PDA

View Full Version : Bed shopping

LIL EVO
01-20-2011, 10:19 AM
In market for a new bed. Where is the best place to go for prices? There are so many shops these days. Does everyone prices match? Never shopped for a bed.

Bigger establishments better or mattress mania that has 50% off signs everywhere?

05caddyext
01-20-2011, 10:21 AM
went to slumberland furniture last fall. bought a viking memory foam mattress, was $1000. Best bed I have every slept on period. Just like a posturepedic, but half the cost. 20 year warranty.

You spend 1/3 of your life in your bed, don't skimp on a cheap ass mattress. I used to buy crap, whatever was cheapest with some comfort. Never again.

88Nightmare
01-20-2011, 10:50 AM
my girlfriend and I bought a Sealy Embody memory foam mattress from American. Also like a Posturpedic. We got a king size bed so it was pricey but worth it. Still less then comparable Posturpedics. They threw in a bedframe for free and free memory foam pillows. Amazing bed. 20 year warranty. We also got 0% interest for I think 18 months. Once we get our tax returns back we are just going to pay it off.

Exitspeed
01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
I've sold every mattress brand under the sun. I managed a large furniture store in Greenfield and mattresses were my favorite products to sell.

PM Bedroom Galleries Platinum Dreams mattresses are by far the best mattress on the market for a lot of reasons. This coming from an ex-employee who isn't a big fan of them to put it lightly. I used to be in sales there and also designed one of their best selling bedroom sets.

The non-flip thing that happened some 15 years ago was basically a way to save the manufacturers money (which wasn't passed onto the consumer), and to get you back into the store that much sooner because warranties were reduced as well. It seems they've ramped up the warranties again though now.

Mattresses though for the most part are made up of all the same stuff. A mattress for $1000 pretty much has the same type of foam, coil counts, etc etc from every manufacturer.

I could go on forever. I've been out of the industry for like 6 -7 years now but I'm sure not a ton has changed. My $4000 Simmons mattress needs to be replaced soon. I'm actually looking forward to mattress shopping.

But yeah, PM Bedroom Gallery.

WI_Dave
01-20-2011, 11:34 AM
I got mine in Steinhafels discount room. I think it had a double stitch or something made it a great price.

badass88gt
01-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Do you guys have a Verlo store down there? My wife and I are going to buy a bed in a few weeks, we went to the Verlo store here in town and they will build you whatever you want. My brother bought a Sleep Number last fall and they love it.

SSLEVO
01-20-2011, 11:53 AM
We got a good deal on a Simmons at Ashley near calellas in richfield. Went to Steinhafels and the sales people were rude and wouldn't deliver my headboard for free, even though there were delivering my $1200 mattress. They were both coming from the same place too, i checked.

JC70SS
01-20-2011, 01:35 PM
What size? My brother has a memory foam matress, king size he used maybe 3 nights and it just sits. Not for him. He wants to unload it cheap. I believe it is a sleep innovations

LIL EVO
01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
King is good. Any chance of getting the LxW dimensions? Price?

Exitspeed
01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
WxL of a king size bed is always 76"x80". California king (not common anymore) is 72"x84".

Karps TA
01-20-2011, 02:14 PM
My experience with bed warranties is that they are BS. What I've found them to be is great if you don't want your bed for a month while they fix whatever it is that was wrong. Or they'll send you some pieces of foam to put between the mattress and bedspring to "fix" the issue. At this point unless the warranty states will fully replace mattress within x number of years, it might as well not even exist.

Cryptic
01-20-2011, 02:32 PM
I agree with Karps... That or they will find some way to void the warranty. I got burned by this. They said my bed didn't have enough boards supporting the box spring (3 instead of 4). Funny how the bed, boxspring, and mattress were all sold to me together.

Warranties on mattresses are a complete scam.

Exitspeed
01-20-2011, 02:40 PM
^
I can't argue with that. It's up to each store to warranty their mattresses. Some are better then others.

JC70SS
01-20-2011, 06:35 PM
King is good. Any chance of getting the LxW dimensions? Price?

I will talk to him tonight. I will pm you.

Dr.Buick
01-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Do NOT buy a tempurpedic. I have had mine for 4 years and getting warranty for the 2nd time for saging, and i weigh 150 wet. yes they take care of it but its a hassle and evey 2 years it seems.

jamestown478
01-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I've sold every mattress brand under the sun. I managed a large furniture store in Greenfield and mattresses were my favorite products to sell.

PM Bedroom Galleries Platinum Dreams mattresses are by far the best mattress on the market for a lot of reasons. This coming from an ex-employee who isn't a big fan of them to put it lightly. I used to be in sales there and also designed one of their best selling bedroom sets.

The non-flip thing that happened some 15 years ago was basically a way to save the manufacturers money (which wasn't passed onto the consumer), and to get you back into the store that much sooner because warranties were reduced as well. It seems they've ramped up the warranties again though now.

Mattresses though for the most part are made up of all the same stuff. A mattress for $1000 pretty much has the same type of foam, coil counts, etc etc from every manufacturer.

I could go on forever. I've been out of the industry for like 6 -7 years now but I'm sure not a ton has changed. My $4000 Simmons mattress needs to be replaced soon. I'm actually looking forward to mattress shopping.

But yeah, PM Bedroom Gallery.

I love my bedroom set I got from pm gallery. We got a pretty damn good deal too due to buying 4 bedroom sets for our whole house.