PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Commander or Dodge Durango

03CVLX
02-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Considering picking up an SUV and I am wanting something a little bit bigger but not sure If I want to go as big as a Suburban/Tahoe or Expedition due to parking issues. Does anyone have a Jeep Commander or Durango? What should I look out for or should I just stay away from them.

Thanks, Tom

88Nightmare
02-13-2011, 11:49 AM
why not an explorer? the new 2011 explorers are pretty sharp

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/223163-4/08-2011-ford-explorer.jpg

Prince Valiant
02-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Many would say just stay away....here's the thing, if unwilling to make the "jump" to a Suburban/Tahoe, these vehicles are really nearly as big....like 98 cents to the dollar. Durango's are nearly as long, not quite as wide...commanders are tall, very tall.

But, if looking at a Commander, don't get the 3.7 v6. It actually offers somewhat acceptable performance, but horrid gas mileage on the hwy (18-19 @ 70mph). Might be a good large "city" SUV in that the mileage for v6 in city driving probably bringing in 15-16mpg.

As far as Commander/Durango's are concerned, either the Hemi or the 4.7 offer decent performance and if driven easy on the hwy, deliver okay mileage. A good value might be to find a 08 or later Durango with the 4.7. Nearly as much HP as the hemi (303hp vs 330), and though it's rated lower mileage w/o cylinder deactivation, does pretty well below 70mph.

In general, there seems to be few advantages to going with the smaller SUV's unless you go real small (IE, equinox, patriot, rav4, cr-v's, escape) which offer less room, but more utility than you vic, -OR- going to do a lot of city stop and go, where the mid-sizes have less weight to lug around and will get 15-20% better mileage on avg.

03CVLX
02-13-2011, 11:57 AM
why not an explorer? the new 2011 explorers are pretty sharp

Yes, I do like the new 2011 Explorer but I am gonna have to stay with a used one Probably 2006+ depending on price and miles. My Dad has a Mountaineer and I just can't seem to get that comfortable in it for some reason and it gets horrible mileage cause of the full time AWD. He is getting 12 in the city.

It's not totally ruled out but looking into some other options first.

Prince Valiant
02-13-2011, 12:00 PM
I'd also throw out there to consider the older GMC Terrian/Buick Acadia/Saturn whatever or see what you could find a in a ford flex, maybe an edge....

But another possible winner that has size, utility, AWD availability and has a ford badge (if that's important to you), TarusX aka Freestyle...though probably look for the former with the more powerful 3.5 263hp engine vs the freestyle's 3.0 with 202hp/CVTrans ones...but I'd imagine you could get one for a good price equipped as such...

03CVLX
02-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Yep, Thanks Prince. I have been looking at the GM trio but for some reason the prices are huge. 23K + is what im seeing unless it has big miles. Seeing Commanders with 36K miles on it with the V8 for around 17-19K. I am trying to stay under 20 as much as I can. Thought about a Taurus X also will check into that further too.

Prince Valiant
02-13-2011, 12:13 PM
If you look at a Freestyle with the 3.0 vs the tarusx with the 3.5, they rate the mileage for AWD's:

Freestyle: 17/22/19combined
TarusX: 15/22/18combined

That's almost 20% better city mileage for sacrificing some acceleration/towing ability...and you'll almost undoubtedly be able to find a freestyle quite a bit cheaper than a tarusx...though likely with more miles too, though they aren't old cars.

88Nightmare
02-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Trailblazers? They are a full framed SUV, RWD based, 4x4 available, and come in a wide variety of options and offerings. The 4.2L inline 6 in those are pretty stout, decent on the highway, and drive nice. They also are pretty easy to park. The 4x4 with decent tires is great in the snow too. I was borrowing my mothers during the blizzard. She picked her 2006 up fully loaded minus nav (heated power driver and passenger seats, leather, bose stereo, indash 6 disc, dual zone digital climate control...etc) with 66k miles for about 12,800

pOrk
02-13-2011, 12:44 PM
They all get shit fuel mileage

Yooformula
02-13-2011, 04:48 PM

truth! and ftr, my Yukon seems alot easier and feels smaller to drive than the Durangos but they are all BIG when it comes to parking. those mpg ratings are bullshit in the real world imo, these trucks are all big and a smaller motor just makes it work that much more to move the heavy pigs around.

FoxStang
02-13-2011, 05:26 PM
truth! and ftr, my Yukon seems alot easier and feels smaller to drive than the Durangos but they are all BIG when it comes to parking. those mpg ratings are bullshit in the real world imo, these trucks are all big and a smaller motor just makes it work that much more to move the heavy pigs around.

No kidding, there's a reason I take public transportation damn well near everywhere, and its not just cause of parking costs. The full time 4wd on my explorer absolutely murders the gas mileage, combine that with the city driving and I'm lucky to squeeze out 14 mpg. If you want economical transportation that gets decent mileage get a smaller crossover, if you need the utility just go a size up because the mileage difference will be negligible (as pork said, shit on all of em). Besides, the 1/2 ton based SUV's seem to be built tougher and are more durable than the trailblazers/explorers/durangos, which is always a plus.

88Nightmare
02-13-2011, 05:38 PM
I don't know about the explorers or durangos, but trailblazers still utilize the same 4l60e transmission in the half ton silverados and I think even a similar rear axle and transfer case.

Rocket Power
02-13-2011, 06:16 PM
My Dad has a Mountaineer and I just can't seem to get that comfortable in it for some reason and it gets horrible mileage cause of the full time AWD. He is getting 12 in the city.

Wow thats what I get in my Super Crew with a 5.4L

Prince Valiant
02-13-2011, 06:28 PM
truth!
No kidding, there's a reason I take public transportation damn well near everywhere, and its not just cause of parking costs. The full time 4wd on my explorer absolutely murders the gas mileage, combine that with the city driving and I'm lucky to squeeze out 14 mpg.
They do all get crummy mileage...but if you're going to get one, might as well get the one that'd do the least damage. At these mileage ranges, even a two mpg difference can represent a large difference in fuel cost.

But, over and above any mileage ratings, driving style is still the largest single predictor of fuel economy when dealing with similar types of vehicle.

I don't know about the explorers or durangos, but trailblazers still utilize the same 4l60e transmission in the half ton silverados and I think even a similar rear axle and transfer case.Explores use the 8.8 rear, the durango is more mechanically similar to the 1500 than a dakota, using the same trans and 9 1/4 rear.

pOrk
02-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Why do you need to go bigger? What about a Scion xB2? I can fit a TON of shit into the back of mine, and it gets 25 mpg in the winter and damn near 29 in the summer

03CVLX
02-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Not really wanting it for the size, I want it for the 4wd. For those of you who have met me, Im not exactly a small person height or weight :rolf So I like my bigger vehicles. I'm Sick of almost getting stuck on way home from work(even with Nokian Snows) and swapping wheels and tires every six months. Almost 7 years of doing that crap now and it is getting really old.

nismodave
02-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Does not matter...both suck.

JC70SS
02-13-2011, 08:13 PM
After owning a Grand Cherokee LTD I would never own a chrysler again. Junk. Best best find a used Acura MDX and drive it worry free for 200k miles.

03CVLX
02-13-2011, 08:32 PM
After owning a Grand Cherokee LTD I would never own a chrysler again. Junk. Best best find a used Acura MDX and drive it worry free for 200k miles.

Kinda what I figured. I hadn't exactly heard the best of things about it, but didn't want to immediately rule them out without at least a little research. Had a coworker with a Grand Cherokee he dumped it also due to lots of little problems. Not sure I can find an MDX in my price range or not but will look. Might look at 4 runners, seqouias, Pilots, and an Pathfinder and an Armada also.

Plum Crazy
02-13-2011, 09:46 PM
As a Chrysler tech, id probably steer clear of both of those vehicles. The Durango with a Hemi would be my choice out of the two. The Commander is on the small side (esp for us bigger guys) and has its issues. Wind noise would be the big one, its basicly a breadbox with wheels. Also, tranny cooler lines, weak engines, poor gas milage. The Durango is nice, but if you are looking for anything better than the teens on MPG, look to GM or an IMPORT IMO.

88Nightmare
02-13-2011, 09:50 PM
on a side note, my uncle has a fully loaded 2003 grand cherokee laredo with 4x4 and the 4.0 and he has about 240k worry free miles on it so far

Plum Crazy
02-13-2011, 09:52 PM
on a side note, my uncle has a fully loaded 2003 grand cherokee laredo with 4x4 and the 4.0 and he has about 240k worry free miles on it so far

^^Those Jeeps are Tanks!!! Almost bought one this winter, but the Subie keeps running. Its not unheard of to get 250K+ out of those Jeeps.

03CVLX
02-13-2011, 09:52 PM
As a Chrysler tech, id probably steer clear of both of those vehicles. The Durango with a Hemi would be my choice out of the two. The Commander is on the small side (esp for us bigger guys) and has its issues. Wind noise would be the big one, its basicly a breadbox with wheels. Also, tranny cooler lines, weak engines, poor gas milage. The Durango is nice, but if you are looking for anything better than the teens on MPG, look to GM or an IMPORT IMO.

And with that being said...:locked: Lock this one up. If the Chrysler tech is saying stay away, im not touching them. :rolf Guess I will stick to Ford, GM, or Foreign.

03CVLX
02-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Ok, so a Grand Cherokee might be ok??? What year range are we talking?

Plum Crazy
02-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Ok, so a Grand Cherokee might be ok??? What year range are we talking?

99-04. Preferibly with a I-6 4.0L and Selec-trac 4wd
(as in not all time 4wd) That combo is good for 200k+ easy. They are comforable and do well in all weather conditions.

VroomPshhTsi
02-13-2011, 10:01 PM
You can find any Average Joe who gets 200+k in ANY vehicle but it doesn't mean it's the best built one. Some cars are built better than others but you can still find a car with a poor history of reliability and as long as you keep up on all the maintenance, still have a chance of getting to 200k. Don't take just one example from one person and go with it. Keep researching and reading tons of reviews online and you will find an overall pattern of reliability. I know people with Trailblazers that love them but then I go online and find a lot of reviews ripping them apart saying how crappy their build quality is.

Rocket Power
02-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Go with an Expedition, Sorry I am Ford biased.:rolf

Prince Valiant
02-13-2011, 10:05 PM
I hadn't exactly heard the best of things about it, but didn't want to immediately rule them out without at least a little research.I wouldn't exactly call asking a question on what is basically a predominantly GM fanboi site "research," especially since anecdotal evidence is not really evidence :goof

Joe could tell you horror stories about his jeeps, and I can tell you my stories....dodge Ramcharger, bought new, 365,000 miles when sold, maintained well, nary a problem ever except a failed wheel bearing and ignition box. Jeep Grand Cherokee, bought new, sold at 315,000 miles needed a rebuilt trans at 230,000 miles and served a couple others on here quite well. Jeep Cherokee bought at 120,000 miles, sold at 180,000 miles...ran like new when I bought it, ran like new when I sold it. Had just taken ownership in my parent's 200,000 jeep when I had to have it totaled out after the floods, and aside from replacing a power steering pump and a TPS, all it required cost wise was tires, gas, oil, and transmission flushes since the day it rolled off the truck.

It's not that I'd recommend either the jeep or durango to you...I wouldn't unless you were a fan of them in the first place. They're both solid vehicles, with reliability around average for the industry when new...but let's face it, you're a ford guy...why else drive around in a crown vic? Stick with fords, you'll be happier you did.

...but which vehicles from which maker tends to have the highest reliability rating of all makes when measured by JD.Powers? Why generic used cars (http://www.getauto.com/auto-news/Down-the-Road/2007ModelYear-Used-Cars-Are-Most-Dependable-In-Industry-Apr-17-2010), of course.

Plum Crazy
02-13-2011, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't exactly call asking a question on what is basically a predominantly GM fanboi site "research," especially since anecdotal evidence is not really evidence :goof

Joe could tell you horror stories about his jeeps, and I can tell you my stories....dodge Ramcharger, bought new, 365,000 miles when sold, maintained well, nary a problem ever except a failed wheel bearing and ignition box. Jeep Grand Cherokee, bought new, sold at 315,000 miles needed a rebuilt trans at 230,000 miles and served a couple others on here quite well. Jeep Cherokee bought at 120,000 miles, sold at 180,000 miles...ran like new when I bought it, ran like new when I sold it. Had just taken ownership in my parent's 200,000 jeep when I had to have it totaled out after the floods, and aside from replacing a power steering pump and a TPS, all it required cost wise was tires, gas, oil, and transmission flushes since the day it rolled off the truck.

It's not that I'd recommend either the jeep or durango to you...I wouldn't unless you were a fan of them in the first place. They're both solid vehicles, with reliability around average for the industry when new...but let's face it, you're a ford guy...why else drive around in a crown vic? Stick with fords, you'll be happier you did.

...but which vehicles from which maker tends to have the highest reliability rating of all makes when measured by JD.Powers? Why generic used cars (http://www.getauto.com/auto-news/Down-the-Road/2007ModelYear-Used-Cars-Are-Most-Dependable-In-Industry-Apr-17-2010), of course.

They are both junk

/thread! :rolf:rolf

88Nightmare
02-13-2011, 11:07 PM
99-04. Preferibly with a I-6 4.0L and Selec-trac 4wd
(as in not all time 4wd) That combo is good for 200k+ easy. They are comforable and do well in all weather conditions.

You can find any Average Joe who gets 200+k in ANY vehicle but it doesn't mean it's the best built one. Some cars are built better than others but you can still find a car with a poor history of reliability and as long as you keep up on all the maintenance, still have a chance of getting to 200k. Don't take just one example from one person and go with it. Keep researching and reading tons of reviews online and you will find an overall pattern of reliability. I know people with Trailblazers that love them but then I go online and find a lot of reviews ripping them apart saying how crappy their build quality is.

its all about preventable maintenance. any late model nowadays should be good for 200k plus. The difference is how much unnecessary repairs it takes to get over 200k. I know my uncle's jeep hasn't needed anything other than typical wear items (tires/brakes/belts/hoses...etc). The thing still looks phenomenal inside and out. His previous vehicle, a 1995 Mazda MX-6 (ford probe gt) with the 2.5 DOHC 5 speed. That car lasted him to 185k and would have kept going strong, however he sold it when he bought his Jeep used for a great deal.
A regular where my Dad works brings his 2003 Grand Marquis in every two years religiously to have the timing chains, tensioners, and guides on his 4.6 completely changed, regardless of their condition. Excessive? Most likely. But a guy that anal about maintenance will most likely have his car last him a good long time.

Rocket Power
02-13-2011, 11:13 PM
A regular where my Dad works brings his 2003 Grand Marquis in every two years religiously to have the timing chains, tensioners, and guides on his 4.6 completely changed, regardless of their condition. Excessive? Most likely. But a guy that anal about maintenance will most likely have his car last him a good long time.
I think he ought to be checked for a OCD type disorder:rolf

His car should last him a long time, and with the money he's spending he could probably could've bought himself another one or two for spares:rolf

88Nightmare
02-13-2011, 11:24 PM
I think he ought to be checked for a OCD type disorder:rolf

His car should last him a long time, and with the money he's spending he could probably could've bought himself another one or two for spares:rolf

Oh I'm sure. And the shop is more than willing to take his money. He's just an old retired guy with too much time and money on his hands :durr

03CVLX
02-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Honestly this is my first ford of any kind. Every other single car has been GM. Bought it at the time because it was dirt cheap and a big roomy car. I do like the car alot, but its time to buy something a little bit more suited to climate around here. Guess I should just start driving stuff and see what I really like and go from there.

Waver
02-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Tom, if you are curious about the Taurus x or the Freestyle, ask Animal how he likes his. Over all they are great cars if you like the roomy wagon look to them. They were replaced by the Flex, and share a lot of the same mechanicals.

pOrk
02-14-2011, 12:11 PM
If your getting a huge gas guzzling shit pyle cause your a big dude, take the high road eat healthier lose some weight and get something fun like a subaru. Great awd action in snow and live longer

88Nightmare
02-14-2011, 05:56 PM
If your getting a huge gas guzzling shit pyle cause your a big dude, take the high road eat healthier lose some weight and get something fun like a subaru. Great awd action in snow and live longer

probably the best advice in this thread. That's my current goal for this year :thumbsup

British_Ben
02-14-2011, 06:18 PM
If you don't hate the styling (people either hate it or love it) and don't mind that it's "kind of" a 4-door (a 2+2). Take a look at the Toyota FJ cruiser. I'm 6'5" and 320lbs and it is very comfortable for me. They are huge inside, in the front. Not so comfortable for someone sitting behind me but it's rare that I actually have 4 in the vehicle and when I do, I can scoot up a notch and still be ok. For an average sized passenger in the back sitting behind an average sized passenger in the front, it is pretty comfortable, or so I hear.

4.0l V6 and A750E automatic transmission have been proven over and over in the Tacoma, 4 Runner, and Land Cruiser (Internationally, not the US Land Cruiser) for quite some time. 240hp, 280lb ft of torque (until 2010, then they changed the engine to dual vvt-i, 260 hp, 270lb ft). It scoots just fine. Parts are inexpensive and readily available. Aftermarket is insane.

4WD system is very good(no hubs, automatic disconnecting differential, 1 moving sealed part). The electric rear locker and A-Trac are nice features for certain situations as well although I only turned the locker on once to drive through a snowy ditch in Myles' yard and then again to drive up a 4 ft tall snow mound in Andy's yard (cryptic). I probably didn't even need it on.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have averaged about 16mpg and I bought it in January so I am expecting better mileage as we move into Spring. I do almost all city driving. On the freeway with a ScanGaugeII, I saw 21mpg at 75mph. Rated for 17/21.

Ricky Bobby
02-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee have had for four yrs no major problems except for the barn doors in the dash also have a 03 trailblazer ext its very comfortable and loaded the I6 is a beast but under powered for that big of a suv

SSLEVO
02-14-2011, 07:47 PM
We love our envoy, plenty of power if you ever need to tow and it will get 19 on the hwy if you are nice to it. We have the slt so it has just about every option imaginable. You could pick up a Denali with the 5.3 v8 which i would recommend for a bit more low end power.

03CVLX
02-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Lol, well actually Ive already lost about 25 lbs just cutting back on soda. So I am working on it. But I do tend to be the driver if everyone is going someplace. its been a few years but last Subaru I tried getting into the back seat of was frigging tiny. Just gotta look for best of everything.

03CVLX
02-14-2011, 07:56 PM
We love our envoy, plenty of power if you ever need to tow and it will get 19 on the hwy if you are nice to it. We have the slt so it has just about every option imaginable. You could pick up a Denali with the 5.3 v8 which i would recommend for a bit more low end power.

I forgot they made a Denali package Envoy. Granted I don't need every toy known to man but the V8 would be nice.

88Nightmare
02-14-2011, 08:40 PM
im pretty sure they make non ext trailblazers with the 5.3

SSLEVO
02-14-2011, 09:26 PM
im pretty sure they make non ext trailblazers with the 5.3

They do, came out in 05 i believe.