PDA

View Full Version : Tire Help

Plum Crazy
02-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I went thru the stock RS/A's on my challenger in 9000 miles
(my fault:thumbsup)

Anyways, im looking for a better replacement tire. The size is 245/45R20. I really dont know shit about tires. I looked on Tirerack but still am not sure. What do you guys run? Here is what Tirerack has. Any input would be apreciated!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=245%2F&ratio=45&diameter=20&x=49&y=15

lordairgtar
02-10-2011, 06:07 PM
A lot depends on what kind of driving you do. Do you race? Autocross? A lot of mileage? All factors. Most tires are going to be a compromise if this is your street car and race car. Rain? Snow? Dry? Remember most original equipment tires as installed are at best a minimal tire. The car maker isn't going to put a premium tire on a car unless of course it's something like a Mercedes or super high performance something or other.

PureSound15
02-10-2011, 06:15 PM
I would love to see a (stock) challenger try to autocross!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lordairgtar
02-10-2011, 06:18 PM
They have a class for those cars, atleast they did when I did it. Back in the early 80s I autocrossed a Hornet X V8 and I was in the class with the challengers and 'maros.

Plum Crazy
02-10-2011, 06:20 PM
I drive the car March to Nov. (depending on snow) I will drive it in the rain. Dragstrip, no autocross(i have seen stock Challengers Autox) I put 9000 miles on it in 9 months. Probably less this year seeing as i have another car to drive when its shitty out.

stealthy1ss
02-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Talk to Turtle.

Prince Valiant
02-10-2011, 08:34 PM
First off, I HATE RSA's...when new, they're a fine tire; quiet, smooth, reasonable in a variety of situations from grip in dry/wet to okay in snow.

BUT, expensive and no tread life. Got less than two years on my wife's car with her RSA's before they became a hazzard in less than good conditions.

So, looking at the tires available from the tire rack in that size, I deselected all but ones in the "ultra high performance all-season" and "high performance all season"

Then simply look at the consumer ratings...consumers tend to be a pretty good barometer of the tires...except OE tires. Why? Because who, when they get a new car, goes to the tire rack and rates their tires? No one...so most of the OE ratings on tire rack are probably people rating tires in dire need of replacement in the first place. Read many reviews of OE tires and you'd think "why did you even buy a car that rode like you claim it did on the OE's?"

Another thing I look at is the tire wear rating...look at the RSA's and you'll see their a pretty unimpressive 260. Look to the impressive looking yokohama avid's ENVigor tires and you'll see a much more satisfying 560. You can't translate the numbers into miles, but it does give you the idea that all else being equal, you'll probably go a lot further on the avid's than the RSA's.

The two rated the highest for the ultra and high performance all-seasons were the Continental ExtremeContact DWS's (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=445WR0ECDWS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes) (1,012/set) and the Yokohama AVID ENVigor (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor+%28W%29&partnum=445WR0ENV&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes) (772/set).

I just got the Yokohama's for the Shelby and like them...haven't put much miles on them, driving only a bit...but they're quiet, seem to do well in cold/wet, and they're a good looking tire...neat tread/etc. But either tire should fit the bill well in what you're looking to do...and you'll be able to trust them if your beater dies on you and you've got to push the big chally into winter driving situations, something you wouldn't want to do with summer tires.

And the Yoko's were a good value, being only 65/tire in the 195/60r15's that the CSX required :goof

I would love to see a (stock) challenger try to autocross!
I would imagine it's probably as good, if not better than say...a 2008 Bullit stang? Not too far off an earlier Roush?

Challenger: skidpad: .89g, figure 8: 25.9 seconds
Bullit 'stang: skidpad: .87g, figure 8: 26.3 seconds
2006 Stage 3 Roush: .93g, figure 8: 25.7 seconds

sourced: MT

I mean, it's big...but it does well with what it's got, no doubt. I just worry about being on the track a while, or a long fast track...that'd be a lot of weight to slow down over and over and over...

1320PNY
02-10-2011, 08:39 PM
If you drive in cold weather or light snow, Continental DWS is a good compromise for all season performance. If you do NOT need "all season" look into the Continental Extreme Contact DW.

I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S tires on the Mustang. Tire life is great, but not as sticky as I would like. They are a 420 AAA and I have over 10K on them and I will get another 10K out of them. They are good for a "heavy" performance car. They are great up front, but after 10K I feel they are less predictable in the corners.

I am going to go with the Conti Extreme DW when I switch. They are 340 AA and will perform much better. I may lose a little life, but these are a summer tire and will give the car much better handling. Also rated well for "heavy" performance cars.

MoCkiN U
02-10-2011, 11:39 PM
dont get too married to temperature and tread ratings until you are compairing manufacturer to manufacturer cause each one has its own ratings. Continental vs Continental = relevant ratings.

Continental vs Yokohoma wont tell you shit

UTQG ratings as stated dont go far cause it is manufacturer controlled to what they think the tire will do against DOT standards created.

We have lots of tire sponsors and peeps here to help. If you just wanna talk tires and be shown around what to look for just stop in. The store is real close to you just off pershing. Come into auto center and ask for Kelley or my right hand man Shay.

Plum Crazy
02-10-2011, 11:43 PM
dont get too married to temperature and tread ratings until you are compairing manufacturer to manufacturer cause each one has its own ratings. Continental vs Continental = relevant ratings.

Continental vs Yokohoma

UTQG ratings as stated dont go far cause it is manufacturer controlled to what they think the tire will do against DOT standards created.

We have lots of tire sponsors and peeps here to help. If you just wanna talk tires and be shown around what to look for just stop in. The store is real close to you just off pershing. Come into auto center and ask for Kelley or my right hand man Shay.

Pershing and what? where do you work? Sears?

MoCkiN U
02-10-2011, 11:57 PM
yup. I manage it.

I am off Friday 11th but Shay will be there. I actually wont be back till Monday. They dont understand the custom car world like we do but he knows tires.

Feature Pony
02-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Go with some BFG's!!! I would add a plus size in the front and rear if you can fit a 265/35/20 in the front and a 275/30/20 for the rear. If your wheels are 20x8 they should fit and it will make the car stand out a little more.

lilws6
02-11-2011, 11:38 AM
i'm in total agreeance about the rsa's they blow dick. sumitomos i put on the trans am lasted i think 6k miles??? lol my fault as well but they were cheap for 315's now i got a set off michelins off a viper that are much bigger they seem alright as far as the tire goes but damn there wicked expensive for a set of 335 17" michelins :)