PDA

View Full Version : carburator questions

LEWETHETIGER73
01-29-2011, 07:44 AM
So I have this issue with trying to find a choke tube for my car and it resulted into rethinking the whole car in general. I have a stock 455 with an edelbrock intake and a quadrajet. The choke tube from the stock set up don't fit so I would have to custom make one. Then I hear people telling me to go to electric choke and others telling me a different carb. The motor is stock right now with a possible rebuild in a couple years. I am looking for opinions on carbs and chokes. Thanks

hotshift13
01-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Id go with a holley 650, electric choke, vac secondarys. It would be a simple bolt on since you already have an intake for it. A 650 would probably give you some decent gas mileage. The Quadrajet was a good carb for their time, but it's probably worn out. You could even put on a 750, I think thats what the quadrajet's cfm is? Now this is just my opinion.....

Rocket Power
01-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Electric choke for a qjet is an easy swap. Pull one off an 80s qjet car and run the wire to a switched power source. All you need is the plastic cover with the coil attached and plug the vac portsthat you no longer need

madmike
01-31-2011, 10:34 PM
I sell restored cars on MECUM. So here is the deal from my view. I would do like the others advise on here for your self, but keep the old stuff to put back on if you ever want to sell it. Collecters are getting more and more stingy with any mods at all , and they now get into groups and agree not to go over a certain price if something small even is not factory, or NOS replacement.

Mike

LEWETHETIGER73
01-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks for that tip but I plan on being buried in this car :3gears: