PDA

View Full Version : Do 01/02 LS1's come with LS6 intakes?

GTSLOW
08-05-2004, 10:42 PM
There's a guy trying to tell me they do but I'm kinda sceptical. Its out of an 01 WS6 firebird.

JC70SS
08-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Yes along with the EGR delete.

BAD LS1
08-06-2004, 07:45 AM
Yep 01+ got all the good stuff :xmas

LS6 intake, select few came with the LS6 short block/special block casting,better rod bolts,better oil pump, more powerful PCM, bigger cam, better clutch, EGR was axed.

The 01-02's were seen regularly breaking into the 12's in completely stock condition. And were also noted at making their rated flywheel power (325) or (310), at the rear wheels.

Corvette Jabo
08-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Yep 01+ got all the good stuff :xmas

LS6 intake, select few came with the LS6 short block/special block casting,better rod bolts,better oil pump, more powerful PCM, bigger cam, better clutch, EGR was axed.

The 01-02's were seen regularly breaking into the 12's in completely stock condition. And were also noted at making their rated flywheel power (325) or (310), at the rear wheels.

When looking for one of these on ebay or where ever how do you identify a car with the good parts on an LS6?

BAD LS1
08-06-2004, 10:13 AM
When looking for one of these on ebay or where ever how do you identify a car with the good parts on an LS6?

If im understanding your question correctly here... All LS6 engines have these upgraded features standard plus unique heads too on LS6's

I can tell a LS6 block from a LS1 other than removing the trans and looking at the casting #. Right behind the water pump directly under the intake neck, there will be two round "bullseye" looking circles cast into the block on LS1 blocks. LS6 engines do not have these "bullseye" markings in the same location, they are smooth. LS6 blocks kinda have a champaign color tint to the block where the LS1 is bright alluminum.

Corvette Jabo
08-06-2004, 10:22 AM
If im understanding your question correctly here... All LS6 engines have these upgraded features standard plus unique heads too on LS6's

I can tell a LS6 block from a LS1 other than removing the trans and looking at the casting #. Right behind the water pump directly under the intake neck, there will be two round "bullseye" looking circles cast into the block on LS1 blocks. LS6 engines do not have these "bullseye" markings in the same location, they are smooth. LS6 blocks kinda have a champaign color tint to the block where the LS1 is bright alluminum.

How hard is it to find a 01 with an LS6? You seem to be the man on these.

BAD LS1
08-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Its not terribly hard... My car is a VERY early 01', it was built in Aug of 00' and it indeed has the LS6 block.

Although records show less than 10% of all 01 F bodies came with LS6 blocks. And its like 25% of all 02' F's came with the LS6 block.

Now there is no proven performance benny's from having an LS6 over and LS1 block, the LS1's of 01+ all got the same goodies internally and externally.

Also forgot to mention the 01+ came with very trick cast iron manifolds that flow awesome, versus the tubular stainless of early years.

The only thing you get out of a LS6 block is bigger ports cast into the block in the crank case to allow each bulkhead to breathe better (windage). And the block is cast from a higher grade alloy and use much better casting processes which provides less chance of pourosity and fatigue resitance. LS1 blocks are cast in Canada, LS6 are cast in Montupet Mexico.

Corvette Jabo
08-06-2004, 11:22 AM
So knowing what you know about Z's. What would year would you buy and trim (Z28 or SS)? Whick model and year has the best factory parts to build on?

BAD LS1
08-06-2004, 11:50 AM
An 01 or 02 Z28 would be your best bet for building a drag racer out of, they dont have heavy upgraded suspension and other item's like SS have which technically were designed around road racing.

Your gonna get the most bang for the buck out of these years, the Z28 you get the light weight right out of the box.

knock on cheap wood, but i ring my out to 7K on the stock internals, religuosly. Also the new CTS V caddy's have 7K rev limiters with an LS6 in 'em with the very same internals.

Corvette Jabo
08-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all your help, I may contact you when I get closer to getting one.

Again, You The Man!

Crawlin
08-06-2004, 01:14 PM
i'll agree with Tom on the years to look for.... to a point ;)

depends on how serious you are in terms of motor building and wanting to race it.

daily driver/weekend warrior = '01-'02
full drag like mine = '99

reason being is you'll end up saving alot of money on the car itself anyways. in the end, i basically paid about $6500 tops for my '99. It's higher mileage and needs some small cosmetic stuff to make it perfect, but hey, it was cheap as hell. The '99-'02 also have a better computer setup than the '97-'98 LS1 cars(vettes and f-bodies). While coming with slightly smaller injectors in '99-'00, you would probably end up changing them as well with a larger build. even Tom changed his out in his '01 and he has the higher rated ones than all the years previous.

It comes down to what you want to do with the car. Like i said, daily driver/weekend warrior for the time being, do like Tom said and get the '01-'02. Better intake(LS6), no egr, better rod bolts, cam provides slightly more torque than previous years, better exhaust manifolds stock, and the possibility of the ls6 block.

BAD LS1
08-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Right, thats a my bad on my part.

I forgot to mention the cost stand point of the whole car which is very important to the situation as well.

Yes older cars that you are gonna make into drag racers are your best by a LONG shot!!! Your gonna be paying close to 20K for a used 01-02 pending on how optioned out etc...

Not many wanna make a race car out of something your making payments on, my car i bought brand new and i had 10,500 to put down on it from a trade and GM supplier discount which was like 3k so i financed not much at all and got decent monthly payments and paid it off in 3 years.

Yeah by far though, if you wanna drag racer do a 99!! and the money saved can buy you a built motor, just like Chris :burnout

Crawlin
08-06-2004, 05:42 PM
i only have the LG G5X3R69 cam. special grind for me. it's THE largest cam to fit under stock heads made to date. i wish i could afford a built motor. cam only for me

Chris :tomato

lotsals1
08-06-2004, 05:58 PM
01 z28 is the best bang for the buck --you can find those for about 13,000 or less --and there isnt any diff. other than the hood/rims ect. from a ss
and the odds are they are not beat to crap
same with a firebire vs ws6 -
i just seen one in a auto buyer for 12,500 -the market on these cars has bottomed out -since they do not make them anymore-resale has dropped big time--my car was a base modle T/A with a ls1-- cam /stock heads and longtube headers its a low 11 sec every day driver my car is as budget built as they come and its a 99 -- cam 400 headers 600 "from z28kid" intake 400
But a4's :automatics "watch out --thats my biggest problem right now--i wouldnt ,if i would of went with a flp extream built-even thow i prolly had 150 runs on my stock one before it blew the rear planet set out
i have yet to dyno with this cam and a good tune,, speed inc is always busy :bsflag