PDA

View Full Version : Water Heater

STANMAN
03-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Anyone here install them? I see Craigslist says 40 gallon installed for $500, but would rather give the job to someone on the forum!

JC70SS
03-04-2011, 08:15 PM
i know a guy who installed ours for $100. pm me if you want his info.

xxsn0blindxx
03-04-2011, 08:40 PM
When ours went last year we had Home Depot's contractors do it. I think all total we got a GE 40 gallon, 40k BTU 9 or 12 year warranty, regular vent, installed for ~$750.

awsomeears
03-04-2011, 09:11 PM
I know a guy that knows a guy....

1320PNY
03-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I could be that guy :)

Got tools - check
Got a car - check
Know where you live - check
Got a couple hours free on Sunday - check

95mustang302
03-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Its really a no brainer install. Turn off the water, turn off the gas/electric, drain water heater, disconnect old water connections, reverse to finish.

The only way its an issue is if you are putting in a different type, IE power vented or tankless. You can totally handle this.

michelle
03-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Its really a no brainer install. Turn off the water, turn off the gas/electric, drain water heater, disconnect old water connections, reverse to finish.

The only way its an issue is if you are putting in a different type, IE power vented or tankless. You can totally handle this.

I'm sorry, but have you met Bob?

:goof

Are you going with the same type Bob?

wrath
03-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Are you replacing it with the same type? If so, it takes less than an hour to do.

Go take a picture of what you've got and post it. If it's electric, worst case scenario is that you have to buy a couple new unions and a stick of pipe.

94greenbandit
03-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Has anyone installed the tankless heaters and if so do you like it better

awsomeears
03-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Has anyone installed the tankless heaters and if so do you like it better

Customers ask me this all the time and my response is always based off how many people live in there home or if they have a huge whirl pool type tub that need 20-40 gallons or what have you. Personally I think they are not worth it, 1st repair bill you have when its Outside of warranty will be any easy $150-$600 as there built like friggin robots and have board, wires and 1 exhaust motor. Plus you have to make sure the current plumbing is NOT galvanized because that stuff closes up similar to a artery. The tankless are most of the time I believe a aluminum/stainless block that need excellent water flow or else the water CAN flash into steam and that can make some BOOM time :rolf

Have a big family ? Hell yea install one

Building a new home ? Yea just because you don't have to worry about a chimney and it can be installed on the 1st floor near the laundry room

3 people or less ? Na stick with the standard and get an efficient shower head

My personal opinion .....

Last two my work installed were $2800 and $3200

Dr.Buick
03-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Customers ask me this all the time and my response is always based off how many people live in there home or if they have a huge whirl pool type tub that need 20-40 gallons or what have you. Personally I think they are not worth it, 1st repair bill you have when its Outside of warranty will be any easy $150-$600 as there built like friggin robots and have board, wires and 1 exhaust motor. Plus you have to make sure the current plumbing is NOT galvanized because that stuff closes up similar to a artery. The tankless are most of the time I believe a aluminum/stainless block that need excellent water flow or else the water CAN flash into steam and that can make some BOOM time :rolf

Have a big family ? Hell yea install one

Building a new home ? Yea just because you don't have to worry about a chimney and it can be installed on the 1st floor near the laundry room

3 people or less ? Na stick with the standard and get an efficient shower head

My personal opinion .....

Last two my work installed were $2800 and $3200

tankless is what I use to heat the floor in my shop works great

wrath
03-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Have installed a couple tankless propane Bosch units I picked up cheap off Graveyardmall years ago. They work. Probably wouldn't use one if you have hard water.

I'll go tankless electric once my antique 85 gallon Rheem water heater dies, if it ever does. I've drained it and gotten very little sediment out of it. It's 8 months younger than I am and still hasn't rotted out. They definitely don't make 'em liked they used to.