, 07:50 PM
for the price your paying for the condo, pay for a decent inspector, you will thank yourself.

awsomeears
03-09-2011, 09:40 PM
News flash, most brand new homes in SE WI are crap too. I can't believe people pay $300k for laminate floors, trim falling off, shit roofing materials, shit siding materials etc etc etc.

I can contest to that, everything is Builders Grade !!!

I was at a customers home the other day and the heat exchangers were cracked in the furnace, the furnace is painted different representing it to be " Builders Model " that in fact has ZERO warranty even its 1st or 2nd day of use...

That's why my era of a home to purchase is 1950-1965 when contractors built the home like they should be. Only thing that is usually an issue is the Clay around here and basement walls but still I'd rather sink in 20K

WI_Dave
03-10-2011, 07:09 AM

. I don't see this as setting myself up for failure. WORST case scenario I flip the place and make a couple grand.

Can't flip it if it wont pass an inspection by an inspector the banks will hire. Aren't they only a couple hundred bucks? how much you trying to get it inspected for?

Just my $.02 only you know what you need to do.

jbiscuit
03-10-2011, 08:07 AM
I can contest to that, everything is Builders Grade !!!

I was at a customers home the other day and the heat exchangers were cracked in the furnace, the furnace is painted different representing it to be " Builders Model " that in fact has ZERO warranty even its 1st or 2nd day of use...

That's why my era of a home to purchase is 1950-1965 when contractors built the home like they should be. Only thing that is usually an issue is the Clay around here and basement walls but still I'd rather sink in 20K

This. Older homes for the most part are built at much better quality when builders and carpenters were highly skilled workers that took pride in their work. Shoot the cabinets in my modest 1950-built shack in Stallis were built ON SITE by a cabinet maker. His pencil marks and measurements still in plain view on the insides. Every board cut to fit. All the trim was cut and stained on site as well.

Out of the new homes my wife and I have looked at so far I would say that only one builder in SE WI has built a quality home using good materials and components in the home. Lennox super high efficient furnace, 2x6 construction, Kohler fixtures, solid wood cabinets and flooring, 40 yr dimensional shingles etc etc. Not to offend anyone that owns a Kaerek-built home but MAN I can't believe someone would pay $280k for one of their houses!!! The cheapest laminate floors, the shittiest HOBO kitchen cabinets I have ever seen, crooked trim, shoddy tile work, cheap off brand furnaces, 14" insulation in the attic, small and akward room layouts, I could go on and on. My wife had heard good things about them as a builder and I couldn't give them half their asking price for a new construction home. I would guess in 5 years the entire house is in need of major upgrades and improvements

TheRX7Project
03-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Can't flip it if it wont pass an inspection by an inspector the banks will hire. Aren't they only a couple hundred bucks? how much you trying to get it inspected for?

Just my $.02 only you know what you need to do.

Yeah I found a reputable guy through a friend of mine. A little more than I really wanted to pay but I know he's reputable.