PDA

View Full Version : Horse Power

Arigmaster
02-20-2011, 07:06 PM
What an interesting month we have been having with all this snow huh?

I have been working on a project for one of my wireless carriers over the past month and a half and needless to say the weather has not been cooperating in the least bit. From sub zero temps. to snow and more snow. And then the thaw where everything turned to instant mud. and then back to ice and more snow.

Anyway, it brought the project almost to a complete halt but I don't give up that easily. When it became obvious that the work sites were no longer accessible by anything with wheels or tracks there was only one option.

Plan "C"

I found a guy from the area and began using his draft horses to bring equipment into the work sites and I must say.... It worked like a charm.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/185727_178711352174335_100001064142340_428712_1753 985_n.jpg

These two big boys powered through snow and ice that was up to their chest like it was nothing. They even pulled our Lull construction lift out of the site where it was stuck for two days.

The client was very impressed. Score one for "old school tech!"

wrath
02-20-2011, 08:38 PM
The amazing part is how effortlessly they do work as long as you let them go at their own pace.

lordairgtar
02-20-2011, 11:51 PM
That's real horsepower

GHOSST
02-21-2011, 01:48 PM
What if Horses were never the corner stone of our transportation, and we ended up with like, Donkey Power, or Camel Power, or something off the wall, hahaha.

SSLEVO
02-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Very cool, i would have never thought to do that. probably would have just kept on bringing larger and larger equipment in until i got it, lol

Arigmaster
02-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Very cool, i would have never thought to do that. probably would have just kept on bringing larger and larger equipment in until i got it, lol

I was thinking the same way at first and then I ran across a video on youtube about modern day horse logging operations and another where some power companies were using them to pull poles and run power lines through remote forest areas so they didn't have to cust out as many trees. It just made sense after that.

DurtyKurty
02-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Very neat.