PDA

View Full Version : Car accident question

Scales
08-03-2004, 08:24 PM
So Monday morning, my Dad is on his way to work when someone pulls out in front of him. He had no chance of hitting the brakes, and t-boned the guy at 50. His lap belt worked, but the shoulder belt (the automatic kind) didn't lock. My Dad hit the steering wheel HARD! He's pretty messed up right now! (fractured vertebre, broken sternum, bruised heart, bruised shoulder.) I always assumed that when you hit the brakes hard your belt(s) should lock. Since he didn't have a chance to even get off the gas, I can understand why the shoulder belt didn't work. But the lap belt did. Was this just a lucky flooke or was the shoulder belt defective? I'm curious if he has any kind of suit he can persue due to defective equiptment. Any insurance guys or otherwise knowing people, advice, or info would be greatly appericated!

Thanx

Al
08-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Sounds defective. It should lock with a quick tug.

Lash
08-03-2004, 08:39 PM
What year/kind of car was it?

Scales
08-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Now that you mention the "quick tug" thing, you're right. That belt should've locked right away!!! This is the car before it got totaled... http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4606

Al
08-03-2004, 08:51 PM
If you are looking for a case, the car needs to be much newer.

Scales
08-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Well that kinda sucks! I don't even know what he wants or plans to do about it. I just thought I'd get a head start on some research for him...

Al
08-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Guess you can say that s*** happens. Just try not to let it get to you.

Scales
08-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I know he was EXTREMELY lucky considering what could've hppened! I'm just glad he can still walk after it all!!!

Cryptic
08-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Sounds defective. It should lock with a quick tug.

what he said.... the fact that there's a sudden stop (of the car) should do the same effect.

Hope your dad is ok man...

Pig Pen
08-03-2004, 11:33 PM
It would be a very difficult case to get a lawyer to go to litigations over, especially if your dad may have ever disassembled the seat belts for some reason.

Scales
08-05-2004, 01:26 PM
what he said.... the fact that there's a sudden stop (of the car) should do the same effect.

Hope your dad is ok man...

Thx. So far so good. He was even up walking around that same night when he got released from the hospital.

SMS 1
08-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Man I can't believe the luck (well lack of) that has surrounded this group and thier families this year! Hope pop your Pop is OK. I'm with the rest on this one though I don't think there's gonna be much recourse on your part for legal proceedings on the equipment.

Scales
08-07-2004, 02:25 AM
Well I went to visit Pops tonight and he was off his medication for whatever reason so I have more details. His shoulder belt did hold slightly. Just long enough to make his shoulder/chest a nice shade of green. Somehow, he is already back at work, so I guess that is a good sign. I have never seen him this weak though. He struggled to get a bottle of water out of the fridge! His Dr. told him that if his fractured vertebre had moved 1mm more, he would've been paralyzed from the waist down for life. So he was still very luck considering. Our insurance co. seteled on the car today and he got about $500 more then what he was asking which would make $1000 over blue book, so I guess that will help recovery with a fatty check in his wallet. But he is still a mess! After hearing the story a couple times now, I can't help but ride my brakes though every intersection. It makes me sick knowing what could've happened, but happy that he eventually walked away from this one! Thanks to everyone for the kind words. If I can, I'll post some pics of his car when I get em....

Yooformula
08-07-2004, 02:30 AM
I just read this now but damm! Sorry to hear that about pops! Glad he is relatively ok. Sounds like some contusions from the belts, I wouldnt worry they will heal. Glad he is ok!

I left work around 4:30am last night and some guy blew light right as I was in the middle of it while I was at 45mph. For some reason I just had this feeling something wasnt right and as I looked to my right I slammed on the breaks with a EMT truck behind me. We both made the stop as the c@cksucker took the dead bugs off my front bumper. I will be riding my breaks more often through intersections now!

Scales
08-07-2004, 02:37 AM
I hear ya man. I always wore my seatbelt in my winter beater due to the annoying faulty dinger that goes off whenever it wants to, but I know I will be wearing it in my Camaro too from now on!!!

Scales
08-07-2004, 02:38 AM
I Sorry to hear that about pops!

Thanx. How is you Dad doin now?