PDA

View Full Version : 02 Ford Explorer problems

loud91rs
01-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Ok, so my fiance has an 02 Ford explorer, v6, 4x4. It is giving me problems, and I don't know where to start. Hopefully somebody here can point me in the right direction. Here is what is going on: When cold, if you hit the brakes hard, it dies and will not start for a while. Today, the check engine light/oil light/etc went on, and it wanted to keep dying at stop signs/lights. I know the engine is solid, had oil in it, and even started right up 8 hours later and ran/drove absolutely fine. Any help is appreciated.

OxmanWI
01-28-2011, 02:42 PM
What are the DTCs?

loud91rs
01-28-2011, 02:45 PM
The light is never on after it restarts. Sadly, these problems never happen the few times I drive it.

OxmanWI
01-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Did you plug in a code reader to see if there was a code?

loud91rs
01-28-2011, 03:03 PM
I didn't this specific time, but other times this has happened there was no code to bring up with the code reader.

Waver
01-28-2011, 04:58 PM
I would start by testing the maf as well as checking the vac lines. Sounds to me like you might have a leak if it is dying when you hit the brakes

OxmanWI
01-28-2011, 05:01 PM
You can go to any auto parts store and have codes read for free. I'm sure you already know this but can't really tell you any ting without seeing codes.

Waver
01-28-2011, 05:05 PM
You can go to any auto parts store and have codes read for free. I'm sure you already know this but can't really tell you any ting without seeing codes.

If the check engine light is on then there should be a code stored. Something like what he is talking about, I am willing to bet that there is not a code stored, so that will get him no where fast. Best bet would be to hook up a vac gauge and check to see if there is a leak, as well as having the Maf checked out. Typically, these are the two things that would cause this problem on the v6 explorers, and my bet it is more of a vac issue than a maf issue especially if it happens when the brakes are applied hard.

Depending on the mileage, I would almost say that it is an intake manifold gasket that is starting to fail.