PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Nissan Maxima SE

Feature Pony
01-31-2011, 05:20 PM
my wife is looking at getting rid of her Jeep liberty and is looking at a 07 nissan maxima. The car is fully loaded with 24,000 miles. What things should we look for for problems? Any issues or problems with these cars? I know some honda stuff and that is about it as far as imports go. We would probably drive this car till about 125,000 miles so looking for any good info would help. Thanks

Exitspeed
01-31-2011, 05:22 PM
The VQ engine is a fabulous engine. Up until like 08 it was the only engine to be on Ward's top 10 engines since it's inception.

I don't know any specif issues.

Yooformula
01-31-2011, 05:46 PM
I love those cars for some reason and have owned a total of 4 of them and never had an issue with them.

spooln30
01-31-2011, 05:51 PM
Good engine and nice power.

Don't the newer ones come in AWD or just the G35 X?

Prince Valiant
01-31-2011, 06:04 PM
I like the 07's...available with the CVT, it might seem different to you. If I was looking at performance, a CVT though quick might get annoying. But driving it around town I've always liked how they perform in most situations.

Don't the newer ones come in AWD or just the G35 X?Completely different platforms. One's FWDbased the other is RWD based.

FoxStang
01-31-2011, 07:17 PM
I like the 07's...available with the CVT, it might seem different to you. If I was looking at performance, a CVT though quick might get annoying. But driving it around town I've always liked how they perform in most situations.

Except when you have to merge and it sucks the life out of your engine.

Good engine and nice power.

And yes, like Prince said, two different platforms. Maxima is FFL (FWD only) and V35's and V36's are FM, along with the z33 and z34 for common reference.

Karps TA
01-31-2011, 07:21 PM
I would skip the CVT myself as well. I think they are awful and belong only on lawn mowers. Test drove both Maxima's and Altima's with it and took every single ounce of fun out of the car. Drove an Altima then with a manual, and it was like a whole different car.

Exitspeed
02-01-2011, 08:45 AM

Completely different platforms. One's FWDbased the other is RWD based.

And no, they don't offer them in AWD.

Nissan has really lost their way with the the last two generations of Maximas. The current one is a better then the previous as it's smaller, lighter, and more powerful, but it really doesn't live up to it's 4-door sports car spirit. It's weird because for the price of a nicely equipped Maxima you can get an AWD G37 or a RWD G37 which even in lower trim levels is a far superior car. I don't know who would buy the Maxma. I guess people that didn't do their research. The Maxima is even more confusing in the Nissan line-up with the Altima being as good as it is. Sure, the Maxima is a nicer vehicle inside and has more style outside but it's not enough to distinguish itself.

Feature Pony
02-01-2011, 11:01 AM
This car has the CVT tranny, should I stay away?? Is there a lot of problems with it?

Exitspeed
02-01-2011, 11:19 AM
I personally like the CVT's. I've driven the Murano with it and I liked the characteristics. With that said, they have had some issues with the dependability, but they have extended the warranties in them. I however wouldn't hesitate buying one personally. I'm will be looking at purchasing a Murano soon actually.

http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2

Nissan has extended the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty for the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) to 10 years/120,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for CVT transmission repairs, replacement, and related towing on all 2003-2010 model year Nissan vehicles equipped with the CVT. The remainder of the powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the CVT transmission remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply.
Please note that this is not a safety recall, and there are no safety issues relating to your Continuously Variable Transmission.
For more information on the CVT warranty extension please read the information under "CVT Program Details."