PDA

View Full Version : Stud length with slicks question

73MACH
02-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Anybody know off the top of their heads what is needed to pass tech? Is there a rule or what? I've heard of it being a factor to other people, don't want it to be one for me....

Thanks

badass88gt
02-18-2011, 03:23 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the diameter of the stud has to extend past the end of the nut, meaning a 1/2" wheel stud has to stick out 1/2" past the end of the lug nut. I could be wrong though...

DR.FORD
02-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Slicks also means a driveshaft loop within 6" of the tail shaft housing end.

73MACH
02-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Slicks also means a driveshaft loop within 6" of the tail shaft housing end.

That's what I thought too, wasn't sure on the distance....Could anyone else comfirm the length that badss99gt says? I just want to be sure before I go buy some studs.

Thanks guys!!

0TransAm0
02-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Eh. I have street slicks on stock studs with no drive shaft safety loop and have never been checked for one. And I only run high 11's .....

DR.FORD
02-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Eh. I have street slicks on stock studs with no drive shaft safety loop and have never been checked for one. And I only run high 11's .....

If there is ANY tread on the tire, and is DOT approved, they do not have to check- You are getting away with nothing.

Length as stated is correct.

GTO Jeff
02-19-2011, 09:16 AM
If there is ANY tread on the tire, and is DOT approved, they do not have to check- You are getting away with nothing.

Length as stated is correct.

The one time I ran my car at GLD with MT ET Street Radials they complained because I did not have a driveshaft loop and because I had rubber valve stems instead of metal ones. I had acorn nuts on the studs so you couldn't see how far the studs protruded and they didn't say a word about that. And my car only runs low 12's.

Gregor
02-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Press in valve stem are a no no for GLD. Most of the time they will let them slide if you are running a street tire, but will get you if you are running a Drag radial or Slicks. This is what I was told when I bought my drag radials.

Dont you also need a SFI Flexplate/Flywheel if your running a drag radial or Slick?

DR.FORD
02-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Press in valve stem are a no no for GLD. Most of the time they will let them slide if you are running a street tire, but will get you if you are running a Drag radial or Slicks. This is what I was told when I bought my drag radials.

Dont you also need a SFI Flexplate/Flywheel if your running a drag radial or Slick?

Technically yes, but that entails getting under the car, possibly removing an inspection cover, etc!
I'm pretty sure in GTOJeffs situation, they would let the tires run, but the valve stems are a big nono.
I'm pretty tight with GLD's tech guy-we have discussed this.

73MACH
02-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Got the metal valve stems already so I'm good there.

Russ Jerome
02-19-2011, 07:59 PM
NHRA and IHRA read the same, 100% of stud diameter past last thread just like described above.

Gregor
02-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Well I am toast then because I have Draglites with Moroso studs and Mcgard lugs and they do not stick out pass the lugs. Maybe I should have gone with the cheaper lugs.

GTO Jeff
02-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Technically yes, but that entails getting under the car, possibly removing an inspection cover, etc!
I'm pretty sure in GTOJeffs situation, they would let the tires run, but the valve stems are a big nono.
I'm pretty tight with GLD's tech guy-we have discussed this.

They let me run that day with the rubber stems and no safety loop. They said they wouldn't let me run again without that stuff. Funny they said nothing about the stud length. Maybe they saw the Moser logos on my axles and figured the studs were long enough with my plain steel wheels? Or maybe they didn't want to make me cry.

http://webphotos.ath.cx/GLD1.jpg

DR.FORD
02-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Nice lookin' car!

Russ Jerome
02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
They let me run that day with the rubber stems and no safety loop.

GLD as well as others apply common sense sometimes. I've seen freinds get DQ'ed for stupid crap not even in books but we have all seen cracked windsheilds or rotory guys with no rear brakes at all...no calipers or nothing!

Im trying to do mine so there will be no doubt in my mind, if I roll into Moroso speedway in FL I want to know I will pass in my mind.

DR.FORD
02-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Keep in mind....
Tech is for the safety of YOU and the person in the other lane!
It's not how fast you go-I've seen a 13 second car crash and the driver was injured.

73MACH
02-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Safety is key!