PDA

View Full Version : Accident advice

SSLEVO
02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I was riding in a friends truck on friday and it lost control on some ice and rolled. Our sleds were on the trailer and my sled broke the windshield and i later found out it cut the track when the trailer landed on it since it ripped apart in 1/2 mile.

I was ok at the time and didn't go to a doctor, not a scratch on me. (I know, probably a bad idea) My shoulder is killing me now (right one, probably from the seat belt) and i think i'm going to go to the doctor.

I talked to his insurance agent for 2 min, gave them my info and she asked if i was ok, i said i was ok but had a bump on my head. Didn't sign anything and she didn't say she was recording me. Hopefully i didn't screw myself there, lol

Should i call up the bcm lawyer? I don't want to screw my friend but i want my sled fixed and depending if my shoulder is jacked up that fixed too.

Holeshot
02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Yes call the lawyer !

Mr Twigbert
02-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I have never had problems when involed in an accident.. Don't know why everyone screams, "CALL A LAWYER! ! !"..

I don't think his multi million dollar insurance is going to got to trial over your $400 sled repair and your $600 doctors visit (your probably just bumped and bruised)..

Last time I was rear ended the other persons insurance came out the next day to look at my vehicle and that VERY next day I had a check for $1,400.. I was happy with it and by cashing it they are no longer liable.. They couldn't give me the money fast enough to get it taken care of..

Moparjim
02-01-2011, 01:21 PM
You shouldnt have a problem as long as you didnt sign anything. It is VERY common to experience pain/problems the day after. Like was said, you shouldnt need a lawyer even. Call the insurance agent, tell him what you just posted, and they should agree to cover your doctor's visit and damages. Either way sounds like you buddy is going to a) have a claim and b) pay his deductible anyways so it shouldn't be any extra "damage" to him for you to get your stuff covered.

If you are reasonable, end up with a doctors visit, some xrays or whatever to make sure you dont have anything major wrong, maybe some pain meds, plus your sled damage, the insurance company should be HAPPY to write you a check to cover that and then have you sign off on it.

If they give you any hassle or do not agree to cover your basic simple stuff, THEN I would call a lawyer. As long as you dont sign anything waiving further claims, you can still hire a lawer later. In the interest of not contributing to our litigation happy society I would definitely try to handle it a) free, b) on my own, and c) hassle free first. Once a lawyer gets involved he will want to try to get MONEY so he will want to try to get money for damages, his fees, etc. as well. The upside is that you might get some money for your hassle but it will still be a hassle mostly of his making lol, but the downside is that it might take months to reach a settlement as well.

Feature Pony
02-01-2011, 02:00 PM
yeah you dont need a lawyer, you should be able to get your sled fix and comped for the doctors visit. They pay 3x what the doctors visit cost, so you shouldn't need a lawyer to take your money.

SSLEVO
02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, i just want my stuff fixed, not looking for a 50k payout. Although if there is anything major wrong we'll see what happens, lol

SSLEVO
02-01-2011, 07:11 PM
They are cool with the medical bills, nothing was broken, just really sore.

However, they will not cover the sled or his trailer because it was "under his control" or something like that. Sounds kind of fishy really. So now it's up to me to get $500 out of my friend for a new windshield and track and put it on myself. Not to mention driving back up to Menomonie,Wi to pick the dang thing up.

I argued it was property damage but they said it doesn't count because he was at fault and under control, aka crashed his own stuff. Well if that's the case why do they even cover the truck, lol. This is all through American Family btw

Holeshot
02-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Thats crap ! His insurance should cover trailer and content.

Rocket Power
02-01-2011, 07:40 PM
He wrecked your stuff so they should pay for it. Like if he had hit you in your car. Seems like common sense so that's probably not how it works with insurance companies:goof

brotherbenn83
02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
One call, that's ALL! 276-6666

lordairgtar
02-03-2011, 03:01 PM
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Looks like you need a lawyer now.

SSLEVO
02-03-2011, 03:18 PM
My friend said he would pay for the damage, but it just seems shady with the insurance company. How would the laywer get paid if he got my sled fixed? lol

pOrk
02-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Unless he is paying for additional coverage, the stuff on the trailer isn't covered. His trailer might be covered, but I remember I had to pay huge money to insure toys on the trailer when hauling back and fourth to bike week and doing auto transports.

WickedSix
02-03-2011, 03:54 PM
my policy states anything in the bed that is my property or on a trailer im towing or under another insurance policy isn't covered (progressive ins). But since it wasn't his property and he wasn't doing it for hire i'd think it should be covered. Seems like they are pulling a fast one. The 'for hire' part of things does add quite a bit to insurance premiums.

MurphysLaw88GT
02-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Read the policy. You will find your answers there as to what will and will not be covered...