PDA

View Full Version : Skyline owners

Korndogg
03-03-2011, 11:22 PM
http://jalopnik.com/#!5775509/feds-launch-new-crackdown-against-nissan-skyline-owners

The feds are coming for you.

nismodave
03-03-2011, 11:27 PM
This is VERY important to the saftey of our country.

Flicktitty
03-03-2011, 11:42 PM
of all the cutbacks, and other shit that actually matters, there gonna go after a couple hundred car people. fucking tax dollars at work.

nismodave
03-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Worst part is that they will all be crushed.

WhatsADSM
03-04-2011, 12:01 AM
I've told people this TONS of times.

If you don't own a skyline that was imported by JK/Motorex consider it a matter of "when" not "if".

Sounds like they are also going after the cars that were once legalized by Motorex as well. Although those people might actually have a fighting chance in court.

Moral of the story don't own a skyline, unless its a R35 (which is a technically a GT-R but I digress). I believe in 2014 you will be able to legally import an R32, but I heard they are trying to shut that down as well. Sad really.

floaters
03-04-2011, 12:02 AM
what a fucking joke, useless fucking government at their best! im glad i didnt pursue buying one a few years back.

lordairgtar
03-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Join SEMA, get legislative bulletins and write your representatives. In the grand scheme of things, they are just cars but they are our love. Fight to protect them.

deuceWI
03-04-2011, 09:40 AM
I can understand rejecting registration for some of these vehicles, but why can't you own one? What if it were your track day vehicle / show car / part of a collection?

TheRX7Project
03-04-2011, 09:50 AM
I think you can own one as a track/show vehicle.

Exitspeed
03-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Seriously a tremendous waste of man power by our gov.

Rocket Power
03-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Not surprised, when we had vehicle imported for testing where I used to work, they had to be exported or destroyed within a certain amount of time.

deuceWI
03-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I think you can own one as a track/show vehicle.

Then wouldn't the easy solution be for the feds to just deny registration? Problem solved. No need to go around trying to confiscate cars or crush them for no reason. If people don't want to own a car they can't register for use on the roads, why block the sale of these vehicles? There are plenty of people out there that spend lots of money on toys not meant for the street.

Not that I'm saying that any of this makes sense at all. I'd rather they put the effort into getting rid of all the un-registered, neglected, unsafe pieces of crap rolling around Milwaukee that are an accident waiting to happen.

WhatsADSM
03-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Then wouldn't the easy solution be for the feds to just deny registration? Problem solved. No need to go around trying to confiscate cars or crush them for no reason. If people don't want to own a car they can't register for use on the roads, why block the sale of these vehicles? There are plenty of people out there that spend lots of money on toys not meant for the street.

Not that I'm saying that any of this makes sense at all. I'd rather they put the effort into getting rid of all the un-registered, neglected, unsafe pieces of crap rolling around Milwaukee that are an accident waiting to happen.

There is a very long story behind this, that I won't get into.

They have already been denying registration on skylines for probably 5 or 6 years (maybe more?). Even so people still sneak them in, or try all sorts of crazy stuff and drive them on the streets anyways. It's not a simple as just denying registration (Which is on a state-by-state basis anyways)

Flicktitty
03-04-2011, 11:38 AM
i agree with Whatsadsm, Plus alot of people buy beat up 240sx's and swap vin plates/tags and register them as 240sx's. there is also the whole gray area "kit car" option too.

Waver
03-04-2011, 12:57 PM
i agree with Whatsadsm, Plus alot of people buy beat up 240sx's and swap vin plates/tags and register them as 240sx's. there is also the whole gray area "kit car" option too.
Yeah, I have read up on this.....there is a website that is selling newer skylines (r43's) as kit cars....the only way you can keep one of these is if it has a govt assigned vin.....I believe it starts with a bx

TransAm12sec
03-05-2011, 08:17 PM
There is a very long story behind this, that I won't get into.

Have a link to read about it?

I like this quote: "but also raised the eternal question of whether such pursuits are the best use of government resources."

WhatsADSM
03-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Have a link to read about it?

I like this quote: "but also raised the eternal question of whether such pursuits are the best use of government resources."

lots of good info in this thread:
http://forums.nicoclub.com/so-you-want-to-buy-a-skyline-in-the-us-t159216.html

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
03-05-2011, 09:38 PM
lots of good info in this thread:
www.forums.nicoclub.com/so-you-want-to-buy-a-skyline-in-the-us-t159216.html

dead link murray

nismodave
03-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Site sucks balls anyway!

Russ Jerome
03-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Problem is they are overbuilding the cars.....too fast 4 me
https://sites.google.com/site/miscmicsforlinks/_/rsrc/1249006754064/Home/nocarshows.JPG

GHOSST
03-05-2011, 10:14 PM
That's crazy... I would be pissed if the feds came to seize my Camaro... What a great use of resources and manpower.. Lame.

nismodave
03-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Hahahaha!! Forgot about that pic!

WhatsADSM
03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
dead link murray

Ahh sorry did it from the phone. This should work:
http://forums.nicoclub.com/so-you-want-to-buy-a-skyline-in-the-us-t159216.html

SmokinRAM114
03-06-2011, 08:21 PM
i wonder if my old imported VW gtd would have some qualification for this... even tho the "chassis" was released here the turbo intercooled diesel engine package wasnt. i know the owner who imported it here and had to jump through a whole bunch of hoops to get a us title

WhatsADSM
03-08-2011, 03:04 PM
i wonder if my old imported VW gtd would have some qualification for this... even tho the "chassis" was released here the turbo intercooled diesel engine package wasnt. i know the owner who imported it here and had to jump through a whole bunch of hoops to get a us title

The importation of each vehicle is different.

What I have posted here pertains to skylines. The Feds have had very BAD experiences with them in the past and the "importers" who were not doing things to code, and they therefore have a hard-on for crushing them.

BigSnailBuick
03-10-2011, 01:55 PM
A skyline is for sale on Nasioc right now and everyone was making a big stink about this... Be prepared to spend 25g's and lose your ride blah blah blah...

On a sidenote..that guy knowing what might happen should have stripped that car to a fuckin shell on day 1...Thats what I would have done. Fuck the feds..thats how the car came and has been the last 5 years I would have said lol

Al
03-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Is there some way you can cut the firewall out of another car, such as a Sentra, and weld it into a skline chassis but title it as a Sentra? Better yet, borrow some pieces from a 1927 Dodge pickup and call it a rat rod.

In other words, what is the defining piece of a car? You can put a Neon body on a truck chassis and title it under the truck. What can a Skyline owner do?

WhatsADSM
03-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Is there some way you can cut the firewall out of another car, such as a Sentra, and weld it into a skline chassis but title it as a Sentra? Better yet, borrow some pieces from a 1927 Dodge pickup and call it a rat rod.

In other words, what is the defining piece of a car? You can put a Neon body on a truck chassis and title it under the truck. What can a Skyline owner do?

People have playing the kit car game since the beginning of time. I'm pretty sure Jesus had a "kit car" skyline.
Ultimately it boils down to how it is registered:

State register as a Skyline. Feds hate this and yes they are after your car if you do this. Don't be surprised if your shit gets crushed, that is the risk you take.
Attempt kit-car registration. I'm pretty sure that the state is not supposed to allow a registration of a Skyline as a kit car. I'd bet if the Feds get wind of this your car meet the wrecking ball.
However if you take a 240sx and turn it into a Skyline there really isn't much they can do as the car is a 240sx. And no its not as simple as cutting the firewall from a 240 and splicing it in as a Skyline is RHD, and a (US) 240 is LHD. Taking a 240 and Skyline and making a single 240 out of it, is in fact a "legal" way to do it although not easy.

Or just work with the Feds and try to do it legally. Everything that JK did to legalize the skyline is public information. So just work with the NHTSA to do it right and get a pass from them. They will then turn you over to the EPA who will want to see OBD-II and emissions compliance. Which I have said for years is the only real thing holding the Skyline back from legal importation. And I'm pretty damn sure you can get a VG30 computer and OBD-II system up and running on the skyline, and tuning it to pass emissions, assuming a stock engine, should certainly be possible.