PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a Snowmobile/Cabin getaway ......

awsomeears
01-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Buddy of mine pitched the idea last year and it never happened, this year we all have the $ and vacation time to do it...

What I'm looking for is a 3-4 hour drive up NORTH to a Lodge/Cabin that includes/has snowmobile rentals that are on trails. Something that we can pay xx amount be totally on our own given a map and let her rip.....

Speed is not the goal here just miles of trail riding with local bars & grills to stop at.

I'm 100% clueless how to go about it, I haven't even Googled it yet :thumbsup

Nix
01-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Eagle River :thumbsup

http://www.snowmobileeagleriver.com/

BoosTT
01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
I also looked into this last year... Most snowmobile rentals are really expensive for some 500cc sled... easly $185/day plus another $50/day for gear. And the ass kicker is most offer no kind of insurance. You break it, you buy it. Some offer insurance for an extra $40 a day, but they are rare. All these are weekday rates too!

Anyway, you are looking at easily $400 a day for a sled, gear, gas, oil, and hotel. Concidering there is a ton of sleds on craigslist for less then $1500, renting is just not worth it. You actually might be better off buying one and selling it after within a week or two.

IcePickFreak
01-26-2011, 06:58 PM
I'll check with a buddy who has an uncle up there in Eagle River, it's been awhile but he was renting it out here and there. Has an awesome furnished log cabin back on his property that we went up for this very reason some years back. He actually builds log cabins and even forests his own trees for a living. The river was maybe 50 yards from the back patio door and from there you could get to anywhere.

Again it's been a few years so I'll check and see if he's still doing it. Either way, Eagle River is definitely the place to go. Don't pass up Weasel's if you're up there either. :shades

EDIT: Apparently some "friends" of a family member were up there a few years ago and trashed the place so he stopped renting out to people he doesn't know.

SSLEVO
01-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Anywhere in northern Wisconsin is nice, and by northern i mean more than 3-4 hours, probably around 5 hours (north of Minocqua). My parents have a cabin in the Boulder Junction/ Manitowish Waters area. Nice trails in the area, put on thousands of miles there growing up.

Rental was said above, 135-150 weekday 175-200 weekend for a 500-600 liquid. Figure on about 10 mpg and oil, 100 miles a day will probably run 40. You don't have to rent any gear, i would hope most people living in Wisconsin have a jacket and snowpants. Pick up an el cheapo helmet if you have to. The damn thing will most likely fog up and piss you off though, lol.

It's expensive but a lot of fun, i haven't got out much over the past few years but i'm going this weekend!

03Mach1
01-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Eagle River, St. Germain, Minoqua area or Mercer area. Some rental places will deliver the sleds to where you are staying also. Snowtracks.com is a good place to go to check conditions and will also supply lodging and rental references on the page for the area you are looking at. Iron or Vilas county and into the U.P. of Michigan "usually" has the highest amount of snow due to lake effect snow. If you are close to the border and venture into Michigan, you need a Michigan trail pass as well if it is not already on your rental sled, and you need to check and make sure the rental place allows operation in Michigan. You will have no problem finding more than enough trails in Wisconsin though. These are the places I would start to look if I needed rentals.

SSLEVO
01-26-2011, 08:21 PM
There is more snow in the UP but i have found over the years that the trails in Vilas County to be in much better shape. There are more clubs and groomers per area. I am willing to bet every mile of trail is groomed at least every couple days, the main trails daily.

JC70SS
01-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Mercer. 3-4 hrs north the snow is shit. S&S Arctic Cat rents sleds you can stay at the great northern motel, they even have a hot tub. From there the UP is a 30 min trip. Our cabin is in Mercer.

WI_Dave
01-27-2011, 06:42 AM
Don't pass up Weasel's if you're up there either. :shades

I have bounced there. No pole but they have blankey time.:headbang

juicedimpss
01-28-2011, 10:12 AM
There is more snow in the UP but i have found over the years that the trails in Vilas County to be in much better shape. There are more clubs and groomers per area. I am willing to bet every mile of trail is groomed at least every couple days, the main trails daily.

if you go during the week(mon-thursday) the trails in MI are the best you can ever ride on.
friday through sunday i not worth the gas to drive up there.
In the past we would drive up sunday,manage about 800-1000 miles by thursday and head home friday morning.

Cryptic
01-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Renting is totally worth it. Just ask anyone that owns and maintains sleds.

Maintenance, insurance, storage, hauling.... Did I mention maintenance?

JC70SS
01-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Renting is totally worth it. Just ask anyone that owns and maintains sleds.

Maintenance, insurance, storage, hauling.... Did I mention maintenance?

Except no studs or good carbides. Especially this year when there is an ice base on the trails....danger for inexperienced riders.

Cryptic
01-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Except no studs or good carbides. Especially this year when there is an ice base on the trails....danger for inexperienced riders.

Then they should be riding a 500cc anyway.

JC70SS
01-28-2011, 02:50 PM
500cc still dangerous on icy trails.

shawn
01-28-2011, 03:48 PM
i actualyy have a friends dad who has 5 acres with a cabin. i believe u can snowmoblile and watever ever else. i think the drive is about 5 hours. if u pm me your number i can pass it along to him. they are trying to move to arizona before spring time and they have to get rid of the cabin first...