PDA

View Full Version : Challenger Disaster 25 years ago today

Rocket Power
01-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Hard to believe it was that long ago. I remember the announcement over the PA at school and they rolled out TV's to watch at lunch time. Still have a Newsweek and US News and World Report from then

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/28/challenger-disaster-explosio/

AfnvFnzs91s

badass88gt
01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
I remember it well. I saw it live in my 6th grade classroom. Teacher started crying and I was like "WTF?", couple of kids started clapping over the explosion, then they realized people just died in front of our eyes.

Holeshot
01-28-2011, 02:27 PM
My wife and I had just started dating, It was the first tragic bit of news we watched together.

WickedSix
01-28-2011, 03:52 PM
all i can remember was a very special episode of Punky Brewster about it....

Prince Valiant
01-28-2011, 04:07 PM
I was in Gatlinburg Tennessee on the family annual "up north" vacation...was in 6th grade at the time. Walked into a store and everyone was talking about it...wasn't able to watch on TV for a few hours. It took a while before I understood that no one could have lived through that, that there was no special escape pods/etc.

IcePickFreak
01-28-2011, 04:50 PM
I remember this in school as well. I was in 4th grade and we came back to the classroom after art class. We had one of the few TVs in the school in our room on an AV cart for a movie we were watching during class so there were a few teachers along with ours standing in front of it crying. It was just a few minutes after it happened live so they were still playing replays of it and we seen that before the teachers could even say anything.

Yooformula
01-28-2011, 04:50 PM
I remember being home from school and watching the launch on tv then being in shock when I watched it explode live.

PB86MCSS
01-28-2011, 06:24 PM
I remember my mom watching it on TV and showing me, not sure if I was home from school or what, I was only 6 though but it's one of the earlier things I can still remember pretty vividly.

Reverend Cooper
01-28-2011, 07:10 PM
same thing as badass i remember watching in school and they released us early that day too