PDA

View Full Version : What is the safest way to buy online?

DurtyKurty
03-08-2011, 03:30 PM
I am interested in buying some used parts from craigslist from across country. So, unlike ebay where there is a little bit of protection, what can I do to protect myself when buying through craigslist? I'm not so much worried about getting junk as I am about someone simply not sending the parts. For example, I send them money and never hear from them again.

The only thing I can think of is doing everything COD.

Does paypal offer any type of protection with private transactions?

pOrk
03-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I hate paypal with a passion, BUT if you use paypal at least you can use a credit card and if you never receive what you pay for you can dispute the transaction with your CC company to get the money back. Don't count on paypal getting it back for you, I got burned on 800 a few years back and still haven't seen a dime back from it.

Otherwise use a postal money order, atleast then its mail fraud if you don't get your stuff.

badass88gt
03-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I use Paypal quite often. The way I have it set up is, I have a seperate checking account at my credit union with the debit card for that account. That card is the one I use for online shopping, and there is never any money in that account until I transfer it in from my everyday account. I make my purchase, go into my bank's website, transfer money into the internet account and then send the money through paypal. I havent had any trouble and the CU tells me they will take care of any issues I have with fraud. Most credit card companies also offer decent buyer protection, just make sure you have everything documented. Postal money order is good as well, however its a felony but only if they catch the guy.

FoxStang
03-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I hate paypal with a passion, BUT if you use paypal at least you can use a credit card and if you never receive what you pay for you can dispute the transaction with your CC company to get the money back. Don't count on paypal getting it back for you, I got burned on 800 a few years back and still haven't seen a dime back from it.

This, disputing with your CC is the way to go if you have issues, CC companies will go to great lengths to get their money back.

WI_Dave
03-09-2011, 08:29 AM
I use paypal and have them pay with a credit card instead of bank account. So far so good. Research the seller as much as possible too. I look up phone #'s, names anything I can find out. If you know where they live and work, it makes you more confident you can settle any issues.:chair: