PDA

View Full Version : Almost Ready

PonyKiller87
08-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Well like many other cur guys out there my winter/spring project on the car has spilled way into summer, but its finaly almost done. I should have it running again tonight for the first time since started this project back in April. With any amout of luck it will be on the road this weekend. Heres a list of some of the stuff I did.

700R4 to T56 Tranny Swap

Installed 4th gen gauges into 3rd gen dash(needs some work still but it works)

Relocated the battery to the spare tire compartment.
Sealed battery box
Kill switch
Remote starter solenoid

Install vacuum pump(from a caddy) and vac tank to help the brakes work better.

Patched up the fire wall to eliminate the holes where the heater used to go.

Well thats all or most of it. Hopefully I will have it ready so I can bring it to BK next monday. Needs a Serious washing before that though, lol

loud91rs
08-05-2004, 09:58 AM
sounds like a cool project! how was the t56 swap? i was thinking about doing that myself. know about how many horse that thing can handle? i'd be interested in seeing that firewall because i hate what mine looks like without the heater box. guages sound cool as well. good luck!

eviljay
08-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Do you have any pics of the dash swap. I can't imagine how that would fit. It sounds pretty cool though....

PonyKiller87
08-05-2004, 10:49 AM
To tell you the truth the T56 swap was the easiest part of the project, I think total time for just switching the tranny and fabing up the cross member was maybe 10 hrs at best. What took a while was putting in the pedals (had auto) and wring up the guages and everything else. I actualy took the entire dash out to do this, made it so much easier rather than laying upside down under there.

As far as the T56, I think I heard once that stock it will handle 450 ft lbs ??? not sure though.

As far as the firewall goes it looks so much better. I also removed the stock wiper motor(big ugly piece of crap), patched that hole, and mounted a newer smaller wiper motor in the wiper cowl(not quite finished yet). Originaly it was going to get covered with one big peice of aluminum, but as Mark and I found out 1/16 thick aluminum is not easy to "bend to fit" so that idea got scraped after about 2 days of trying.

PonyKiller87
08-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Not yet but once its running and everything I will have time to take some pics, and I will post a bunch of stuff.

loud91rs
08-05-2004, 01:08 PM
i would also like to see those gauges also because i am planning on taking out my stock ones and putting in a 4th gen dash with my own gauge cluster with autometer gauges. did you do an entire dash swap or just the gauges? sounds really interesting!

PonyKiller87
08-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Just the guages, had to modify the cluster, and the dash a little to get it to fit, but its in there, I have to make a trim plate, and clear shield yet. Takes some serious thinking to get the wiring right. I saved all my notes and stuff, plus there are a few very good posts about it on Thirdgen.org, some of which would help you with putting in that 4 gen dash. I though about using the whole dash, but decided that I like the stock one, it fits the car well.

We should have a 3rd gen Mod fest some weekend so we can all check stuff out and compare or something ????

loud91rs
08-05-2004, 03:47 PM
i think that would be a really good idea...i have so much planned for the winter but don't wanna tear the car apart yet, it's drivable lol. i'd love to see everybody elses 3rdgen.

PonyKiller87
08-05-2004, 10:18 PM
OMG it was great to drive the car again. :rockwoot: Theres a few little minor bugs to work out here and there but its awesome. The T56 is a night and day difference from my old 700R4. :3gears: The car flys now(not sure how fast, one of the bugs is the speedo is wrong). I went up and down the street once then came home and parked it because the last time I had it out for the first time like that I got a ticket in the first hour of driving it. Anyways, if I can get the hood on it, and get it all washed up, I should have it at BK on monday.

SMS 1
08-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Sounds like a sweet ride Kevin. What the hell, just because we don't have a bunch of modding planned doesn't mean we can't get a little 3rd gen fest going anyway! Beer still tastes the same without tools in your hand believe it or not!!!

PonyKiller87
08-07-2004, 12:46 AM
A 3rd gen thing would be great. Im not much of a beer drinker but, its still cool.

Yeah so I took the car out a little more tonight and realized right away what happens when you get excited and dont pay attention. Forgot to put the damn hood pins on, all was good till I broke about 40 mph at which time the hood opened very quickly. Thank god I stopped just as fast, and it wasnt bent or anything bad(you can actualy drive pretty well looking through that space under the hood when its up) After that we futzed with the timing and TPS all that seems good. Headers need to be coated because there is entirely to much heat under the hood. Need to tighten the header bolts again, had a few small leaks but the pipes were so hot I couldnt take care of it. Y pipe is hanging way to low so I have to fix that. I have a miss around 4000 rpms at wot ??? not sure whats up with that. A few minor problems with the lights in the new cluster. And the speedo still doesnt work. I think thats about it though, lol Should keep me busy for a while.

rsscoty
08-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Glad you're back on the road Kevin. I wish I was still there to get in on a thirdgen thing.

Scoty

PonyKiller87
08-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Scotty,

Make that was on the road, lol. Its been down again for about a week now, waiting to get the headers back from being ceramic coated. So much for what they told me about moving fast and getting done in a few days (its been over a week now). Hopefully it will be back up this weekend.

Where did you go that your not around? Off to school?

rsscoty
08-20-2004, 03:18 PM
No didn't go to school. Moved back to Ar in April. Got a job as foreman for a construction co there. Couldn't pass it up. Plus I get to see my little girls more.

Scoty

Yooformula
08-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Hows life there Scotty?

No didn't go to school. Moved back to Ar in April. Got a job as foreman for a construction co there. Couldn't pass it up. Plus I get to see my little girls more.

Scoty

PonyKiller87
08-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Well I finaly got the headers back after 2 weeks, an they look great. Just gotta fix the y pipe tonight so that it doesnt hang so low and it should be ready to hit the road again. Wont be out to much though till the rain stops because the t-tops leak like hell. :goof