PDA

View Full Version : Dog Experts Check IN!

CATNHAT
03-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Too Neuter or not to neuter (castration)(balls chopped off)

So we got a little MALE non-shed dog for the kids who are all allergic and so is mom. I wanted a Samoyed. Anyway, vet says he needs to be neutered. I dont think he does. I understand there are advatages to neutering like a)reducing pet population b)he wont lift his leg to mark his territory c)wont run away as much d) possible reduced risk of cancer e)reduced aggression f)etc.

My argument is that this is a little house dog that wont be doing any breeding with the neighbors 120lb German Sheperds (yes plural). He is already potty trained so I dont think he will be peeing on the furniture, We live adjacent to a lage wooded area so if he wants to go explore in there fine. And, I dont see the need for it.

$ is not a factor in the decision. $300 for ball removal.

So: Chop off the balls or leave his package alone?

And, my family, neighbors, friends have already given me shit for getting a little dog so Stews jokes about me having a little dog are old already.

JC70SS
03-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Do it. Our male GSD is not only because he is a show dog and is an AKC champion. He is not very friendly with other males.....pisses on everything outside including every man hole when on a walk. If he was not this kind of dog it would have happened without a doubt.

animal
03-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Depends how cost effective it is. I paid $300 for my dog and they want $300-350 to neuter him.

For all the crusading in favor of neuter/spay for reasons other than vets making money, they sure do make alot to do it.

I guess my doggie is lucky though... I find that to cost way too much to remove his manhood... sorry drew carey.

Rocket Power
03-03-2011, 08:35 AM
My male dog hasn't had balls for 8 years, still pees on every tree when we go for a walk and will even lift his leg with no pee left. He also wanders off if he gets off the chain when we let him out. I still vote to lop them off.

BigSnailBuick
03-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Do it. Our male GSD is not only because he is a show dog and is an AKC champion. He is not very friendly with other males.....pisses on everything outside including every man hole when on a walk. If he was not this kind of dog it would have happened without a doubt.

Quoted for truth...My american eskimo is still packing heat and I cant take him anywhere. He marks everything...tries to lay pipe in every dog to the point I leave him home when we go to the dog park etc... Even other no ball males at the dog park knew something was different and were aggressive towards him when he was minding his own business. It only affected him negatively the past 9 years.

If the dog isnt going to be a drink beer hunting/breeding/show champion de-man him a little for his own good. My 2 cents

Prince Valiant
03-03-2011, 09:27 AM
do it...as pointed out, it removes a big stressor in the dog's life. Other male dogs intact or not will treat your dog differently.

Neutering tends to reduce the dominance drive, TENDS to reduce marking (marking can be a dominance trait...so neutered dogs will mark as a display of dominance), reduces the chances of certain cancers/diseases, doesn't dramatically affect growth (some dogs it does reduce the "filling out"), and tends to reduce dominance displays (ie, humping). Lastly, and probably most importantly with a dog like a samoyed, it'll reduce roaming...ie, males will want to find mates...if there is a dog/coyote in heat anywhere near, he'll know it and want after it...and spitz type dogs (samoyeds, american eskimos, huskys, malamutes, etc) are bar none the worst about roaming...it's in their blood to roam.

Notice about all these things...I didn't say that it eliminates it. But it certainly does help...and the sooner the better.

Best bet is to neuter before marking/humping becomes the norm...once they start doing it, it's a learned thing. They'll do it after being cut. If you do it before, it could still happen, but far less frequently/less intensity of the behaviors.

Basically you got the little guy to be a sweet dog for the kids...neutering will only help him be sweeter really. It will reduce the likelyhood of some of the behaviors you don't want, and make life easier on him in general. You're dog will be around what 15 years or so? A few hundred dollars for a 15 year span isn't too bad.

michelle
03-03-2011, 09:28 AM
I'd get him neutered. You would be amazed what a little unfixed dog will do when a female dog is in heat (any size too).

Did your breeder have a recommendation for a time to do it (age-wise)? With Danes, it is recommended to wait until they are over a year old, but I know it can depend on the breed, maturity, growth patterns, etc.

WI_Dave
03-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Chop them, unless breeding or showing there is no need/gain other than owners pride. I have read alot about waiting till 6 months old for hormone developement but no longer than that.

pOrk
03-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Choperoo, but f the vet MADACC will do it for 70 bucks. Just need to have a Milwaukee County address

88Nightmare
03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
another vote to have them removed

CATNHAT
03-03-2011, 07:45 PM
I know some of the respondents really know their stuff about dogs and we will be having the procedure next thursday.

Thanks for the input and information!

OxmanWI
03-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Should I get? Princess

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h72/oxman64/wallpaper07_1024.jpg

lordairgtar
03-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Jeez Oxman, is that a dog? Or some science lab experiment.

Prince Valiant
03-04-2011, 12:29 PM
yes...ugly dogs rule!

OxmanWI
03-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Can't wait to run my fingers through her hair, such a cutie.