PDA

View Full Version : How could I get a motorcycle license?

TransAm12sec
08-01-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm getting more and more into bikes. What would be needed for a 17 year old to get one?

I was thinking of selling my go-kart. 6hp Carter Single Seater.

CruxGNZ
08-01-2004, 11:42 PM
I'm getting more and more into bikes. What would be needed for a 17 year old to get one?
A motorcycle :)

Get your temps, drive around a while, then get road tested at the DMV or you can go to a class at some place like WCTC. If you go to the class, you won't need to get road tested at the DMV. Getting your motorcycle liscense is very easy!

!M!

IWantAnMCss
08-02-2004, 01:27 AM
Take the msf course. You can sign up at matc. After you complete the course the DMV will get your license. The course will also teach you many things like avoiding dumbasses that don't look out for you. The course will be worth the time and money it costs. Also to forwarn you insurance is insane on sport bikes, especially being only 17.

Silver350
08-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Definatly take the MSF course! I just took a class in May. They teach you a lot of extremly usefull things to do on the road to keep you safe. The class is about 70 bucks. When your done you get a waiver to take to the DMV to get your licence so you will not need to do a road test. You might have some problems getting into a class this late but sometimes they take walk in. Just go the first saturday of the class and see if there is no shows. Sometimes people dont show and you can take there spot.

loud91rs
08-02-2004, 09:31 AM
MSF not only helps you become a better rider, the little card they give you lowers your insurance rates! :thumbsup Being 17 i'm sure you need all the help you can get...hell so do I! Just out of curiosity what kind of bike are you looking to get? I recommend an old Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawi, etc in the 650 range...$100 insurance for the year! Then move up to a rocket when you feel comfortable enough. Just my $.02

Rocket Power
08-02-2004, 10:04 AM
One more vote for the MSF course.
My wife and I both took it at WCTC. Best money I ever spent on Motorcycling. :thumbsup

JC70SS
08-02-2004, 01:54 PM
My vote is skip the bike and save your life. 5 confirmed kills this year alone that I know of.

animal
08-02-2004, 02:46 PM
My vote is skip the bike and save your life. 5 confirmed kills this year alone that I know of.

Good call, get something with 4 wheels :)

Silver350
08-02-2004, 03:18 PM
MSF not only helps you become a better rider, the little card they give you lowers your insurance rates! :thumbsup

American family doesn't. They told me my rates would lower if I took the course then when I completed it they told me that they dont offer a discount for that.... :asshole

I know of three Motorcycle accidents locally this year and two of them were because someone did something stupid. Here is what I got off of DOT.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/drivers/traffic/crash/fatality.htm

Fatalities by role (Year-to-date)

2004 2003
Bicyclists 5 , 8
Drivers 258 , 287
Motorcycle-drivers 45 , 65
Motorcycle-passengers 1 , 1
Passengers 90 , 101
Pedestrians 29 , 29
Unknown 2 , 4

First number is the 2004, second is 2004 their site is html so I couldnt post the pretty graph.

Looks like there are more people die in cages so how can you say that you are safer on 4 wheels. If you are going to get into an accident you could live or you could die. depends on how lucky your day is.

JC70SS
08-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Geez scott I wonder. I see thousands of cars each day and a few bikes. It is called high # cars= higher number of deaths. Lower # of bikes= lower number of deaths.
Lets look at the number of auto accidents every day and how many of them are fatal? How many bike accidents are fatal? Probably a very high %.

Silver350
08-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Geez scott I wonder. I see thousands of cars each day and a few bikes. It is called high # cars= higher number of deaths. Lower # of bikes= lower number of deaths.
Lets look at the number of auto accidents every day and how many of them are fatal? How many bike accidents are fatal? Probably a very high %.

how do you know there are more cars then bikes...... It is an opinion. You know why someone would say that because you look on the road and you notice a 2 ton hunk of metal on the road more then you notice a 600 peice of aluminum.

Pig Pen
08-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Get married first so you only have insanily high insurance rates, not just bend you over in the shower and rape me in the @ss jail b!tch style rates. Oh, or you can become 25 years old and get the same break or just do both.

jbiscuit
08-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Scott are you serious? Its an OPINION to say there are more cars on the road than bikes??? BWAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAA...what about winter also my friend. January and February are counted into those DOT tallys. How many GSX-Rs did YOU see cruising highway for bitches in late January? Hmmmm I would have to say just as many as cars hey? :thumbsup

JC70SS
08-02-2004, 04:51 PM
Scott please think before you post. So if I drive down I-94 you are telling me you will see just as many bikes as cars?? I would be suprised if I saw 1 bike for every 25 cars. Next, how many people drive bikes daily? Hardly any. And yes as school bus posted lets include winters, rainy days.

Prince Valiant
08-02-2004, 05:11 PM
A stagering statistic is that although motorcyles account for only 0.34% of the miles driven in the US, motorcycle fatalities acount of almost 8% of the total deaths related to motorcycle accidents.

What it boils down to is that if you are on a motorcyle, you are about 25 times more likely to die as a result of an accident versus driving an automobile...

Pig Pen
08-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Facts are irrelevant in the face of denial of the truth. Bikes kill more people with less riders. I work in the Traffic Unit and have access to all of the current WI. DOT stats on car v. bike deaths in any way you want to slice it. Like whats been said before, there are less bikes on the road, they see a significant amount less road time compared to cars, and survival ratings(luck) is less in any form of reportable personal injury accident involving a stationary object, another vehicle, or animal. Stats don't lie, but not looking isn't a good excuss either.

Silver350
08-03-2004, 06:47 AM
Scott please think before you post. So if I drive down I-94 you are telling me you will see just as many bikes as cars?? I would be suprised if I saw 1 bike for every 25 cars. Next, how many people drive bikes daily? Hardly any. And yes as school bus posted lets include winters, rainy days.

I am not saying that there are more bikes then cars out there in the world. I am just mainly trying to get the point accross that they are not as dangerous as you make them sound. Yeah you take a risk getting on one. From the idiot that dont check over their shoulder. You are making it sound like if you get on a bike that you will get hurt. And that isnt always the case.

jbiscuit
08-03-2004, 08:13 AM
its not that you WILL get hurt but the chance that you can get hurt is pretty good

Pig Pen
08-03-2004, 02:20 PM
I'd rather take my chances in a angle drivers side car crash then an accident on a bike any day.

And speaking of which, ANOTHER biker just went down today.

TransAm12sec
08-04-2004, 01:13 AM
I don't mine the talk about if it's safe or not, but I'd like to know more about getting into bikes. Like are their any good websites for noobs?

Silver350
08-04-2004, 06:45 AM
www.Sportbikes.net is a pretty good site. I go on there an other BCM members are on there. A lot of helpful people on the site that are willing to help new riders.

SSmike1
08-05-2004, 07:15 AM
hey Chris,
this may be true, .4%miles & 8%fatalities in WI,
but also...
You are 1000 times more likely to die from a head injury driving a car
than people who die from head injuries driving a motorcycle.
so
my point is....

if anyone should be wearing a Helmet, it should be Car Drivers,
then lets worry about bikers wearing helmets!

just my 2 cents!
:)

A stagering statistic is that although motorcyles account for only 0.34% of the miles driven in the US, motorcycle fatalities acount of almost 8% of the total deaths related to motorcycle accidents.

What it boils down to is that if you are on a motorcyle, you are about 25 times more likely to die as a result of an accident versus driving an automobile...

SSmike1
08-05-2004, 07:20 AM
I don't mine the talk about if it's safe or not, but I'd like to know more about getting into bikes. Like are their any good websites for noobs?

hey,
i am 45, and have had a motorcycle since i've been 15.
That is 30 years of driving a bike, all types.
the thing is...
you have to be a very defensive driver!!!!!!!
so
if you can not or are not, a very defensive driver,
do not get a bike.

Point is,
even if you have the right of way, and someone pulls out in front of you,
or turns left in front of you,
with a car or truck,
you loose.

you have to watch all the time.
and be thinking of an out, all the time.

otherwise,
I Love Motorcycles.
I'm on my 20th motorcycle already.

:)

ExStyle
08-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Hey I just got my motorcycle license. If your under 18 your required to take the riders course. Just head to the DMV get their riders handbook. Read it go take the test for temps. The temps will allow you to ride by yourself during the day and with an experienced rider at night time (them next to you on another bike not on yours). The riders book has a list of all the places that run classes with phone numbers. Call everywhere youll find different prices but pretty much all of them have quite a wait on them. No matter how you twist it the course is a good thing TAKE IT. If you pass theyll give you a waiver and then all ya gotta do is show the dmv and you get your class m and you wont have to take the road test.