PDA

View Full Version : 1 stage vs 2 stage snowthrowers

whistlin six
02-02-2011, 09:04 PM
I used both today, starting with the 2 stage. Struggled through most of it having to make 3-4 passes before finally getting down to the asphalt.
Granted it's an older Craftsman 5hp, I know there are better stronger models out there that would have done much better.

After a break I decided to give the single stage a shot, and I tell you that little pos was fearless. It ate through the drifts with ease, and was much lighter and easier to handle. Like a power shovel.

I'm pretty sure when it comes time to get a new thrower, I'm going to go with a big cc single stage. My neighbor has one that sounds like it has a snowmobile engine and muscles through everything.

What do you all think?

DynoTom
02-02-2011, 09:08 PM
I LOVE my new TORO 221 QE ! That little fugger eats through a TON of snow !

I like the single stage ones as you can really move them around easy.

FYI , the salesman at the place I got mine from said this is the last year for the 2 stroke engines on snowblowers. I would HIGHLY suggest a TORO single stage blower like mine. 221 QE = " 2 " stroke , " 21 " inch path , " Quick" Chute Control , " Electric" Starter.

awsomeears
02-02-2011, 09:19 PM
^ those Toro's are awesome ^ CCR series are stout !!!

DirtyMax
02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
I LOVE my new TORO 221 QE ! That little fugger eats through a TON of snow !

I like the single stage ones as you can really move them around easy.

FYI , the salesman at the place I got mine from said this is the last year for the 2 stroke engines on snowblowers. I would HIGHLY suggest a TORO single stage blower like mine. 221 QE = " 2 " stroke , " 21 " inch path , " Quick" Chute Control , " Electric" Starter.

x2!!

I have this same model and it's a frickin trooper!! I had to knock down the drifts so the snow fit in the mouth but I ran it for 3 hours straight and it never missed a beat!!

stenchmiester
02-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Ill tell you from experience the 421q. Will not have the torque that's the 221q will produce and the 221 is a 6 hp 2 stroke as the 421 is onyl a 4hp s stroke. And the 2011 machines are still available in 2 stroke I have 4 left at work for a good price

whistlin six
02-02-2011, 09:44 PM
^ those Toro's are awesome ^ CCR series are stout !!!

CCR, that's what the neighbor has. A stout machine for sure.

Ricky Bobby
02-02-2011, 09:46 PM
eh my 2 stage made quick work of my driveway, it was given to me brand new for free so i cant complain :thumbsup

GTSLOW
02-02-2011, 11:04 PM
eh my 2 stage made quick work of my driveway, it was given to me brand new for free so i cant complain :thumbsup

Well share the love, when can I come pick it up? :goof

Mudd Runner
02-03-2011, 06:13 AM

That's because your driveway is like 10' long.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Karps TA
02-03-2011, 07:47 AM
My Toro CCR dominated the snow yesterday. Even the stuff that was a foot or more above it. Plus it's so much easier to manuver. When this one dies, I'll buy another one without hesitation.

jbiscuit
02-03-2011, 08:13 AM
25 year old 5.5hp Craftsman 2-stage FTW. Got me out and made the trek down to Sturtevant which is truly Snowmageddon and got my sister out too. Worked like a champ. Throws this light snow easily 50-60 feet

Prince Valiant
02-03-2011, 09:33 AM
My Ariens (with a briggs) two stage had no probs w/ the snow the other day...I even snowblow the backyard for the pooches without too much trouble.

I WOULD like to have a smaller single stage for some of the smaller snow falls we get, and to kind of clean up what the big blower doesn't get/and smaller areas around the house.

But I could not imagine a single stage tackling the windrows that the plows leave in our driveway.

FoxStang
02-03-2011, 11:20 AM
25 year old 5.5hp Craftsman 2-stage FTW. Got me out and made the trek down to Sturtevant which is truly Snowmageddon and got my sister out too. Worked like a champ. Throws this light snow easily 50-60 feet

That seems physically impossible, with light snow that is.

Cryptic
02-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Honda HS520AS 160cc 4stroke is a beast! It's my backup for when the plow or truck is down. (like it is now)

Single stage is also still light enough to lift into the back of a pickup to take to a jobsite... otherwise you better ramp up your 2 stage.

The paddles do a better job of scrapping the ground. Cleans better IMO.

I'd say I get an honest 30ft of snow throwing no matter what the conditions.

windrows from city plows need to be tackled by slicing parallel with the windrow. Not straight on.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5Bdw0bCKJkE/TUnDUTf_PjI/AAAAAAAABa4/Bx3ryOBmV9A/s640/IMG_0427.JPG

Holeshot
02-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I lug my two stage to my parents all the time. 24 in cut in the back of my Grand Am. Ask Memphis I do it all the time. Its hilarious to see that thing on the back

wrath
02-03-2011, 06:46 PM
I have a couple antiques. I like older two stage blowers. No safety features. It will stall before anything will bend or break. Can walk next to it so you don't have to worry about snow in the face. I have one for wet snow and one for dry snow. One throws far and the other one will cycle wet concrete.

The only thing nice about small single stage blowers is that when you get angry you can move it around easily.

I plowed with my garden tractor. Took 5 hours.

DynoTom
02-04-2011, 12:30 AM
One place that a single stage REALLY shines is throwing wet snow.....I have yet to see a dual stage blower throw even kinda wet heavy snow without clogging up....My Toro will toss wet shushy snow just as easy as the dry fluffy stuff....

HP ADDICT
02-04-2011, 02:39 AM
My 2 stage is a beast! 24" clearing somthing like 13.5ftlbs briggs motor it just eats everything you throw at it. I have to be careful to not recover the neighbors sidewalk across the street.

Car Guy
02-04-2011, 02:44 AM
The only advantage I see with a two stage is 'processing'/throwing very hard snow or ice chunks, every other area the single stage wins. HOWEVER, maintenance and the chance of breaking parts is higher with a single stage.....

One place that a single stage REALLY shines is throwing wet snow.....I have yet to see a dual stage blower throw even kinda wet heavy snow without clogging up....My Toro will toss wet shushy snow just as easy as the dry fluffy stuff....

This is true......