PDA

View Full Version : carmax?

easytoremember
01-27-2011, 06:57 PM
anyone work at carmax here?

Waver
01-28-2011, 11:11 AM
No but it is like working for Best Buy but selling cars...No one is on comission, you cant negotiate on price, and they undervalue your trade in....I work for Boucher. It is a bet better.

jamestown478
01-28-2011, 03:06 PM
I would never buy a car from or sell a car to carmax. Place is a joke. Salesman there tried telling me that the 2.0t 4 cylinder a4 that they had for sale had a na 2.0l v8 in it...

Red97GTP
01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
No but it is like working for Best Buy but selling cars...No one is on comission, you cant negotiate on price, and they undervalue your trade in....I work for Boucher. It is a bet better.

Which Boucher? I work at Waukesha Nissan.

Waver
01-28-2011, 04:56 PM

Lol, Lincoln, in the dirty stallis. Been there since November.

lordairgtar
01-28-2011, 05:32 PM
I would never buy a car from or sell a car to carmax. Place is a joke. Salesman there tried telling me that the 2.0t 4 cylinder a4 that they had for sale had a na 2.0l v8 in it...
What I find about car sales people is they know how to sell cars, but really know nothing about them.

WI_Dave
01-28-2011, 05:35 PM

My buddy Bill works at Ford on Main st.

wrath
01-28-2011, 05:48 PM
I've sold two cars at the Waukesha Carmax. They offered way more than Boucher Chevrolet in Waukesha, Holz Chevrolet in Hales Corner, Saturn of Waukesha, and Mike Junueau BPGMC in Brookfield.

The only bad part is that they take forever to transfer the title out of your name so keep the bill of sale around.

Car Guy
01-28-2011, 05:53 PM
My experiences are similar to wraths. I could not believe what they offered for vehicles with no chance of selling one on the flipside. They offered more than what I could sell them for on the street. I understand there is a difference between private party and retail pricing but these vehicles were 15-20 years old.....

Larrygto
01-28-2011, 06:08 PM
They offered me 3 grand more than one dealer would this summer, took the offer to another deal and had to negotiate for 2 hours just to get them to match it. I've got a car now I'm looking to sell and I'm going there first.

BoosTT
01-28-2011, 06:13 PM
They offered me $1400 for an mint 03 pt crusier. I sold it a week later for $2900 cash.

All the cars for sale on their lot are bland. Nothing that you cant find elsewhere.

Red97GTP
01-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Lol, Lincoln, in the dirty stallis. Been there since November.

Oh ok, I used to sell over there as well. I still know all the people over there.

I feel like we've had this conversation before though, have we?

Waver
01-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Oh ok, I used to sell over there as well. I still know all the people over there.

I feel like we've had this conversation before though, have we?

Probably. LOL

wrath
01-28-2011, 09:25 PM
They didn't used to always be bland. They had what sold, whether it was a Corolla, an Escalade EXT, a SRT8, a SR10, or a Sky. I'd seen a lot there but I haven't ever bought anything there because their prices are as high as a GM Certified Used... but with no warranty.

One time at the Saturn of Waukesha I was trying to trade a car on a new one. They had a shittier exact same year car with bald tires, grooved brakes, busted-ass interior, and same miles for $4,700 more than they offered me on trade.

Lash
01-28-2011, 09:42 PM
they undervalue your trade in.

They gave me SEVERAL THOUSAND more for my wifes Rav4 than any other dealer in the area. And it wasn't even a trade in (where they might make some of that money back on a sale).... just flat out sold it to them.

Overall.... dealing with carmax was one of the better dealership encounters I've ever had.

03CVLX
01-28-2011, 10:15 PM
took a beat up 99 Blazer in to carmax. It barely ran at the time of the estimate. But needed to get a value for the estate. I had to limp it out of their lot it was so bad. Still offered me 1200 for it...I was pretty much shocked. Only cost me 27 bucks to fix the motor issue but never was able to buy it myself. Ended up getting auctioned with the estate.:(

WI_Dave
01-29-2011, 07:35 AM
Since this thread is hijacked anyway lol

My buddy took a 98 caravan to Carmax a few weeks ago ran and drove fine, no dents or rust, rebuilt motor and trans w/paper work they offered him 200 or 300.

Waver
01-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I am saying that because they offered me a third of trade in on my ranger when I had it.....pissed me off because there was nothing wrong with it

michelle
01-29-2011, 08:48 AM
I am saying that because they offered me a third of trade in on my ranger when I had it.....pissed me off because there was nothing wrong with it

Except for the owner.

:goof

GTSLOW
01-29-2011, 09:00 AM
It probably totally depends on what they need for their lot. If they already have a bunch of pickups and suv's then they are only going to pickup additional ones for dirt cheap. Where as if they didn't have any on the lot they'd pay top dollar.

Prince Valiant
01-29-2011, 09:56 AM
One sister-in-law wanted to buy a car on their lot (mercedes c-somethin' or another) and let them offer a deal for her current car she had planned to sell privately...shocked us, easily paying double what she had anticipated in getting on trade for her olds alero.

Even though she didn't buy the mercedes, she went there and sold her car to them and bought an acura elsewhere.

Other sister in law showed up with a 2003 Malibu that was in good shape and 100,000 miles, and they offered 1,000, lol.

Rocket Power
01-29-2011, 10:49 AM
and they undervalue your trade in...Because that NEVER happens at any other car dealer:rolf

FoxStang
01-29-2011, 01:50 PM
It probably totally depends on what they need for their lot. If they already have a bunch of pickups and suv's then they are only going to pickup additional ones for dirt cheap. Where as if they didn't have any on the lot they'd pay top dollar.

Supply and demand, when your as large and centralized as Carmax, you probably have active pricing schedule's based on what you need.

easytoremember
01-29-2011, 01:59 PM
thinking about going to work for them...

ps their salesman ARE on commission, it's just a fixed amount per car.

VroomPshhTsi
01-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Only had one experience with CarMax and it wasn't good. Went with a friend to test drive a MazdaSpeed6. Clutch failed half way through the test drive and the salesman barely got it back to the lot, lol. They also offered my friend $3,000 for his Camaro (he sold it a month later to a private party for $5,000).

Place doesn't seem too bad, but the one experience I had wasn't good.

jamestown478
01-29-2011, 02:46 PM
I test drove a yellow is300 there 2 years ago that had a faulty gas gauge and it ran out of gas on the freeway lol. Salesman paniced lol.

michelle
01-29-2011, 02:54 PM
thinking about going to work for them...

ps their salesman ARE on commission, it's just a fixed amount per car.

I thought you had a good 100% commission job? :confused

BoosTT
01-29-2011, 04:00 PM

O snap!

Waver
01-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Michelle is just full of wit today.....

GTSLOW
01-29-2011, 04:49 PM

Buuuuuurn!!

Best Christmas present I could of asked for

No.... I didn't take a lot of advice from some people here and settle for car salesman job. Instead I kept my standards and was offered a job as an Account Exec for a business consulting company.

I know someone who worked for a company years ago in a similar position so I know the potential of the pay. It's 100% commission and unlimited bonuses as well. The office has 8 execs as the average compensation is in the 70s, with 4 of them topping 100k.

I was hunting for 6.5 months. I guess it's true what they say, that when looking it typically takes 1 month of searching for every 10k in compensation you seek.

Glad I stuck to my guns.

easytoremember
01-29-2011, 04:55 PM
i do, my assistant got fired, don't like the new one, and now im looking at another 100% commission job. so what's the big deal? people in sales change jobs a lot.

GTSLOW
01-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Whomever added his quote into my post from the other thread...awesome! :rolf

easytoremember
01-29-2011, 05:33 PM
you guys are foolish. I've been in that job for about 5 weeks, made some good money, but I can tell where it's going with them firing my assistant and about 10 others in the office too, so why not go somewhere else? Money isn't everything so i'm going to go do something else that'll make me less $ but i'll be happier.

michelle
01-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Michelle is just full of wit today.....

I'm a bit bitchy this week. :durr

Lash
01-29-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm a bit bitchy this week. :durr

Stay away from bears then.

:wooo