PDA

View Full Version : Emissions Testing

OxmanWI
02-19-2011, 11:26 AM
on my 1999 F150

If I delete the EGR system and have my tuner take it off the tune, will that be a problem when they test my truck at the testing center?

I live in Waukesha county

Thanks for the info,

Josh

BoosTT
02-19-2011, 11:32 AM
From what I understand, it'll pass as long as the cel is not on.

Car Guy
02-19-2011, 11:48 AM
It will pass if no codes are present with all monitors (sensors) ready.....

BoosTT
02-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Too bad this is $1000

http://www.scantool.net/ecusim.html

Car Guy
02-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Much cheaper (free) and easier methods of passing an emission test.....

BlackLightning
02-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Much cheaper (free) and easier methods of passing an emission test.....

+1 I thought a lot of people on here do this.

It should pass as long as there is no CEL as mentioned before.

Reverend Cooper
02-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah it will pass as long as the computer passes all monitior tests,if it doesnt do all monitor tests it will NOT pass for sure.

88Nightmare
02-20-2011, 08:38 PM
if monitors are incomplete, it will still fail (test will say inconclusive) even with no cel's like mentioned before. had that issue with my girlfriend's cavalier.

BAD LS1
02-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Fyi.... Up to 2 tests incomplete allowed out of the 7 to be exact on that truck. 00 plus vehicles only 1 incomplete allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stealthy1ss
02-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Can't the emission tester detect if a code has been turned off? I have heard of people running into this problem in other states but I am unsure about here in WI.

OxmanWI
02-23-2011, 10:04 AM
I asked my tuner if he could just turn it off in the tune. He said that it will not pass emissions because when they test the car through the OBD2 port is will not find the EGR. "Monitors are incomplete." I believe him but I've heard otherwise with guys that are not in Milwaukee county.

Fyi.... Up to 2 tests incomplete allowed out of the 7 to be exact on that truck. 00 plus vehicles only 1 incomplete allowed.

What does this mean? So if the EGR is incomplete being one test and everything else is ok, I'm fine?

BAD LS1
02-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Well my experience is limited to GM stuff, but is still the generic obdII. When I set a code to "no error reported" it simply thinks all is well with what it is seeing, never turns on the cel and shows up almost immediately as "complete" in the test view. No one is the wiser, plug in tests end up a fast pass and no issues. You miss one code though that has to do with that function, it will not set complete. Typically evap test is the only one I don't see complete, which it will still pass if the remaining 6 are complete.

BAD LS1
02-23-2011, 10:46 AM
I asked my tuner if he could just turn it off in the tune. He said that it will not pass emissions because when they test the car through the OBD2 port is will not find the EGR. "Monitors are incomplete." I believe him but I've heard otherwise with guys that are not in Milwaukee county.

What does this mean? So if the EGR is incomplete being one test and everything else is ok, I'm fine?

^^^^ Yes. You could have egr and evap incomplete and still pass too.

Waver
02-23-2011, 11:20 AM
So is this the same if you have the cats removed and you are using MIL emiminators? It should still pass (you just have to pray that you dont have a visual inspection done)?

OxmanWI
02-23-2011, 02:05 PM
I did some digging and I think BadLS1 is right. There are 8 monitors that are tested:

Oxygen (O2) Sensor
Secondary Air
Heated Catalyst
Air Conditioning (AC) System
O2 Sensor Heater
Catalyst (CAT)
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
Evaporative (EVAP)

The guidelines allow up to two monitors to be "not ready" for 1996 – 2000 vehicles and one monitor “not ready” for 2001 and newer model year vehicles up to 8,501 pounds.

Found the info at http://wivip.com/

Thank you for your help guys,

Josh

deuceWI
02-23-2011, 02:15 PM
My old zx-poo had a catless header and a chip that both tweaked the tuned and removed the CEL.

Rolled through emissions just fine.

I pretty sure the idiots at the testing stations wouldn't know what to look for half the time anyway.