PDA

View Full Version : So who made it to work today?

SSLEVO
02-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Thank god we have the wife's envoy with 4x4 and destination A/Ts, had a lot of fun bombing snow drifts on the way to work. The wife was not as impressed :thumbsup

03Seville
02-02-2011, 08:13 AM
I did, but then they called me as i was pulling in and told me they're delaying our start time to noon.

Josepy
02-02-2011, 08:17 AM
I did. Roads were clear.

noeggs4u
02-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Still home

Silver86
02-02-2011, 08:38 AM
i did... had no problems getting to work... not sure what everyone is worried about. LOL

indyzmike
02-02-2011, 09:09 AM
If my Suburban was 4x4 I would have gone. Ground clearance FTW today.

stealthy1ss
02-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I made it to work driving through 4-5ft drifts only to find out that nobody else was there. Turned around and went home.

TURTLE
02-02-2011, 09:52 AM
couldn't make it out the garage... the drift was taller than the car.... lmao

lordairgtar
02-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Was told yesterday that work would be closed. Daughter-in-law's boss demanded she open up the Arby's in Muskego. Boss actually told her to walk there. Yeah right...that's gonna happen.

Ricky Bobby
02-02-2011, 09:57 AM
was gonna go but got a call that dont need to go till noon :rolf

Neal Steffek
02-02-2011, 09:58 AM
I did. Roads were clear.

exactly. Roads are just fine. If you cant get to work on time it is your own fault. Just saying.

Anakonda69
02-02-2011, 10:00 AM
my truck is snow forted in my driveway. i did not go in. got snow up to the window sills on my house. no need for me to go that bad. guess my boss will be doing my supervisor job today. oh well.

lordairgtar
02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Roads aren't fine in my area. I think Janesville road is passable (I see cars going by) but getting to Janesville road is another thing all together.

Anakonda69
02-02-2011, 10:05 AM
i haven't seen or heard a plow all night. there is about 2 feet of snow on my street. it's level with my yard.

team beater
02-02-2011, 10:07 AM
exactly. Roads are just fine. If you cant get to work on time it is your own fault. Just saying.
X2 unbury your car and get moving, my work closed today but I have been out playing since about 7

Josepy
02-02-2011, 10:10 AM

I should of added up here in West Bend. Roads are pretty much clear.

pnad
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Today is one of the few times I regret being able to work from home. No snow days for me.

Car Guy
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
I did. Roads were clear.

I should of added up here in West Bend. Roads are pretty much clear.

03Seville
02-02-2011, 10:15 AM
was gonna go but got a call that dont need to go till noon :rolf

:flipoff2:

jamestown478
02-02-2011, 10:30 AM
my snowshoes handled this shit like a champ

xxtremeteam
02-02-2011, 10:47 AM
I made it here my fusion is a tank in snow, free lunch just for making it here

Mr Twigbert
02-02-2011, 10:51 AM
I just spend 2 1/2 hours clearing snow from mine, Lit666's and a neighbors driver way..

Now I have my partner coming to pick me up in a department plow truck and I'm gonna go plow for the duration of my shift..

Bart H
02-02-2011, 11:05 AM
I made it in so that means Pegasus is open!

WhatsADSM
02-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Roads really aren't too bad. A little slick but not bad.

Rocket Power
02-02-2011, 11:18 AM
It was worse when I went in at midnight than when I came home at 8:30am.

But I needed a heavy foot and 4wd to get in my driveway this morning:goof

EvolvedRegal
02-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Got the call at 3:45am not to come in.

Got my driveway and 2 older neighbors drive done.

lilws6
02-02-2011, 11:37 AM
i was plaowing and snowblowing and shoveling since 8 this morning got done about 30 min. ago. i'm not scheduled until 2 so i lucked out. but as soon as i take a nap now i'll be off to work

WickedSix
02-02-2011, 12:04 PM
waukesha county to winnebago county without any drama...worst part was backing out the driveway thru a 4' drift.... drifting on open stretches of 41 is pretty bad...but since barely anyone was on the road it was fun sending plumes of snow into the air hitting them... in the 70 miles i drive to work saw at least 20 cars in the ditch...most looked to be from last night as the blinkers were slowly blinking and the windows were iced over... gonna be a busy day for extractions

-stew-
02-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I had to put my truck in low range to get the one block out of my neighborhood. And even then it was a chore. But that was at 2:00AM. Tok almost an hour to get to work, normally takes about 12 minutes. Mains were bad, but with 4wd and good tires they were passable.

SSLEVO
02-02-2011, 12:17 PM
I drove from west bend to grafton this morning, county highways were plowed but there was a lot of drifting from the farm fields. The westbound lane was completly drifted over on a few stretches on NN. Even around town going through plow crossings and stuff 4x4 was deffinately required.

BoosTT
02-02-2011, 12:21 PM
The 1/2 ton plow couldn't clear my apt parking lot... they didn't send in the 3/4 ton till noon.

SSLEVO
02-02-2011, 12:26 PM
The 1/2 ton plow couldn't clear my apt parking lot... they didn't send in the 3/4 ton till noon.

My old appartment was like that, either that or they didn't even come around to plow untill noon. A few years back i had a 3' drift in front of the garage door. I had my evo with snow tires backed in so i literally launched it out of my garage, made it just fine, LOL

Exitspeed
02-02-2011, 12:27 PM
The snow plow didn't plow my condo drive and there was no way my little ass Corolla was going to get through that snow. The road I live on wasn't plowed either. i saw a F-250 driving down the street and the snow was up to the body of the truck. Which means it would have been passed the bumpers on my cars.

IMO it wasn't worth even trying to get stuck, end up in a ditch, etc etc. I called in.

Reverend Cooper
02-02-2011, 01:10 PM
i didnt we were closed

Prince Valiant
02-02-2011, 01:20 PM
exactly. Roads are just fine. If you cant get to work on time it is your own fault. Just saying.It should be pointed out that not every neighborhood is cleared...while the wrangler is a champ in this stuff, a lot of my neighbors stand no chance of making it out to the cleared streets until the plows come by....

saw a dump truck working the 'hood though, so it shouldn't be too long. Wife had fun driving the jeep through the neighborhood....

DoubleAron
02-02-2011, 01:23 PM
I cannot believe the number of businesses that are closed.
It is winter time in WI!!!

Wake up a little early and shovel your drive, leave a little early for work and take your time.

Wow is all I can say!

Silver86
02-02-2011, 01:25 PM

Wake up a little early and shovel your drive, leave a little early for work and take your time.

Wow is all I can say!

i couldnt agree more.

0TransAm0
02-02-2011, 01:33 PM

Wow is all I can say!

Yea because everybody can drive through 2feet + of snow to get to work.. might not be as bad to the north but im in franksville and it took me 6 1/2 hours to clear my drivway. Had at the least 4 foot drifts and in some spots taller than me and im 6.2 .... This is the first time i saw a convoy of plows. They had 4 spanning across the road getting it done in 1 pass..they didn't go past my house till about 20 min ago..

MoCkiN U
02-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Oh yeah that makes complete sense. The freakin state is saying stay home because its not safe and many are already stuck and cant get to them so lets drive in this and get stuck or maybe all of these people should just take that front wheel drive family car across 20"+ of snow to get to that work place which wont survive without them.

Took our leaders till noon to decide not to open up cause it wasnt safe. WTF were they thinking? Did they live out west where they got 3 to 8" which we are used to here???? They surely didnt come out to what we did in Racine and Kenosha

They are just now plowing my area of the building and the entrances or exits werent touched so it was a no go to even get 5ft after digging it out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/ShoUrGlow/IMAG0176.jpg

Exitspeed
02-02-2011, 01:42 PM

Wow is all I can say!

And I'm supposed to go shovel my entire condo complex driveway so I can get out to the road that wasn't plowed at all, to get stuck there?

When I was at my house, sure I would get up early and snow blow the driveway and I'd be good. But it's a little different when you are in a condo.

Just saying it's not so black and white.

If I owned a business I'd want my employees to stay home instead of risking it. It doesn't sound like anyone got hurt but it's certainly possible. Or they people that are in the ditch. They have to pay to get their shit towed and then possibly any damage. It's just not worth it to me. I can't think of many places that really HAVE to be open.

MoCkiN U
02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Yeah I guess he wasnt thinking on that one. I had to be at the store at 7am and I was up at 4:40am to start figuring out a plan so I could be there. Didnt take very long to dig to the car and get to it but was no way it was moving anywhere with all the drifts AND washington and greenbay werent even plowed at all.

flyin_blue_egg
02-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Drove the wife to work in Cudahy at around 10A and for some reason MPD had EB layton closed at howell.

Z33Art
02-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Stayed home today and worked from home for a bit. Didn't feel like driving from Franklin to Racine in this crap.

flyin_blue_egg
02-02-2011, 02:58 PM
And I'm supposed to go shovel my entire condo complex driveway so I can get out to the road that wasn't plowed at all, to get stuck there?

When I was at my house, sure I would get up early and snow blow the driveway and I'd be good. But it's a little different when you are in a condo.

Just saying it's not so black and white.

If I owned a business I'd want my employees to stay home instead of risking it. It doesn't sound like anyone got hurt but it's certainly possible. Or they people that are in the ditch. They have to pay to get their shit towed and then possibly any damage. It's just not worth it to me. I can't think of many places that really HAVE to be open.

What about those in the police/fire/medical fields??

Lash
02-02-2011, 03:06 PM

People were picked up by other workers or city employees driving plows or 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Prince Valiant
02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
it's not terribly uncommon in a weather emergency to keep the employee's who are in there as a hedge for those who cannot make it in...ordering them to work double shifts/sometimes more...don't they ever do that at the county jail?

lordairgtar
02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Plows didn't come to the apartment until about 12:30. Everyone came out and hustled cars to let the three plow trucks work. We all stood in the hallway eating fresh baked cookies and just socializing with the tenants. City didn't plow Cornell circle until about 1:30. Durham road had a muskego PD squad parked at Moorland not letting anyone in or out. I don't know why they'd do that. The subdivision on the other side of Moorland has not seen a plow at all yet. Plus no mail delivery. Whatever happened to "neither sleet nor snow nor gloom of night...."?

Lash
02-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I love all the comments about how the roads were "fine"....lol. I wonder if the drivers of the 100's of cars that are still in ditches still think the same thing. You want to be a big manly man and risk it.... heres a cookie. Remember that when the wrecker is pulling you out of the ditch next time.
It took me 3x longer to plow my drive than it normally does. I took a little spin up the road and there was easily 18" covering the entire road where it wasn't drifted higher. There is no way you would have made it through with anything but 4 wheel drive and ground clearance, and even then it was sketchy. Plows didn't come through until 12 noon. You want to drive in it....fine. But don't start bitching about how people aren't coming into work or are coming in late just because YOUR drive was "fine".

Exitspeed
02-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Those were some of the ones I could think of.

I love all the comments about how the roads were "fine"....lol. I wonder if the drivers of the 100's of cars that are still in ditches still think the same thing. You want to be a big manly man and risk it.... heres a cookie. Remember that when the wrecker is pulling you out of the ditch next time.
It took me 3x longer to plow my drive than it normally does. I took a little spin up the road and there was easily 18" covering the entire road where it wasn't drifted higher. There is no way you would have made it through with anything but 4 wheel drive andnground clearance. Plows didn't come through until 12 noon. You want to drive in it....fine. But don't start bitching about how people aren't coming into work or are coming in late just because YOUR drive was "fine".

Amen brother.

Yooformula
02-02-2011, 03:29 PM
man some of you guys are amazing. just because roads were cleared by YOU doesnt mean they all are. None of my neighborhood was cleared until like12pm today so up until then it was almost 2' of standing snow and even after the plows made 1 NARROW pass blocking EVERY intersection there were cars stuck all over the place. My truck had no issue and I only had to go into low4 once but it would be reckless imo to be driving out there early this morning with anything other than a 4x4. I counted 12 stranded cars just from bradley to hampton and out here, alot of hwy ramps were closed because of stuck cars from last night or this morning keeping the plows from getting to them. main hwys may be driveable but secondary roads still looked like crap for awhile. Now I can see the roads being better later in the day and tonight but driving this morning imo should have been avoided. Not like WI has this great road clearing system..

with all due respect, that is their job! they are the ones that should be getting there no matter what and have the means to do so otherwise you dont go into the PUBLIC SERVICE/SAFETY FIELD.

MoCkiN U
02-02-2011, 03:29 PM
I wonder what happened down in chicago when people decided to not head the warnings and push their luck?

Wonder how they got that mess cleared up and on lake shore drive none the less

This image is apocalyptic if you ask me

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss-110201-winter-storm/ss-110202-winter-storm-mw15.grid-8x2.jpg

Yooformula
02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
/\ damm!

johnny--2k
02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Honestly, I dont think people are bitching so much about the roads but the fact that most normal people in their sane right minds would rather not be out anyways, so why be open. I work at a bank and we are open today, late start at noon, I am here for just a few more minutes but the branch is still open till 6. I think it's ridiculous because there has been no one here save for maybe 10 people in 4 hours....it's slow as hell and a waste of money for the majority of these businesses to be open.

That's just my opinion on the complaints that are coming from most people, not the roads. They were not bad, but definitely still slick and snow covered my whole drive from waukesha to butler.

Cleveland Dave
02-02-2011, 04:08 PM
i emailed in at about midnight. i didnt feel like answering helpdesk calls from people all day at home with there shitty loaner laptops and there shitty internet connections. not to mention it took about 2 hours to get the driveway cleared. and i have a 2wd truck rather not risk having to pay a deductible just to make it into work today.

Yeehaw
02-02-2011, 04:08 PM
oh heck yea, was there ten to 6 this morning

Karps TA
02-02-2011, 04:14 PM
If there's one thing that this State's govt actually does well, it's cleaning out from snow storms. I'm ALWAYS shocked and amazed at how quickly they get roads cleared and back up and running. I went out to snowblow my driveway around 8:30, by 9am the plow guy came thru which was nice so I didn't need to go out there and do it again. Heck by 12:30 I was at the gym like it was any other day, and the roads were great. Was pretty shocking seeing how high all the snow banks were. So happy to drive a 4WD truck just to see over the snow banks.

Yooformula
02-02-2011, 04:23 PM
/\ when I lived in Minnesota, they would have roads scraped clean faster than anywhere I had ever lived and not just lay salt or sand down but actually clean.

Al
02-02-2011, 04:56 PM
No class today. I really wish they did not cancel it because I enjoy the program so much.

Exitspeed
02-02-2011, 05:03 PM
I wonder what happened down in chicago when people decided to not head the warnings and push their luck?

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss-110201-winter-storm/ss-110202-winter-storm-mw15.grid-8x2.jpg

He a brand new Explorer.

TheRX7Project
02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Coming home from Sussex, roads were fine... UNTIL I got stuck, half a block from my house. Called in for tonight.

MoCkiN U
02-02-2011, 05:26 PM
If there's one thing that this State's govt actually does well, it's cleaning out from snow storms. I'm ALWAYS shocked and amazed at how quickly they get roads cleared and back up and running. I went out to snowblow my driveway around 8:30, by 9am the plow guy came thru which was nice so I didn't need to go out there and do it again. Heck by 12:30 I was at the gym like it was any other day, and the roads were great. Was pretty shocking seeing how high all the snow banks were. So happy to drive a 4WD truck just to see over the snow banks.

Im with you. Higher ups never made the call to actually close. We just couldnt get there so we could open. They are still to this minute trying to get people there to open it till 9pm. Just greed and its going to cost more than they make by a TON!

flyin_blue_egg
02-02-2011, 05:41 PM
it's not terribly uncommon in a weather emergency to keep the employee's who are in there as a hedge for those who cannot make it in...ordering them to work double shifts/sometimes more...don't they ever do that at the county jail?

Actually yes they do. I had to work at the jail last night and almost got kept over. The only reason I didn't was b/c all the deputies that were to work in the courts today (they were closed) were either sent to the jail or out on the streets last night.

flyin_blue_egg
02-02-2011, 05:42 PM
People were picked up by other workers or city employees driving plows or 4 wheel drive vehicles.

I wish someone from the hospital my wife works at would've came and picked her up.

Dr.Buick
02-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Out plowing my drive way by 6:30 at work by 7:30 Fixing coops pos by 10:30 had a full day of work, roads were ok in slinger this morning. Wife was off all day

flyin_blue_egg
02-02-2011, 05:46 PM
with all due respect, that is their job! they are the ones that should be getting there no matter what and have the means to do so otherwise you dont go into the PUBLIC SERVICE/SAFETY FIELD.

I wasn't saying they shouldn't be expected to be at work due to their fields...just the fact that not EVERYTHING was closed today.

Arigmaster
02-02-2011, 06:06 PM
I didn't have any trouble at all. In fact. I got there quicker than normal because there was no traffic and the freeways were clear. Worst part for me was getting out of my street on to Greenfield Ave. Had so much fun going through the plow drifts I almost circled around to do it again for the hell of it.

SSLEVO
02-02-2011, 06:07 PM
We had maybe 1/4 of the office staff show up, even less production workers. The funny thing is HR posted a note yesterday saying we all live in WI and it snows, its up to you if you want to come to work but they won't close down. Not a single one of them came in today so the phone was ringing off the hook.

FoxStang
02-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Picked the gf up from work dt today and had to take side streets because LSD was still closed when I was driving back around 4 or so. Police had all entrances blocked off, only vehicles allowed on were tow trucks, they much have made a killing today.

Almost got stuck on a side street earlier when a couple of dumbass kids jumped out on the road ahead, I had to stop thus halting my progress on a snowed over street. Had to go 4low and inch it out to get it moving again, pissed me off.

Lash
02-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Listening to the Kenosha Fire and Police channel on the scanner right now. Sounds like it's still messed up there....lol. Every other call is for a stuck vehicle. A lot of the cops are saying they can't get to the stuck vehicles so they're just going to have to sit tight until they can. A lot of calls for plows to lead the way for paramedics too.

One officer was sent to a complaint because somebodies neighbor was swearing loudly outside while trying to dig his car out...lol.

moels
02-02-2011, 06:52 PM
I woke the neighbors with my snoblower at 3:45 this morning. Saw a light pop on and thought " fuck you, I need to get to work." lol

Once I got the drift in the driveway taken care of I made it to the main street and had pretty clear sailing all the way to work. Visibility was a bitch with the blowing snow though.

I don't blame people in the country or real bad area for either being late or missing. Everyone's situation is different. I do however despise the people who take advantage of the snowfall and take off when they could have easily made it. JMO

pOrk
02-02-2011, 07:33 PM
We had 2 ft of snow on the road in front of the house and drifts in excess of 4-5 ft, no way in hell could I have made it out of my neighborhood in a friggen scion xb. Not only that, but why risk a 500 deductible and higher insurance premiums over missing one day of work? I called in a vacation day, not worth risking getting into an accident.

1320PNY
02-02-2011, 08:11 PM
If the kids stay home, I give my employee(s) the day off whenever they have drama. I usually find that positive morale on the days we are in the office outweighs being a jerk about attendance. We work a lot of weekends and long days when the going is good. Today, I had about 400 yards of 3' plus snow to clear before I could hit a surface street, which wasn't plowed until 10:30 AM.

Plus, there was NO Semi traffic out of the State today, so had I been there, no orders would have shipped out. Three guys went in, and then called me at noon to say they were leaving.

So why would you fight to be there at 8AM just to leave at noon? That's more messed up than not going.

Yeehaw
02-02-2011, 09:02 PM
FWIW i did see a smart car on grandview at 5:40 this morning haha

jamestown478
02-02-2011, 09:56 PM
FWIW i did see a smart car on grandview at 5:40 this morning haha

I seen a hello kitty one hauling ass down bluemound today at like 8am lol.

-stew-
02-03-2011, 06:46 AM
I think Lash hit the nail on the head. I didn't see how bad the shit I was driving through at 2am was until 5:30 pm. And even by then no plows had been down my street. And no cars eather, only foot prints in the snow. I tried to be a pioneer and drive down the street. Snow was headlight deep and I made it two truck lengths in before I was stopped making forward progress. Had to work to back out of it. If I was with or knew some one near with a full size 4x4 I'd have tried again.

Memphis
02-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Oak Creek/Racine area roaads were terrible....even late in the day. Hwy 32 had one lane...for BOTH direction of travel so if you met someone from the other way, someone was pretty much screwed. Cars buried in the middle of the lanes, plow trucks in ditches. I actually had to drop the plow just to get through some of the side streets or I would have been buried too. My buddies street was impassible unless you had a 4x4 with alot of ground clearance and they didnt plow that until 7 last night. So yeah, I can totally see why alot of people didnt/couldnt go in. I plowed for 15 hours yesterday, took three times longer than normal because of the drifts and the heavy snow. Besides that, even if you force the employees to come in, how many customers are you going to have come in for anything?

flyin_blue_egg
02-03-2011, 11:49 AM
I was listening to the radio for a while and heard that the I94 corridor in rac/ken counties was closed til bout 3 or 4 pm. Same for the I43 corridor in walworth county.

cheap80Z28
02-03-2011, 10:58 PM
I work at the downtown PO and after working 12 hours they sent us home, took a girl home that had planned to spend the night in her car in our parking lot. Plannedd means pillow, blanket, clean clothes, meds, toothpast and brush deoderant, body splash. Took me all night to convince her it was a bad idea. drove to south side milw, greenfield, dropped her off. Then to the far northside without a problem, till I got home and couldnt get in my driveway even.worked with it untill I got it off the street, blocking the sidewalk at 330 am wed.. Drifts over the height of the jeep. left it there till the morning and worked the snow just wide enought to get to the garage in time to get to work wed afternooon.