PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on what welder I should buy?

WI_Dave
01-17-2011, 07:46 AM
I think I am finally gonna get a welder. I am looking for something that is easy to learn with, and can do aluminum later down the road after I get better (with spool gun probably) I have a 60A sub panel in my garage to get my supply. I do not want to upgrade in a year so I want to do it right the first time. I would like to believe I will be doing more and more projects with it once I learn enough and get better. Right now I can make 2 pieces of metal stick together but it will not be pretty :goof

Right now I am leaning towards a 220 mig, maybe a Millermatic 211. What are your suggestions and reasons?

Ricky Bobby
01-17-2011, 08:34 AM
mine is not that big i have a 110 hobart 180 mig that i run flux in right now, have the capability to run gas just havent got the bottle. I use it for all kinds of stuff demo related from welding sheet metal to 1/4" c channel its never let me down and its a bargain line of miller so most parts are readily avail

Haulin' Oates
01-17-2011, 09:36 AM
If welding aluminum is important, I would seriously consider a tig welder. I have a full mig setup for steel in my garage, which I can't live without. I decided early on that I would just pay someone to do any aluminum welding for me.

When considering the cost of mig vs. tig be sure to include the spool gun in the equation. There is considerable cost in a spoolgun.

Very wise investment though.

DRK
01-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Miller

pOrk
01-17-2011, 10:11 AM
I would just go with a hobart 180, same as miller but cheaper. Unless tou plan on welding alum often, I agree with above and just take that somewhere.

Rocket Power
01-17-2011, 10:37 AM
I love my Miller. Mine's only a 110v unit but has infinite adj for heat rather than the 4 settings like a lot of them.

Ricky Bobby
01-17-2011, 10:39 AM
I love my Miller. Mine's only a 110v unit but has infinite adj for heat rather than the 4 settings like a lot of them.yea but my 4 settings get it done and mine was cheaper i bet :goof But seriously my 180 is nice unless im doin like a outlaw cage and lots of 1/4" or bigger then the 220 millermatic my buddy has it awesome

WI_Dave
01-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I want to do aluminum. I looked up the Hobarts and they only listed one 180 and it was battery. They listed a Handler 187 and they have a spool gun offered for that model. Anybody use that spool gun with this welder?

SmokinRAM114
01-17-2011, 10:45 AM
i have the miller, forgot the model. works flawless welding steel and such. i have the aluminum spool gun, it works good.. not best, but good.

BR3W CITY
01-17-2011, 04:04 PM
I've been through a couple; I have a Clark (from Farm and Fleet) that is a 120v, its super-low-end but works well enough for real basic stuff, IMO save the money on something like this and upgrade. I also have about 25 other welders at work that I tend to use instead. We have mostly millers, from the BIG drag-behinds, down through the little portable 120's. Strangely, my favorite welder at work is an older Lincoln 120/240 Mig. Works fllawlessly for all of my automotive uses.
I don't know how to tig so I can't comment on that side.

Dr.Buick
01-17-2011, 04:44 PM
this is the mig I have a great machine works on 110 or 220

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/product.php?model=M00245

and the tig i have works great also but just 220 and i added a foot pedal

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/product.php?model=M00325

Russ Jerome
01-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Before buying a $2000+ high frequency TIG welder (must be high freq to do aluminum) make sure you have the patience.....sold mine to a member here even though it worked flawless. Im just too "get it done now" for TIG welding. TIG welding has to be perfectly clean and by nature its just horribly time consuming. Your gonna need all of your 60a to start welding 1/8" sheet aluminum intake manifolds.

Im using a Lincoln HD3200 110v Mig at home and swap liners for aluminum welding. A dedicated spoolgun is the only way to MIG aluminum, can be made seamle as well as strait Argon. Swapping liners in a 110v Lincoln/Miller will work on aluminum very easily, just wont be pretty (plenty strong). I've made aluminum intakes with it.https://sites.google.com/site/shelbycoltrt/home/138.jpg

Modern 110v welders will do 1/2" plate steel with flux core, do it pretty with gas and a little more prep and time. I can weld paper thin exhaust tubing or roll cages with my $400 Lincoln 3200 from Home Depot, very presentable welds if lamen are watching and want to impress them....im just ADD and want it done NOW and strong :)

WI_Dave
01-18-2011, 07:21 AM
this is the mig I have a great machine works on 110 or 220

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/product.php?model=M00245

and the tig i have works great also but just 220 and i added a foot pedal

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/product.php?model=M00325

That millermatic 211 and spool gun is the one I am leaning towards the most. Almost every welding site I have researched on has listed that as the top "newbie welder."

juicedimpss
01-18-2011, 10:29 AM
get the highest power unit you can afford.
a 220 setup will outweld a 110 all day long,and especially for a beginner,its easier to weld with a bigger welder

Monstr913
01-22-2011, 03:13 PM
i like the miller 252 for a smaller mig machine as far as tig the dynasty models are very nice i use a dynasty 350 at work all the time and never have a problem with it...all the shops that i've worked at millers seem to to the best...your whip is also a big part, i've always had good luck with tweco or bernard. and tig welding is easy, it just overwhelms some people.

WI_Dave
01-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Well I bought the Millermatic 211 yesterday. I got a pretty good deal on it $945 (less than I found it online for) and salesman threw in a new miller cover and two 11lb spools of 0.30. plus whatever is all in the kit from Miller. Now I gotta run a 220v outlet and install the breaker and try her out. I might try it tonite on 110v if I pick-up a helmet.

I did not get the spool gun yet, and it worked out cause when I got home I got a call from my taxidermist saying 1 of my mounts is done (5 months early)