PDA

View Full Version : How to find a career?

pOrk
01-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Have been in manufacturing for awhile now and it is wearing me down. I have been with the same company for 3 years and there is NO room for me to grow / improve myself here.

Tech school is an option but how do you pick what to go for? I have SOO many friends with college degrees who can't even land a 10 dollar an hour job, and with the housing market where its at it seems everyone and their mother is becoming a realtor.

I want a job I can turn into a career, the trades seem impossible to get into with so many people out of work that I don't know what to do or where to apply. Anyone here have any suggestions? Kind of a wierd question to ask I suppose but I have tried painting cars, installing fireplaces, running a brake press, etc. Liked them all, but I don't want to be stuck at <35k a year forever.

jbiscuit
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Lots of options out there. Meet with an advisor of a Trade School of your choosing and they can probably be of assistance. Maybe they have a questionnaire or something similar to fill out.

What do you like to do besides debate on BCM? :rolf

Small engine repair, tool and die, machinists, electrician, etc etc are all fields that I have "heard" are in demand. Use your head though too....obviously not a lot of need for constructing homes when nobody is buying. MilwaukeeJobs has the "Find a Job" tab....for any given field you can see how many jobs are available. This could be a good ballpark of what jobs are in demand. Good luck in your search/advancement. Its a great time to think about changing careers to better your family before you have kids etc

BR3W CITY
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
trades are an option but like you said, the line for work is long. I thought about taking the courses to become an inspector of Lead Disposal (since the enviro rules require them), but haven't motivated.

pOrk
01-19-2011, 04:12 PM
There is a high demand for the field I am in but the pay isn't great nor will it ever be no matter how long I do it ( without moving into management ).

I know my buddy is a steamfitter and pay is great WHEN he has work. Now that the power plant is all done in Oak Creek he is out of work and his only real option is to work out of state. Not so good when he owns a home here in Wi and had no plans of leaving anytime soon. And with trades, like you said lots of guys sitting at home because very little building is going on right now, companies are still trying to survive let alone expand.

PonyKiller87
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
If you decide to go to school just make sure you pick a major that directly relates to a job. Don't waste your time getting a degree that will require you to keep going to school to get more and more degrees to get a job, or then eventually you just become over educated and over qualified for jobs. Sounds dumb but there are lots of people like this out there.

Korndogg
01-19-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm a steamfitter also and like you said, things aren't very great right now. I worked 7 hours last week. Luckily I have some work to do down at P&H to keep me busy now but if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be working.

Who is your friend? Is he a Journeyman? PM me if you don't want to say his name on here.

Lash
01-19-2011, 04:29 PM
If you can stick it out 1 year.... wait and get into the trades. Give it a year and things should start to turn around. Construction lags behind the rest of the economy about 12-18 months.

You can still take the tests and stuff now to get yourself on the list. One test will actually cover several trades, so after you pass you can actually sign up to get on the apprentice lists for multiple trades and see which one bites first.

Lash
01-19-2011, 04:30 PM
I worked 7 hours last week.

Yeah, but you're a stroker.

97z2801ss
01-19-2011, 04:32 PM
If you go to the workforce development center at WCTC they have a on the computer questionaire that you fill out and gives you an idea of what your personality or whatever would like to do as a career thus pointing you in the direction of the degree you should obtain to get there. I have used it a few times to help me when deciding as i keep going to school and with obama you get decent grants and stuff to help paying with school. Eric you have my # if you have any questions.

Korndogg
01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Yeah, but you're a stroker.

Not gonna lie. I'm stroking every job I can right now to stay working.

jamest
01-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Labor dept has a great website that you can look up different professions and what their demand will be in the future. http://www.bls.gov/oco/ Doesn't help you decide what you want to do but could help with the researching for an answer.

Lash
01-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Not gonna lie. I'm stroking every job I can right now to stay working.

Hard to make the company money that way. Dudes who don't make the company money on jobs always sit home. ;)

Maybe they'd be more motivated to keep you working if you brought those jobs in on time and budget. Then some other guy can sit home.
:rolf
:durr

wrath
01-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Electrical Engineers are starting to get old. The average Electrical Engineer is in their 50s. 10-14 years ago it was ChEs that were getting old. 7-8 years ago it was Civils. Civils didn't see the demand because just as they were retiring the economy tanked. It'll be at least 5 years before there is any demand for a Civil Engineer without a PE. Without a PE in Civil, chances are you make $40k/year or are unemployed.

IT isn't a bad gig, as long as you're beyond the scope of desktop support junkie. There is a tremendous amount of demand for talented and motivated IT people. I don't know anybody who fits that bill that is unemployed but I know plenty of mediocrity sucking on the government right now. There is a lot of pressure to export/downsize IT across the country because it's hard to put a "value" on what IT provides to a company. Starting about two years ago, and probably dying out in another two years there has been a huge demand for Information Security and IT Security people but you're going to miss that boat. If you've got 3 years of security-related work, have been in IT in more than a helpdesk role, and have a CISSP you can easily find $100k jobs.

Korndogg
01-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Hard to make the company money that way. Dudes who don't make the company money on jobs always sit home. ;)

Maybe they'd be more motivated to keep you working if you brought those jobs in on time and budget. Then some other guy can sit home.
:durr

Its a contract job. There is no "on time" on the job I'm on. We have a PM contract there which pretty much keeps a guy there at all times doing things and then on top of that if they want something new installed or fixed (which is daily) then we get that on top of the PM contract. They are in no rush down there unless something absolutely NEEDS to be up and running right then. So when I say that I am stroking it, I don't sit on my ass and do nothing but I'm not running around busting my ass like crazy just so I can run myself out of work quicker.

I was no where near the only guy sitting home last week. One of the reasons I was sitting home however was because I don't have a company van, just a company pick up, so I can't carry parts like other guys to do service.

SSLEVO
01-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Engineering is where it's at. You get a degree that directly relates to the work you will be doing. None of this generalized stuff that everyone and their brother has these days. It is a little rougher out there now but there are still jobs available. I was making 50k right out of the gate. I have friends that are making 65-70k just 5 years out of school. It really depends on the company and what you are doing, i'm kind of getting the shaft at the moment but it could be worse.

PB86MCSS
01-19-2011, 06:12 PM
If you decide to go to school just make sure you pick a major that directly relates to a job. Don't waste your time getting a degree that will require you to keep going to school to get more and more degrees to get a job, or then eventually you just become over educated and over qualified for jobs. Sounds dumb but there are lots of people like this out there.

Amen. I know of quite a few people who have 4 year degrees but a major that there isn't much or any demand for. I like to think I had some foresight while in school hence my major and it's worked out for me so far. I'm friends with a couple people who were marketing majors which was easier to do and is almost a waste of time/money really. I know of at least one that will admit it, although proving you are capable of learning (getting a degree) still has some value.

Not sure what to recommend but finding something you have some combination of liking and feel you are good or at least pretty competent at is key, if not an obvious direction. So many people change career directions at some point by choice or chance you're not alone.

As for realtors, not sure why there would be more now than there was in the housing boom, I know then it seemed like more people I knew or knew of were getting into it. Buying investment properties to rent in this housing market could be a wise choice for someone who has the funds, be your own boss :shades .

lordairgtar
01-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Well, Pork, at least you don't have the age issue to deal with as well. I'd like to find work at a new company, but it is hard at 57 years of age. Even if I work to full retirement, I'm only going to be able to offer the company 13 years of work. Being on four day work weeks with five to six and a half hours a day really sucks. Plus the kinds of work I do aren't all that plentiful.

BoosTT
01-19-2011, 09:14 PM
I did the 2+2 electrical engineering program at wctc and its a great path to take, if you are into electronics. I could tell you more, if you are interested.

PonyKiller87
01-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Engineering is where it's at. You get a degree that directly relates to the work you will be doing. None of this generalized stuff that everyone and their brother has these days. It is a little rougher out there now but there are still jobs available. I was making 50k right out of the gate. I have friends that are making 65-70k just 5 years out of school. It really depends on the company and what you are doing, i'm kind of getting the shaft at the moment but it could be worse.

I agree, I pretty much knew exacly what I was going to be doing with my Engineering degree while I was in school which really helps get you through the really stupid classes knowing that will be the last time you see them.

Right now I would say in general engineering jobs are stable. For a while ones like mine were a little touchy because the construction industry was so slow there wasn't much to design, but its starting to pick back up. And its really one of those jobs where if your good at what you do and you work hard, finding a job won't ever be a problem.

Moparjim
01-20-2011, 09:58 AM
I too think engineering is a good field at the moment. Like has been posted, you can make $50k or so right out of school, 60-75K after 5 years, and there are plenty of jobs to be had around $80-100K with 10 years or more experience.

Generally, all of said jobs have very good benefits as well.

I would recommend that anyone going for an engineering degree go for an actual 4 year BSME or BSEE, do not get any type of 2 year, 2+2, or tech type degree. Many companies nowadays have a set in stone requirement that you have the 4 year BS degree to qualify for engineering positions. Both Chrysler and WE Energies and many others I have looked into have that requirement, you cant even get in the door no matter how qualified you are unless you have an actual BS in engineering. A lot of sharp, highly qualified ex Chrysler guys (they had been "grandfathered" in at Chrysler when the requirements were put in place in the early 2000s) are getting bit by that and having a hard time finding a good job since a lot of them have the other semi engineering degrees.

88Nightmare
01-20-2011, 10:53 AM
no matter what kind of career field you choose, just remember, a degree is generally never wasted.

Slow5oh
01-20-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm in the same boat.

I'm looking at

Industrial Diesel/Diesel mechanic
Web design/coding/graphics

from looking around on Craigslist diesel mechs are starting from 17-22/hour

Crawlin
01-20-2011, 11:26 AM
If you can stick it out 1 year.... wait and get into the trades. Give it a year and things should start to turn around. Construction lags behind the rest of the economy about 12-18 months.

You can still take the tests and stuff now to get yourself on the list. One test will actually cover several trades, so after you pass you can actually sign up to get on the apprentice lists for multiple trades and see which one bites first.

THIS^^^^

Very good advice. We are getting alot of requests for bids and information and thoughts about sites for building projects. But it's early stage stuff where financing has just gone through for them and the design plans or just coming out.

But like Lash said, it lags behind quite a bit. Enough time though to get that starting education if it's a trade you want to do.

One of the things that might be something, as much as it sounds sucky, is commercial construction cleaning. Not a huge amount of companies out there, but start up a business that goes through and cleans up after the workers have been through an area. Yeah the workers "kinda clean up" but when it's all said and finished most of the time an outside company is hired to go through and make the room/area inspection worthy.(this is the way the company I work for does it, maybe not everyone).

My sister's boyfriend has two companies, one for residential and one for commercial construction. It's not alot of work on his end besides trying to get new business, but he does fairly well and it's more of on the side. It's supplemental income to him, yet is more than what most people make a year for a normal career.

BoosTT
01-20-2011, 12:42 PM
I would recommend that anyone going for an engineering degree go for an actual 4 year BSME or BSEE, do not get any type of 2 year, 2+2, or tech type degree. Many companies nowadays have a set in stone requirement that you have the 4 year BS degree to qualify for engineering positions. Both Chrysler and WE Energies and many others I have looked into have that requirement, you cant even get in the door no matter how qualified you are unless you have an actual BS in engineering. A lot of sharp, highly qualified ex Chrysler guys (they had been "grandfathered" in at Chrysler when the requirements were put in place in the early 2000s) are getting bit by that and having a hard time finding a good job since a lot of them have the other semi engineering degrees.

This was a fad that has since pretty much died as far as I have ever heard. 3 states in the USA require a ME or EE vs MET or EET degrees for some goverment and other projects, due to needing to get pro E cert. Many EE never get the cert anyway.

On another note: EET and MET (2+2) degree graduates have a $5k/year higher starting pay as well as a higher placement rate.

Eitherway, it's really comes down to personal prefence more then anything. One isn't really a better degree over the other, but rather different things.

JC70SS
01-20-2011, 01:29 PM
no matter what kind of career field you choose, just remember, a degree is generally never wasted.

I agree my HS friend got a history Degree from IU and has worked for Microsoft and the Board of trades now in Chicago. Nothing to do with history at all.

lordairgtar
01-20-2011, 04:46 PM
I agree my HS friend got a history Degree from IU and has worked for Microsoft and the Board of trades now in Chicago. Nothing to do with history at all.
Amazing. What caused those entities to hire him then?

Lash
01-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Just what we need......more 'know it all' engineers. :durr

:goof

Prince Valiant
01-20-2011, 05:48 PM

Amazing. What caused those entities to hire him then? That is an interesting question...my guess is that whatever served as his entry level job, it was one in which they hired an individual to train, not someone already possessing the skill they required...

Many jobs used to give intelligence/skills test way back in the 30's and up into the 70's even. But then many of these test were considered discriminitory shortly after the civil rights act, so companies could no longer use them.

So instead of using specific test to determine whether an individual possessed the traits of problem solving, ability to learn new skills, trainability, etc, they went to an almost defacto system of saying "Well, if one possessed a the ability to complete a college education, then they likely have those traits we're looking for...." so college education became "required" by many employers in lieu of being able to test applicants.

Now, because of grade inflation at college campuses, it's being found there are those graduating without the ability to research, persuade, analyze, learn new skills, etc...so, without fail that while a college education is becoming the new HS diploma, post-graduate education will become the old "college education."

Moparjim
01-20-2011, 06:06 PM
This was a fad that has since pretty much died as far as I have ever heard. 3 states in the USA require a ME or EE vs MET or EET degrees for some goverment and other projects, due to needing to get pro E cert. Many EE never get the cert anyway.

On another note: EET and MET (2+2) degree graduates have a $5k/year higher starting pay as well as a higher placement rate.

Eitherway, it's really comes down to personal prefence more then anything. One isn't really a better degree over the other, but rather different things.

I am not saying its a better degree, I'm saying factually that many companies including both major companies I worked for require a straight BSEE or BSME period. WE won't even consider you for any engineering position with a EET or MET degree. It seems dumb to me, there are obviously plenty of sharp qualified people with other degrees, but a lot of companies require the correct piece of paper nowadays.

SSLEVO
01-20-2011, 07:27 PM
I am not saying its a better degree, I'm saying factually that many companies including both major companies I worked for require a straight BSEE or BSME period. WE won't even consider you for any engineering position with a EET or MET degree. It seems dumb to me, there are obviously plenty of sharp qualified people with other degrees, but a lot of companies require the correct piece of paper nowadays.

I do agree that an accredited engineering program is the way to go. I went for manufacturing engineering which is accredited, you learn 7/8 what a mechanical engineer would than then do some processes type classes. But at the same point you are not really able to get a mechanical engineering gig right out of school. I like what i do though, do some design work one day and spend all the next day out in the shop troubleshooting equipment or whatever. keeps it interesting.

On the other hand, I had 2 room mates that went for engineering technology and are doing great, making more than i am even, lol. I think your larger company are still pretty traditional and want the accredited degree. While other companies are more open to the engineering technology majors. You do the same type of stuff with out the heavy calc, thermo and physics. Which IMO should be a passage way to calling yourself an engineer. I could have drank 2 cases a week instead of 1 with out those damn classes:goof

Dr.Buick
01-20-2011, 07:35 PM
I am thinking about going to become a police officer. this working on cars is getting old. you can move up the ranks, retire with a good retirement plan, and that job is always needed.

JC70SS
01-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Jim I have been looking into this for a couple years. This year more than ever. I have many officer friends. I will tell you it is probably harder than most jobs to get into right now. Last Milwaukee application they had I believe 3500 applicants. Just remember all agencies will check your driving record back to day 1, not just the past 3 yrs. The check credit, they call your neighbors to see what kind of person you are. Also you need to go to either WCTC or MATC to get LEO certified. It is a I believe a 14 week 5 days a week course. You may only work a few hours a week during this. Once completed you have 3 years to find employment or you must re-take it. If you are not LEO certified, 90% chance you will not be hired because the municipalities are not willing to pay for you to go through it. You have to self sponsor yourself. I believe it is about $3000 +/-